Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2000, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Should there be lifeguards on pvt. islands

Should there be life guards on the private islands owned, managed, by the cruise ships????? On a recent cruise, a friend was severely stung by something while swimming...not too far out.

When I was on the island owned by the Big Red Boat (yikes!) their lifeguard demanded I leave the water in the area I had choosen, because of dangerous "fish" in that area. He instructed me where safe swimming was available. Most beaches have life guards.....so why are they not on the beach in Coco Cay???????????
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2000, 02:46 AM
First Mate

Default RE: Should there be lifeguards on pvt. islands

Good question, on Royal's other private island, Labadee...they do have lifeguards, but they are what I would consider poor excuses for lifeguards. I am a certified guard for the american red cross and the YMCA, after visiting Labadee twice I observed their guards, I think he was in the chair for a total of ten mins out of the whole day. The rest of the time I watched him walk around and talk to other staff members and not watch the water. You should also notice that they have no lifeguards onboard ship at the pools.
I wouldn't let this deter you, in my opinion you should feel confident about your swimming ability before you decide to venture out.
Old October 13th, 2000, 10:07 PM
sea lady

good comments...I have seen "life guards" doing all kinds of other things.... thesheraton beach in the Bahamas comes to mind... but there are all kinds of beach issues that maybe the cruise lines and any one else who maintains a beach or pool should be aware of... transitional jelly fish and other sea creatures are a concen as well as rip tides.. hope that they take heed
Old October 18th, 2000, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on Coco Cay in June of this year, and there were 3 lifeguards in stations all day long, and I too was stung by something on the bottom of my foot while wading in the shallow water near shore beyond the watersports area (yes, I was barefoot and won't do that again!). My biggest problem was that it was going to cost over $100 to see the doctor "after hours", so thank goodness I brought peroxide & first aid cream! Worked wonders!

Anyway, lifeguards were present even though it didn't help my boo-boo!!
Old October 18th, 2000, 09:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wonder if they have recently done away with lifeguards?????...I was there the lst of October....and saw NONE!

Bringing first aid items is a very smart idea! Rubbing alochol is suppose to be very good for jellyfish stings. My research indicates that my friend was hit by a Stingray....I hope this is an odd occurrance.
Old October 19th, 2000, 09:35 PM
sea lady

Just thought that the out islands were paradise... sort of brings reality back when someone get hurt so innocently... hope that the cruise line has some people with more knowledge of the subject... poor chap was told to go back to england and see if they could figure out his problem... what do they know about tropical fish problems in england?????? he also figured that the experts should be on the ship or in key west....so did I...hope he is ok... haven't heard from him..