Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2001, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Default Sea Sickness

My wife and I will be cruising on Explorer at the end of April. We have never cruised before, largely because we both have sensitive stomachs and were nervous about trying it. For example, I have to take Dramamine when I fly. Should we get the patch or should we just use Bonine?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Sea Sickness

Hi Tom,
Today, with these huge ships, you really don't feel much motion at all, but just in case I've always traveled with Bonnine and people do say it works, although I have yet to use it. We too are on Explorer in April, the 21st. When in April are you going??

Here is a link to the "first cruise" section here at Cruisemates, should give you lots of interesting information and tips:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Hi Donna,

We leave on Apr. 28 so we will probably pass one another.
Enjoy!

Tom
Old January 26th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Hi Tom,
I guess we can wave to each other :-) WE can exchange stories when we get home, have a great cruise on Explorer, I know I plan to.

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Im so jelious! The Explorer being so huge and the waters generally are quite @ calm in the Caribean there is little chance of getting sea-sick. Bonnine is a good choice for emergincy for it has little side effects as other remedies. You will be so busy doing all the fun things on and off shore you probbly wont pay much attention to it. Rix
Old January 26th, 2001, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Have battled motion sickness all my life, finally have found ginger capsules to be my savior, no side effects, you are not sleepy and can enjoy your cruise. You can get them at your local grocery store and start taking them a couple of days before the cruise.
Old January 27th, 2001, 12:04 AM
Passenger

Although I am not extremely prone to motion sickness, I must say that you can indeed feel the motion of the ship even in the Caribbean. It doesn't make me queasy, but I can definitely feel it and think it's quite soothing at night while drifting off to sleep. I'd say if you take medication to fly, you'll definitely need some for the ship. I agree with Judy, ginger works quite well without any side effects at all. The patch, Dramamine and Bonine all have side effects to one degree or another, mostly marked drowsiness.

Also, another tip is to keep your stomach full. The crew on the ship will tell you the same and it really does work. With a queasy stomach, eating is the last thing you'll want to do, but it will definitely help. I cruised 2 weeks ago and felt a bit queasy one morning, but felt 100% after breakfast in the dining room. So I speak from experience. Also, you could order some ginger ale to drink which will help calm your stomach.

Have a great cruise!

-Dana
Old January 27th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Tom, I think I can give you the no-holds bar version of what it is like to cruise, because I am the same way as you -- prone to car sickness especially. (And the news ain't bad at all!!!)

We sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas to Mexico for a week -- it was smooth sailing, but definitely coming back, the ship "bounced" against the waves.

The worst I can say is that the first day and a half, I felt like I perpetually stepped off an elevator -- that swimmy feeling in the head. In fact it was a fun point of conversation at dinner. But I still ate like a horse the whole time -- gained 2 pounds!

I *never* felt as if I was going to toss my cookies. What I did was chew the Bonine *whenever* I felt the ship's movement. I only took two tablets a day for the first two days, and after that, only before we hit the bus rides for excursions. I wasn't sleepy at all and felt it was a great preventative measure.

Honestly, if anyone would get sick it would be me, and you are gonna be just fine on the Explorer! Just use whatever medication you have whenever you feel odd. Also it does help to step outside, and we were lucky enough to have a balcony so that minimized public area trips.

Honestly, the ship movement makes for a great nap and sound night of sleep (oddly enough) ... and a little bit of liquor *helps* you to walk in a straight line.

Don't let it worry you -- you'll have a great time. I'm already planning our 2nd cruise!

Harry
Old January 27th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Hi Harry,
Glad you enjoyed your cruise on Rhapsody, one of my favorite ships! Loved all the art work through out the ship. Sound to me like you are addicted as the rest of us :-) Any ideas what the next one will be?

Donnassei
Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:36 AM
Beginner

I actually get motion sickness quite often...I can only sit in the front seat in the car for exactly that reason...and even then mountain driving is not a good thing. As for the Caribbean (which is the only place I've ever cruised), I STILL get motion sick if I don't take Bonine every day, starting the day before I travel and continue straight through until I get home. The least little bit of motion on the ship will make me feel queasy, so this is the only way (and I LOVE cruising and the ocean...so I've grown used to taking Bonine ) Bonine doesn't seem to make me drowsy like Dramamine, although I know some people still experience drowsiness even with Bonine. I've never tried Ginger, and I've been told many times that it works...but quite honestly I'm afraid to ruin my whole cruise by attempting to take something other than my trusty Bonine
Old March 1st, 2001, 12:17 PM
Kathryn

I also take Dramamine to fly and was extremely fearful of sea sickness on my first cruise. I usualy take the Dramamine II (which is the same as Bonine) before my flight. It lasts for 24 hours. It helps me adjust to the ship and then I am fine. Realize that you may feel some motion on the ship, but don't confuse that with sea sickness.
Old March 2nd, 2001, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Tom,

I too was very nervous on our first trip Feb 18. I experience motion sickness frequently in cars, buses etc. I took Ginger capsules starting about 3 days before we left and was fine until we hit really bad weather on Monday. My husband was given Bonine by the Pursers desk (seems to be the remedy of choice) and I rode it through with my Ginger but I was physically sick and spent most of the day in bed due to the high winds. Tuesday AM woke up and all was calm for the rest of the week. Complaints I heard about Dramamine was drowsiness. I saw many people with patches, but they too felt the motion.

Have fun, it is very rare to experience this kind of weather (so many told us). It was well worth it and we will still cruise again!

Merry