Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2000, 08:48 PM
sea lady

Default rude awakening!!!!!

Just returned from the majesty of the seas... cruise was enjoyable but had the cabin steward from hell... ran out of shampoo(minor) ran out of toilet paper(major)... had to call room service for a roll... girl who delivered it looked like she wanted a tip (don''t think so) but the worst was the last morning when the cabin steward programed our phone to wake us up at 5:50am,I have had room stewards bang around outside and even one knock... but never thatgaull!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoyed being one of the last people off the ship ... oherwise nice cruise...
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2000, 09:02 PM
sea lady

Default RE: rude awakening!!!!!

why is this message in.. the trash.....
do we have honesty here.... my posiitive comments are on the post and this is gone not too much honesty on the board..... not too much honesty on the majesty either........ that was my 32 nd cruise and things aren't getting any better,, .... I'm almost thinking of a land vacation.... and this year I have introduced 5 people to cruising.... maybe I lead them astray
Old October 9th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Ceddie

sea lady sorry to hear about your steward I'm sure I would be quite annoyed also if anyone got me up at that time on vacation. I am rather puzzled by your second message what do you mean by the message in the trash ?? if possible perhaps you could explain.
happy cruising
Ceddie
Old October 10th, 2000, 12:05 PM
BillG

If your room steward was responsible for the outrageously early wake up call, you certainly have grounds for complaint and I hope you directed that complaint to RCI's guest services department when you returned home. However, your comments about having other room stewards making noise and knocking on your door to get you stirring on the final day of your cruise does make me wonder a bit about what time you think it is appropriate to relinquish your room and allow the steward to ready it for the next passengers. During the week long cruise, what time of the morning did you usually leave your stateroom? I, too, enjoy being among the last to leave the ship, flight schedule permitting, but I prefer to spend that time up on deck out of the way of the staff who have to work diligently to prepare for the next week's guests. Only you know whether or not you tend to vacate your room at a reasonable time that allows the room steward to do his or her job.
Again, that would still not justify the wake up call routine, and I hope you made RCI aware of this situation.
Old October 10th, 2000, 08:28 PM
sea lady

the next day when I was looking for replys... my message had disappeared.. I found it looking at old messages... when it wasn't old... I was disturbed because I have posted many positive remarks that remain... but this one disappeared... I did not think that it was completely negative .. but amazing that a cabin steward could be that bad... we ignored the lack of supplies and tipped him... but in the future I will not tip until the last day... I think that his actions were alot of nerve... maybe first time cruisers would think that it was great but when breakfast was being served in the dining room until 8:30am... there was no reason to get up at 6Am... However, when I went to breakfast at 7:45 most pasengers were sitting with their luggage in the lobby half asleep.... been there done that...won't do it again!!!
Old October 10th, 2000, 09:09 PM
sea lady

The dining room was serving breakfast until 8:30am. I went to breakfast at 7:45.. allowing plenty of time for the dining room staff and the cabin steward.. the time that I experienced banging was on a Carnival ship at approximately 7:00am... As previously stated, I have been on 32 cruises and am consious of the need for the cabin steward to have access to the room... but after the 5:50 wake up call... I was hoping that I was the last to vacate the cabin... after the dining room people told the passengers that they needed to be there at 6:30am, I wonder haw many 1st time cruisers were happy about the outrageously early call... when I went to breakfast,most passengers were sitting in the lobby... half asleep... on the last day you become a non passenger... it is a shame.
Old October 11th, 2000, 10:56 AM
First Mate

The reason your post was "in the trash" was that you had already read it so it was not a "New Message" on your computer. For anyone who hadn't read it would still appear as a "new message"!
Old October 11th, 2000, 02:25 PM
sea lady's sister

On my first cruise...transatlantic on the QE2, there was so much banging and clattering at our door on the last day we arose at the crack of dawn like soilders....to be one of the many waiting for the ship to be cleared and the gates to open!
On this "top notch" cruise (18 years ago we frequently had that clattering at the door....I am a sleeper, and on vacation a worker's problems are not mine. I would prefer not to be disturbed over having my room straightened...just leave the towels at a convenient time for the room steward, if his schedule is more important than mine.

The point is...when I am at work, it is my obligation to appease the customer...when I vacation, I am the customer.
Old October 12th, 2000, 08:39 PM
sea lady

AMEN !!!!
Old October 13th, 2000, 08:47 AM
emgrace

I agree with you 100% sea lady's sister! I think you have every right to ignore the crack of dawn banging. Technically you are still on vacation. You paid for that last day! I realize the steward has a job to do. But on vacation I don't think I could make that a top concern for myself. Ecspecially at that time of the morning! I second the Amen!
Old October 13th, 2000, 08:53 PM
SeaBrz

I totally agree with all of you, and had the same experience on all of my past 8 cruises, except for the last one. I cruised on the Fantasy this past August and our cheap, outside cabin on Main Deck Aft was the most quiet cabin ever! I was pleased that Carnival has refrained from making deck-wide announcements every morning of all the excursions that are leaving. In fact, other than the Muster Drill, we never heard another announcement the whole cruise!

Since all your major packing is done the night before debarkation, there's not a whole lot to do the next morning. We awoke, on our own, at 7:15 a.m., took quick showers and were out of the room just a little after 8. Our cabin steward was standing outside of our cabin, but he had made no noise. He actually seemed surprised when he saw us since we had been "late sleepers" (8:30 a.m.) on the previous two mornings, and thanked us when we left.

Of course, like you all have experienced, we then sat up on deck for the next 2+ hours waiting for permission to get off .... but at least there was coffee! :-)

Leaving on SOS next Thursday!!!!!