Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

River Cruises River cruises worldwide discussed here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Familiar Face

Smile Viking River Amsterdam to Budapest

We have never been on a River Cruise and thought this one looked very interesting. I was wondering what other's who have been on this cruise line and specifically on this cruise, thought of it.
Were there any "not to miss" museums, cultural sites etc along the route to visit on our time off from organized tours?
Do most of the River Cruise lines require full payment up to 10 months out from date of cruise?
I see that one can bring Wine onboard, but wondered about bringing Spirits (Gin for instance and mixers) for private consumption in room? The brochure does not address that issue, having been on a cruise with HAL it was spelled out for us.
If anyone has any experience with traveling on Viking, I would appreciate any input you may have. I thank you in advance for your responds.
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Captain

Not doing Viking cruise but we are also doing a river cruise in June same route
Most river cruise lines allow you to bring alcohol for your cabin use

We have booked with Scenic Tours & they only require a non refundable deposit until 90 days out
Other lines may differ

enjoy the cruise
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Our Viking Experience

BJM, we did this cruise in reverse in late October and I'll paste below a review I posted on another blog. It might help you prepare. Now the Sky is one of their older boats and ours was the second last sailing of the season. We did not encounter low water levels and completed the cruise as scheduled.

We sailed on the Viking Sky journey from Budapest to Amsterdam. The boat sailed at less than capacity with the more expensive cabins offered in the initial meeting. Since we’d already unpacked and settled into our compact, but efficient cabin, we didn’t investigate costs. Viking Sky is one of the older boats and it appeared to us that the third deck cabins offered the same window size as our second deck one, and no additional space.

We travelled low season, so ‘enjoyed’ the anticipated damp chilly weather with some days of crisp sunshine. The skies were blue for our pre cruise stay in Prague where Viking provided excellent, ‘hand holding’ service. They provided similar care for our extension in Amsterdam. After years of independent travels we enjoyed this worry free holiday.

At most stops we were most impressed by the knowledge and good humour of our local guides. There was never even the slightest hint that tips were expected. This allowed the parsimonious to escape, while the rest of us chose to offer a genuine tip, rather than a guilt offering, as can be demanded by some guides.

We were surprised that the advertised walking tours in cities often began with a typical bus tour of the more distant local sites. We’d expected LONG hikes especially in Vienna. The ABC walking guide is overly cautious, in my opinion, and passengers with electric chairs appeared to be accommodated easily as long as they could navigate the bus steps.

We chose a few of the optional excursions, but the costs were reasonable averaging about 50 Euros per person.

We were well served by our cabin steward. Because the staff is small the cruise director and front desk staff must multi task. What her daily talks lacked in depth, she made up for in enthusiasm. They brought on board an expert who gave a great overview of European History with an emphasis on the European Union and another expert on Windmills.

We received friendly competent service from each staff member. They’ve been well trained ‘to please the guests’. On our first night Bob couldn’t get connected to the internet. The young girl at the desk patiently worked to solve, what was to her a ‘new challenge’ and to us an ‘insurmountable’ one. We made almost daily use of the free internet.

The director noted upon our arrival that since the officers were of German temperament, things would run efficiently. I found the dining room staff too efficient for my taste, clearing away a course before the final bite was swallowed and arriving post haste with the next one. But each table steward was friendly and available.

We found most of the beautifully presented meals blandly pedestrian, but nothing about which we’d complain. We aren’t fans of sausage, almost a daily offering, but we were travelling thru' 'sausage' countries. The breakfast buffet was a generous one offering a delicious and different kind of local bread or sweet roll each morning. After our first dinner I skipped the decaf Nescafe offered. A machine in the lounge provided a non- stop supply of many types of coffee.

We didn’t sleep particularly well on this trip, never getting used to the noise of going thru’ multiple locks in the early days, and late night departures from time to time. We were on the second deck

This was our first European River Cruise, having done the Yangtze on a Chinese line catering to English speakers and the Nile with Movenpik. These two river cruises were part of longer travels in Asia and the Middle East. We paid Viking in full over a year in advance and feel we received good value for our vacation dollars with their early specials. We’ve sailed on Celebrity, our favourite, HAL and NCL and would equate our Viking experience to our experiences on NCL as far as food, service and overall quality are ranked. But river cruising is an entirely different experience so perhaps any comparison is unfair.
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We have done the Amsterdam to Basil and the Budapest to Amsterdam with Viking. Truly loved each. The food was better on the Budapest trip. If you have never done river cruising you are in for a treat. Everything is included, including your tours. One trip we even got wine, not a glass but bottles of wine on the tables at dinner. Everyone has their meals at the same time, so you get to know the other passengers. There is no entertainment in the evenings like you would have on the big ships, but they did bring some locals on to sing, some did glass blowing, etc. All I can say is GO, you will love it! PS: the rooms are smaller than you are probably used to, so pack wisely.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have done this cruise. It is just a lovely cruise. There are not a lot of significant landmark sites along the way, but they are abbeys and hofbrauhauses and just beautiful scenary the whole way.

It's trip to the interior of a very historic land.

The highlight was Vienna - especially the Schonbrun Palace - home of the Hapsburgs. I learned an awful lot about European history I had never known before.

At one time Vienna was practically the capitol of the world - like today's New York or London.

After the cruise we took a trip to Salzburg - that was extraordinary.