Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Passenger

Default Explorer Experience

Just back from seven wonderful nights aboard Explorer. An absolutely fabulous ship! Staff, service, meals, entertainment, all were superb. Cat C Cabin on Deck 10 was very spacious and comfortable with lots of storage space, even a walk-in closet. Food was excellent (better than Voyager I think), and we also ate twice in Portofino which was wonderful - a different dining experience to main Dining Room, more relaxed and leisurely, with very attentive waiters.
Highest praise goes to Captain Johnny Faevelen, who was without doubt the most amusing and humerous Captain I have experienced: his speeches were so entertaining and interesting.
If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer.

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Explorer Experience

Hi Sandra,
Wow, love hearing all this good stuff about Explorer, wish I was going tomorrow.
Is there a certain show that is not to be missed or anything else? Going in April and can't wait, can U tell :-) Welcome back and thanks for posting your comments.

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Zoey

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the report, you sound super charged which is making us all even more(if that is possible) excited for our cruises. Are there any shore excursions not to be missed? I would love to hear everything! ABOUT everything!
Thanks,
Zoey
Old January 26th, 2001, 04:10 PM
First Mate

My husband & I are going in March - our 1st cruise.
Tell us everything we should do & see! Thanks-
Old January 26th, 2001, 07:01 PM
maelstrom

Hi Sandra,
Glad to hear your experience of Explorer was so positive. My wife and I would like to try Portofino and were wondering if the dress code adheres to formal, semi-formal or casual nights. Or is it always casual? Thanks
Old January 27th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Passenger

The recommended dress code for Portofino is smart-casual, regardless of the particular code in the main dining room for the night, although there were gentlemen dressed with and without jackets and tie.
Be sure to make your reservation in plenty of time as seating is limited.
Old January 27th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Zoey,

It's very hard to recommend an excursion as there are so many available for all tastes. I am a big sun worshipper so I was first ashore on Labadee and on the last tender back to the ship! Similarly in St. Thomas, I spent the day on the beach at Magen's Bay, however there are plenty of tours of the island available which you can do on your own in a taxi, or pre-book on board.
In San Juan, I went to the Bacardi Distillery which was very interesting, and there are various tours available of Old San Juan. It is a lovely old town, and easily accessible from the port.
In Nassau I went on a snorkelling trip in the morning, on a Catamaran, which took 3 and a half hours and was so relaxing. There was still plenty of time for shopping in the afternoon.
The Excursions! desk is open regularly and the staff are all very helpful and knowledgeable. You will also find lots of useful information on your tv in your cabin.
You can book all your tours on the tv, and I would suggest that if there is something you particularly want to do, to book on your first day to avoid disappointment!

Sandra
Old January 27th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Hi Pat,

You will have a wonderful holiday, and are going on the perfect ship for a first cruise.
Try to board as early as possible so you will have plenty of time to explore before you set sail. We arrived at the port at 11am, and although there was a huge crowd, there are plenty of check-in desks and the process is remarkably quick. We boarded at 11.30am, and had the whole day to get into the spirit of things. Be warned: your luggage probably won't be delivered till late afternoon, so have essential items in your hand luggage (sunscreen, swimming togs etc!).
All the on-board and port information is available all day on the interactive tv in your cabin, and each evening your Cruise Compass, the ship's daily newsletter, will be delivered to your cabin with details of the following day's activities.

You have a fantastic experience ahead of you, I am sure it will be the first of many!

Sandra
Old January 27th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sandra,
I am even more excited about our March 24th cruise after reading how excited you were. For anyone who may be cruising on the Explorer in the future, I found a wonderful website with a cruise review on the Explorer with LOTS of pictures, now you want to really get EXCITED go to http://psp.club.tip.nl/ and click on the Explorer. It's a long read but very informative, and the picures WOW! My suggestion to all bring LOTS of film and a video camera 'cause from what I hear and see from all the pictures you're going to be busy. Ha! Ha! 56 days and counting, I can hardly wait! Thanks again for you tips.
Smooth sailing to all,
Mary Martin
Old January 29th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Donna B.

So glad someone finally gave us good report! Going 3/3/01 and can't wait. Just bought my new cocktail dress and ready to party!.
Old January 29th, 2001, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info- we are so excited-can hardly wait.
We are going to Miami from Memphis March 10. Do you think we should go a day ahead to be safe?
My husband wants to know if you REALLY wear at tux or dark suit 2 nights to dinner. He doesn't want to.
Old January 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
George in NY

Sandram Welcome home, so glad you had such a great sailing. We go in June and also have a cat C on deck 10, what was your cabin number? Did you take pictures of it.

George in NY
Old January 31st, 2001, 10:40 AM
Shari

Pat

I just got back two weekends ago from Explorer, totally depressed by the way. Anyway about your husband's question, there are two formal nights. I would say 95% of the men had on a tux or dark suits. Mine rented a tux on board before we got there (using the brochure included in our tickets). It was around 90 dollars and included two suits and was in our room when we got there and they picked it up on Friday. He wasn't real enthused about it at first but was SO GLAD he did. There were a few men that weren't dressed up (no suit) but honestly, they stuck out like a sore thumb and looked out of place. If you can talk him into it I would do so. Also remember you don't have to go to dinner to get the same food. You can order room service with the same items you have at dinner. There is a menu in your book in your room. We did that a couple of nights and ordered one of EVERYTHING on the menu!! We were too embarassed at dinner to do so but had no reservations with room service!!

Have a blast. It was the most awsome vacation I have ever had. In fact we booked another one on Adventure for 2002 before we left the ship.

Shari
Old January 31st, 2001, 11:10 AM
First Mate

WOW! Sounds great! I am going to insist on the dark suit
going with us & we will order room service too. Did you have long waits for room service? Did you ever order breakfast room service?
Old January 31st, 2001, 01:05 PM
Shari

We only had one bad experience waiting for room service. They lost our order somehow but after calling three times finally got it. It ended up being a two hour wait. The usual wait was about 1/2 hour, mostly shorter. We ordered room service for breakfast everyday but one. There are breakfast room service menus in your room when you get there that you hang out the night before and you indicate what you want and what time you want it delivered (just like a lot of nicer hotels). That was our wake up call (they call before they come) and ensured we were up and ready for fun!
Old January 31st, 2001, 04:43 PM
First Mate

I can't tell you how ecstatic my husband will be!!!!
Which ports did you enjoy the most? I like to shop, but hubby would rather people watch.
Old January 31st, 2001, 08:19 PM
Corrie

Hi Sandra,
I am glad to hear you had such a good time on the Explorer. My husband and I are going to be sailing on the Explorer in April, it is our first cruise so I have a couple of questions and it sounds like you might be able to answer them.
First, how dressy are formal nights? Are we talking floor length ballgowns or just nice knee length cocktail dresses?
Second, I read somewhere that the bathrooms on the Explorer do not have electrical outlets only built in blow dryers. Is this true? I am very attached to my own blowdryer so I am a little concerned.
Lastly, I also heard somewhere that the lines to disembark at the different ports of call could be very long and it might take hours to get to shore, was this your experience on the Explorer?
Sorry to ask so many random questions but I am having a hard time finding the answers anywhere.

Corrie
Old January 31st, 2001, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Hi Corrie

The formal nights are as dressy as you want them to be. The style was wonderful on my trip, a cross section between long and short. Go for what you are happy in. Of course there are plenty of options for the casual cruisers as well, and there really isn't any pressure on anyone such is the dining choice on board.

There are plenty of electrical outlets in the cabins for your video camera, cellphone etc, and a hair dryer is also provided.

We never experienced any long line disembarking the ship. Mind you we did disembark quite early at each port, maybe things got slower later in the day.

Sandra
Old January 31st, 2001, 11:39 PM
Zoey

Is there any charge for room service?
Thanks for the info.
ZoeyShari wrote:
>
> We only had one bad experience waiting for room service. They
> lost our order somehow but after calling three times finally
> got it. It ended up being a two hour wait. The usual wait was
> about 1/2 hour, mostly shorter. We ordered room service for
> breakfast everyday but one. There are breakfast room service
> menus in your room when you get there that you hang out the
> night before and you indicate what you want and what time you
> want it delivered (just like a lot of nicer hotels). That was
> our wake up call (they call before they come) and ensured we
> were up and ready for fun!
Old February 1st, 2001, 12:02 AM
Passenger

No Charge Zoey, just allow for 30 mins delivery time. You can order room service on your interactive tv as well as by phone which is quite handy.
Old February 1st, 2001, 10:44 AM
Zoey

Thanks Sandra......Sandra wrote:
>
> No Charge Zoey, just allow for 30 mins delivery time. You can
> order room service on your interactive tv as well as by phone
> which is quite handy.
Old February 1st, 2001, 05:50 PM
Corrie

Sandra,

Thanks for the info! It is very helpful.

Corrie
Old February 2nd, 2001, 08:52 PM
Lindy

Great to here - thanks for the review of EXPLORER. Capt Johnny is the best! He was Capt twice now for us....last year on Voyager was the last time we cruised with him. We are booked on Explorer this April....hope he is not off duty! Lindy