Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anyone try the Dolphin Encounter Nassau?

We are going on the Enchantment 02/18 and want to know if the Dolphin excursion is worth the price. My teenage daughter has always wanted to swim with the Dolphins, but reading the brochure it doesn't sound like you actually get to interact with them much. To me it sounds more like a learning experience (we can do that at Marineland). How long do you really spend with the animals themselves?

Thanks

Merry
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Shari

Default Re: Anyone try the Dolphin Encounter Nassau?

Merry

We tried to get this one when we were on Explorer but it was already sold out. If you decide you do sign up as soon as you get on the ship.

Shari
Old February 12th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Hyway

There is a difference between the dolphin encounter (shown in the brochure) and the dolphin swim. I haven't done either, but my neice did the swim and I have heard from others as well. The dolphin encounter you stand on a platform in thigh to waist deep water and the dolphins swim up to you and you can touch them. The dolphin swim, you get into the water and swim with them. They push you around by your feet and do other entertaining things. I think you are in the water with maybe 3 other people and it lasts about a half hour. My niece told me I was brain damaged if I didn't do the dolphin swim lol.

You can read all about the whole thing on the "Dolphin Encounters at Blue Lagoon Island, Salt Cay - Nassau, Bahamas" website here http://www.dolphinswims.com/ . You can also book a dolphin swim directly from this site to be sure of a space. Hope this helps.

Hyway
Old February 12th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Merry,
Here is a link to the location to find out about the Dolphin swim in Nassau, yes its expensive, but I hear it is worth the money.

<http://www.bahamasnet.com/dolphinencounters/index.html>

You can pre-book this yourself if you want to do it, good luck.

Donnassei
Old February 13th, 2001, 05:01 AM
mbaker

My husband and I did the Dolphin encounter in Nassau this fall. It was one of the best experiences of our lives, beside our wedding.

Yes, there's encounter and swim. Encounter runs about 3 hours, including travel time from the ship and costs about 100 bucks each, and you spend about 45 minutes with the Dolphin (our instructor was really cool, he let our group stay longer than others around us).You go by boat to to Blue Lagoon, Flipper's Island, get in waist deep water on a platform and play with the mamals under the supervision of a trainer. There's about 15-20 people in your group, but only half are the water at one time. The trainer introduces you to the star of the show, ours was Stormy, a young male and might I add very inquistive. We got in the water with him (you kneel on the platform and he swims up to you), and you get to feed him, pet him, rub his tummy, dance with him, he performs tricks, hugs you, kisses you etc... HOWEVER, you never swim with the him in Encounter, that's in Dolphin Swim (it costs more, takes longer and I'm not a very good swimmer). The crew of Blue Lagoon also takes your picture with Stormy kissing you, might I say, this is one of the best photos of my husband and I, it came out wonderful. Plus, the crew video tapes your day, we the tourists, also bought this. Not to mention the really nice gift shop, yea, had to get some Dolphin jewelry.

Cute story...
When you get to encounter, you put your stuff in a locker, don't bring a regular camera, it will get wet and so will you, the Dolphins splash alot. Wear your bathing suit

My husband put our locker key in his swim trunks. Luckily it has a floation device on it... so if it falls in the water, it floats to the top. Well... his floated out of his pocket during our encounter with Stormy. Stormy picked it up and started playing with it. The the trainer took it away from him and flung it out into the middle of the lagoon, to my shock!!! Stormy swam out, picked it up, and brought it right back to me, but wouldn't hand it over until I kissed him (told you he was a boy). The crew captured this whole event on video, that's another reason why we bought it.
Old February 13th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mbaker,
I just loved reading about your fun with the dolphins, I think I really want to do the swim now, thanks.

Donnassei