Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Default Airfare Rebate?

Hello,

I'm thinking of "upgrading" to an all inclusive line for my next anniversary cruise and I like the super inclusive nature of RSSC, but we live within driving distance of Ft. Lauderdale. Will RSSC give us any sort of rebate or ship credit since we won't be partaking of the airfare?

~L
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Absolutely! I am driving to Ft Lauderdale in January and pocketing the $400 per person savings.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman

One thing to keep in mind...and I think you are on the right track...is that noting is free. On Regent you will pay for everything whether you use it or not. So if you do not drink alcohol, you will still pay for it. Same for tours (which now generally have far more people than when it was pay as you go). The only thing that Regent will credit you for is airfare...but the credit is generally far less than the actual cost of your airfare (domestic air excluded).
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, but I have heard cruise lines offer about the same amount of credit.

However, if the air is included and that is all the compensation you get - I would save those air miles for a different trip.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I dont' want to make this a "What is 'free' air?" thread, but when you take the air offered by Regent (i.e. pay for it) you may not get the flights times, airlines or nonstops that you want. Regent overall is better than many of the more mass market lines in that regard, but for the flights you want you may have to pay extra.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Obviously, if a person is close enough to drive to Ft Lauderdale then the $400 credit is a worthwhile difference, but if you are talking about Europe (and you live in Florida) and it is still just $400 credit, then it is not worth giving up the included air.

Now - I don't know if Europe is still just a $400 credit - it could be a lot more.

I guess this isn't rocket science - either the air or the credit is a better deal. You just have to go Expedia and see what the air is going for right now.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Paul, don't bother getting into an argument with Goldring; you will never convince him.

BTW, the credit has been $1000 for my European cruises and $1200 to $1500 for my Asian cruises.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

It is pretty simple: It isn't "free" air and air is the only "free" item on Regent that you get a credit for if you don't use it.

Flying roundtrip to Asia for $1,500 isn't going to happen nor is flying to Europe for $1,000...in most instances...using the best routing.

Not sure what it is that I am supposedly needing convincing of, but let's keep it civil.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Marc - I don't argue. I just look at facts. if it is more convenient for someone to take frequent flier miles to get to Europe and get a $1000 credit then they are doing the right thing, even if they might have gotten there cheaper another way. Maybe so, but maybe not as conveniently. Every case is different.

My understanding is that Regent raised their fares before they started this "free" air thing. But a lot of cruise lines are raising prices now anyway and offering nothing, so in itself that proves nothing.

But I do know that sister company "Oceania" just got their knuckles rapped by some gov't agency for claiming they had free air when in fact there were hidden service charges in the cruise fare - so...

But if a person is a satisfied customer who am I to tell them they are wrong? It is worth it to some people to pay extra for something they really like - not everyone has the same way of perceiving value.

I will pay extra for food I like, a bigger TV or a BluRay movie. Big TVs cost more per square inch - but does that mean I am getting ripped off? No.

That is what puts luxury cruising in a different category. A lot of it is personal taste. Some people want small ships, some people want bigger ones, some want the same waiter every night, some want open seating.

I do know that Eric has a lot of experience with the luxury lines - but he also seems to be enough of a pro that he understands that everyone deserves the right to their own opinion.