Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2001, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default First Time Cruisers Enchantment 02/18 - Any Tips??

Hi there,

My husband and I are taking our two daughters 17 and 20 on our first cruise!! We are soooo excited, not sure about where everything will fit in our single cabin, is there lots of space?? Also, how is this ship for kids their age, will they be bored and drive us crazy?? Any hints on saving beverage costs, my husband and I like to enjoy a few drinks (we are used to all inclusive). Can we bring alcohol on board or buy on day trips?? Any suggestions on anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

19 days and counting (we are not too excited)
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2001, 08:23 PM
Bob T.

Default Re: First Time Cruisers Enchantment 02/18 - Any Ti

First of all, there will be plenty for your kids to do. You should be OK there. If you buy wine and bring it to the dining room, they will charge you a fee for opening and pouring it.

If the two of you are sharing one regular cabin with the kids, space will be a challenge. Luggage will either have to go under the bed, or you will have to ask your cabin steward to store it somewhere for you. The Enchantment is a beautiful ship. You should have a great time!!!
Old January 31st, 2001, 09:40 PM
Ceddie

When we were aboard Enchantment the best place to buy liquor was in the on-board shops (very inexpensive) It is actually against the rules but if you dont carry the bottle around and just keep it in the cabin no-one bothers you. For the kid's I suggest buying a coke card I think it costs $15:00 but is well worth the cost as all they have to do is show it and all drinks are free. Otherwise I think a soda is about $1:00 (this covers all soda it does not have to be coke).
Have a great trip we enjoyed the enchantment a lot
Ceddie.
Old January 31st, 2001, 09:45 PM
Ceddie

Forgot to mention We are going on the Rhapsody of the seas the same day you are going on the Enchantment please post a note on your return to tell us how you loked your first cruise.
Ceddie.

Old January 31st, 2001, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts about preference for early vs late dinner?? My husband and I have lots of discussion on this.. we don't want to be rushed to dress for dinner (you can imagine 3 women getting ready in the same cabin), but then we don't want to miss out on the evening entertainment. What do you think??
Old January 31st, 2001, 10:45 PM
First Mate

Hey.. im going on the same cruise- im a 17/f, and my 20 year old sister and her fiance will be on the ship too. this is my 5th cruise. the cabins aren't that big, but 4 can manage.. see ya soon!--libby
Old January 31st, 2001, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Libby,

That's great! The girls were sure we were taking them on an old folks boat. It is nice to know there will be some younger people there. Any tips for them on what to wear, their wardrobe is pretty bare when it comes to formal attire??
Old January 31st, 2001, 11:48 PM
Ceddie

Merry the preference for first or second sitting is a long standing debate. many people prefer first so they can relax after dinner and maybe see both shows, other people (myself included) prefer late seating so you don't have to rush back from the beach to get ready for dinner every night there are many reasons for and against both so pick one and hope you like it your cruise will not be spoiled by making the wrong choice.
Have a great cruise but be warned it can be addictive.
If you get a chance there is a great cruise chat on this site every weeknight at 9:00 est and mon, wed, fri 7:30 pst lot's of people here will be only too happy to answer all your questions and maybe even some you didn't think to ask.
Ceddie

Old February 1st, 2001, 01:15 PM
Glen

Merry,
We are also going on the Enchantment the 18th. We were on the Enchantment's sister ship last year the Grandeur of the Seas and had such a great time that we came back and setup this years cruise on the Enchantment (This will be our 5th cruise with the kids). We always bring our two girls 20 and 17 and have a wonderfull time. We have always taken first sitting for meals because the kids can't wait to get out with their friends on the ship. The inside cabins are a little tight with four people but you can make it work. Bags can be stored under the beds and on top of the closet and you'll just need to schedule times to get ready for dinner. My 3 take the hour before dinner to get ready, don't ask me what they do in there for all that time, but it gives me time to have a cocktail before dinner. We have found that the kids will have no problem hooking up with others their age to enjoy the week. It is the best vacation that we take.

Glen
Old February 1st, 2001, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Merry,
You may want to read through the section here on first cruises, some great information that could come in handy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Here is also a members review from our "tweety" here at cruisemates, she had a wonderful time on Enchantment:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_RCI/enchantment6.html>

Donnassei
Old February 1st, 2001, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Hey merry,
Old February 1st, 2001, 10:14 PM
First Mate

Hey merry,
I'd be glad to help w/ some advice on clothing. there will definitely be plenty of kids on the ship this week because it is school vacation. My dad is Glen- who also responded to your post, just in case you were wondering. For clothes, just shorts and tshirts/tank tops for kicking around during the day. at night to dinner i wear a skirt and a nice shirt, or a sun dress. Something you could wear to a nice restaurant. on the formal nights, i always wear my semi-formal and homecoming dresses. Last year, my sister brought her prom dresses, and left her pettycoat at home. At night, after dinner, i usually change to jeans or khakis cuz even though we're in the carribbean, it gets kind of cool at night. I also bring two sweatshirts just in case we have a cold night. ALSO.. SUN SCREEN! i never ever sunburn, but on my first cruise.. i fell asleep in the sun and ended up w/ a red red face.. and it peeled too. see ya soon!-libby
Old February 2nd, 2001, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks, our first thought was for late seating... due to time frames (3 females) plus the fact that I am on VACATION... I don't want to rush for anything. As long as we can still partake in the evening activities, late dinner would work better for us. Not to mention the fact, that althought I love small children, I have no desire to eat in their company (been there done that). Sounds like all of you cruisers enjoy your holidays, hope we will be member of the converted when we return!

Merry