Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Enchantment Review

Just returned from our first cruise on the Magnificent Enchantment of the Seas (won't be our last). We took our two daughters aged 20 and 17 and I think they are still suffering cruise withdrawal. I thought I would mention a few things about this ship since all the focus seems to be on the newer Voyageur, Explorer and the new Radiance.

Embarkation

Worst part of the whole experience. When the cab dropped us off at the pier and we saw the ship for the first time, we were in awe. We couldn't wait to board the ship and get more! That wouldn't happen for at least 2 1/2 hours of shuffling from room to room, row to row and finally we were on! This is definitely an area that needs to be worked on.

Ship

Once aboard, all our expectations were exceeded! The Centrum area of the Ship is magnificent, all glitzy and glass and so, so classy! The Enchantment truly lives up to her name with respect to appearance and design. We found our way around easily as everything kind of happens near the middle of the ship and you can use the stairs or glass elevators as preferred. Our favourite activity was to sit in the Centrum area before dinner and watch all the diners getting pictures taken. Everything from tuxes, diamonds, sequins to sports jackets and sun dresses. Quite a combination of style.

Food

Being our first cruise, we were pleasantly surprised! A lot to choose from and as much or little as you wanted. Menu consisted of appetizers, fresh breads, soups, salads (great caesar), pastas, main entree, delicious desserts. Entrees include Prime Rib, Lobster Tails (as many as you want), Filet, Fish. All were cooked to our liking (I am a medium rare girl and hard to please) all was perfect! We only had breakfast in the Windjammer lounge, all buffer with a omelete bar. Pretty much the same every day, but it took us until Wednesday, to realize the Omelete bar was there, it included toast, bagels, english muffins. Didn't eat lunch too often, had some pizza, burgers and fries (the best) in the Solarium to tide us over before late dinner.

Seatings

We had late seating which was perfect for us otherwise with 3 women and one man in a cabin we would never have made it. The only draw back was that service was a little slower as there were no time frames to meet. As a result, we had to rush through dessert to make it to the show a couple of times. I think this had something to do with our table being the furthest from the kitchen and kind of situated under the stairs. Although we had late seating, three days the late show was moved to 7pm which kind of defeated the purpose to our request. But sometimes we were glad, it kind of made us move a little faster and left the evening to be enjoyed.

Service

No complaints in this department. Our cabin stewardess was marvelous, she brought my husband a cooler for his beer without even asking and kept it filled with ice every day. The challenge was keeping it filled with beer!!!!!!! Our waiter, assistant waiter and Head waiter were very involved, attentive and fun. We enjoyed every minute of our dining experience and our room was kept immaculate (when she could get in before 2pm ...... teenagers sleeping)

Entertainment

The Entertainment was good. The comic Ed Racine was fabulous, don't miss him. Also, the newlywed game was loads of fun. The Singer in the Centrum is great, kind of blues, jazz, my husband commented on her voice and said she probably could sing the Girl from Ipanema and next thing we knew... she was!! The Viking Crown lounge played good dancing music, at least for us, but was not very well attended. I think all the families had to cut the evening short to stay with their kids. We often felt out of place with the young ones, but then what did we care!

Itineraries

The stops were ok, not sure I would go back to any except for Nassau. Too many cruise ships, too many people (8 ships in St Maarten at the same time). It was too much for me. I am not a shopper especially in crowds. I just want to see the beauty of the islands and relax!!! Don't go to Magen's Bay, it is recommended by all and is a Tourist Trap. If you consider lying on a beach like sardines in a can a fufilling experience then go for it, I can do that at home. Some folks said there are other more remote locations to visit on St Thomas without the crowds, check it out. Also, Nassau, don't take the water taxi to Paradise Island take a cab. The taxi is cheaper, but only runs every half hour and they mean it, if you get there and the boat is filled you are out of luck. Also, when they drop you on Paradise Island you still have a 15 minute walk to the beach, a cab will take you there for a little more. The girls went on the Dolphin Encounter and loved it, they haven't stopped talking about that first Dolphin kiss, well worth the price.

Disembarkation

Went well, all colour coded so everything moved smoothly. Only wrinkle was the fact that us Canadian Aliens had to again clear Customs on Board along with the rest of the Process. Make sure if you have to do this, have breakfast first and show up at the last minute, the Customs folks are never on time.

Summary

Marvelous, wonderful, fabulous, the best, we are already looking at returning and wondering what took us so long to join the Club!

Happy Sailing

Don't hestitate to ask any questions, I don't want to stop talking about it.

Merry
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Enchantment Review

Merry,

Thanks so much for your review of the Enchantment. My husband, two teenage daughters (15 and 17), and I are going on our first cruise on 4/1 and it happens to be the Enchantment. I'm taking lots of good notes from reviews such as yours. The girls are very much looking forward to the cruise and although they get along very well, I hope there are other teens on board. They will enjoy meeting new people too. Did you get the dolphin excursion on board or did you pre-purchase while still on land? How much was the dolphin encounter? We also plan on doing the snorkeling at Trunk Bay (on St. John's). I hear that is well worth it too. We have early seating and I hope that works out. We are not big drinkers but would probably like to keep some water and beer on ice. Does RCCL let you bring beer and bottled water on board? Is there a lot of things for the girls to spend money on while cruising? I'm not sure how much to anticipate for spending money. So glad you shared your Enchantment experience. We are getting very excited about our cruise. We are almost afraid to get hooked on cruising...it seems to be addicting.
Old March 6th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Merry,
Enjoyred reading through your review of Enchantment, so glad you had a good time. Sounds like your addicted, like the rest of us :-) Have you booked the next one yet??

You may want to check the Cruisemates buddies cruises from time to time, always new ones.

Donnassei
Old March 6th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Ceddie

I am so happy that you had a great cruise Merry the Enchantment is a great ship and one of my favorites.
Laura my advice to you is to get a coke sticker for the kid's it costs I think $20:00 but is worth it, you can buy it at any barand all the kid's have to do is show it and get soda's free for the rest of the trip.
When the steward sees your beer/water he/she should take care of it for you.if you have any more questions there is a chat on here at 09:00 pm est and 07:30 pm pst and there are lot's of people who will be only too happy to help with any questions you may have.
Just click on cruise chat and log in

Have a great cruise

Old March 6th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Passenger

thanks for the review...just did the Enchantment on 2/4/01 and experience was just as wonderful as yours.
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Laura,

I am so excited for all of you, trust me you will love it! We purchased the tickets for the Dolphin Encounter on board for 85 US pp, do it the first day, it sold out!! The swim with the Dolphins is 145 pp, same place only difference was they swam in a pool with them. The Girls said there was not that much difference. Recommend taking along a cheapie underwater camera, as things get pretty wet! You can take beer on board, just put it in a carry on no one checks, our cabin steward get the ice replenished every day! Water is a great idea because the taps in the room have warm water yuck for brushing teeth or taking pills. Of course they leave a bottle of Evian every day in the room at 2.95 and 1.95 for a can of pop. You can get water in the Windjammer breakfast and lunch, but we purchase some at our first stop.

As far as shopping goes, lots to buy in St Maarten and St Thomas, on board no cash is used just your card. It is quite a surprise at the end of the week, be prepared. You can bargain with folks on the islands. Our youngest got her hair braided, but check around first, the price really varies usually $1-2 per braid including beads. Watch for the ones that use nice wooden beads instead of the cheap plastic ones. The girls all seemed to go for the two piece wrap sarong and midriff top, nice pictures on them. Again check around, can probably get both pieces for under $10. Their favourite shopping was the Straw Market in Nassau, lots of neat stuff hand made and they made some good deals.

Again, Have Fun!
Old March 7th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Donna,

Not yet, but we are looking. Kind of want to try the bigger ships like Explorer or Voyageur, but afraid it won't be the same! I have been reading all the reviews and trying to make a decision. This site is great and very helpful.

P.s.

How do you do those neat attachments on your notes??
Old March 7th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Merry,
Glad you giving some thought to the next cruise. We're going on Explorer in April and can NOT wait, all the reviews of both Voyager and Explorer sound wonderful, just what we need right about now.

Also its nice to hear you find Cruisemates helpful, let us know what ship you do go on next and happy cruising :-)

PS: the instructions for putting .gifs in these boards are on the bottom of the boards, very easy once you get the hang of it. Only hard thing is finding the
image you want to use on the internet somewhere, thats what takes the time.

Donnassei
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your advice Merry and Ceddie. I'm taking good notes. The excitement is building and we can't wait. This message board has been great...I've learned lots! I'll definitely provide input when we get back from our cruise.
Old March 7th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Ceddie

Merry having been on both the enchantment and the Voyager I can tell you that a cruise on the "big" ships will not dissapoint you, It is a different experience from the other ships which I for one really enjoyed. I still like the smaller ships and just got back from the Rhapsody. Next year we are going on the Radiance.
Happy cruising

Ceddie
Old March 9th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife, son, and I are cruising on the Enchantment the week of April 1. Is there anything that I can do to avoid the long lines at embarkation that you experienced? What time did you arrive at the port? What time would you recommend that we arrive? Thanks for your help. No matter what the wait, I am sure that my family and I will have a great week.
Old March 9th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ken,

We arrived the day of departure from the airport around 1:30. At that point, you filled out forms in room one, got a number (which I thought was our own but really belonged to 50 people). When they called the number you all moved to room two, went through the scanners and into the zig, zag ropes of room three to the desks for registration, super charge card pick up and for us (Canadians) to another desk to leave our Identification. It was my understanding from others, if you get there earlier in the morning they will let you board and I could see others already on the ship. I think the backlog starts as the flights start coming in. Good Luck and Enjoy, the rest of the experience is well worth the wait.

MerryKen wrote:
>
> My wife, son, and I are cruising on the Enchantment the week
> of April 1. Is there anything that I can do to avoid the
> long lines at embarkation that you experienced? What time
> did you arrive at the port? What time would you recommend
> that we arrive? Thanks for your help. No matter what the
> wait, I am sure that my family and I will have a great week.
Old March 9th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Passenger

I have about the soda cards/stickers for kids. Does anyone know if they are available for adults. Some of non drinkers like our Cokes alot.
Old March 11th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Passenger

Hello Ken,
We got to the pier at 11am and got on board at 12:05pm. We were the first group that held # 3. Around 12:00 the crowds had double/tripled. If you can get there between 10 - 11am, that would probably be your best bet to avoid the LONG LINES.
Old March 12th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry,

The Pop cards are avail only for kids under 17. Our daughter was 17 and she didn't qualify. My suggestion is to bring some on board or get your drinks in the Windjammer when lunch is on or in the Solarium where the pizza, hot dogs are served. (believe they have some soda's on tap for free during the day). The pop left in the room is 1.95 per can, to us Canucks that is almost $3 (robbery)! At dinner, ask your assistant waiter for a Soda, not the bar server or you will be charged.

MerryPatrick wrote:
>
> I have about the soda cards/stickers for kids. Does anyone
> know if they are available for adults. Some of non drinkers
> like our Cokes alot.
Old March 16th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Were there many younger couples on board? My boyfriend and I are 23 and will be sailing on the Enchantment in June. This will be his first cruise and my first on Royal Caribbean and I'm a little concerned that we'll be out of place.
Old March 16th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kathleen,

There were many young couples aboard in your age group, but not too many singles. The time of year as I mentioned seemed to target the family scene, but in June you should be ok. My daughter 20, just loved it and wants to go back with her significant other! Keep in mind, this is a time to enjoy each others company and if you meet people it is a bonus and I am certain you will. Cruisers seem to be really friendly and very interesting (no matter what the age). I am sure you will truly enjoy your trip and when it comes right down to it, the opportunities are there to have fun and it's all what YOU make it! Try out the Kon Tiki tour in St Thomas and Golden Eagle in St Maarten, usually frequented by people who like to have fun!

Enjoy, wish I was going too, the Enchantment is a beautiful boat, the rest is up to you!

Merry
Old March 23rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for a great review
Going on Enchantment July 15th.....can't wait!!
Old March 26th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will love it!! My brother and his wife also just returned last week and their experience was quite similar. The only negatives were that with late seating they often changed the show time to 7m and the Windjammer food was repetitive. Other than that have a wonderful time.

Merry