Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:34 AM
fishing machine

Default snorkel gear

Has anyone gone on the PG cruise that need prescription snorkel lenses? In Hawaii all the snorkel shops had them and I am wondering if the equipment on board will be offered for us who wear glasses? It's getting close and I need to figure out what I am going to do for snorkeling. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: snorkel gear

If you have a fairly mild prescription for nearsightedness, regular mask will be fine.
Some snorkel tours offer masks with some correction. Any correction will be better than none. A lot of snorkel tours do not offer prescription masks.
If you realy like snorkelling, invest in a prescription mask of your own. Cost for a decent mask is about $35-$40. Lenses will run about $30-35 each. They come in .5 strengths, get the lenses just below your regular prescription. My prescriptin mask is now about 6 years old, been used several dozen times, still going strong. Any dive shop and many better sporting goods shops will make you up a mask. I do not advise doing it off the web unless you can try on the same model mask somewhere first. No point in investing
$100 or more in a mask that you are not comfortable with.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Snorkeling fan

Default Re: Re: snorkel gear

My husband got prescription goggles before going to Tahiti, and he said that it really improved his experience. I got non-prescription ones (I wear contacts), and was really pleased with the fit and how they keep a good seal, not always the case with rental equipment. It did take up a bit of room to pack snorkels and goggles, but we thought it was well worth it.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: snorkel gear

I got prescription mask, too. Works great. I didn't care for snorkeling at all before having the new mask.

We leave for PG in four weeks. We are planning on getting the snorkle gear checked out in the pool this weekend.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14