CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Carib. Smoking Policy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/228798-royal-carib-smoking-policy.html)

cheric March 12th, 2001 12:23 AM

Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Can anyone tell me if Royal Caribbean ships are non-smoking ships? I heard someewhere that they were and I'd like to confirm this before we make our decisin as to which ship to cruise? Is smoking allowed in the staterooms?

Kuki March 12th, 2001 01:21 AM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
cheric wrote:
>
> Can anyone tell me if Royal Caribbean ships are non-smoking
> ships? I heard someewhere that they were and I'd like to
> confirm this before we make our decisin as to which ship to
> cruise? Is smoking allowed in the staterooms?


Royal Caribbean ships are NOT non smoking ships at this time. In fact, they have no non smoking cabins at all.
They do have designated areas for smoking and non smoking guests. The dining rooms and show rooms are non smoking.

The daily activities papers onboard do describe RCI ships as "Primarily Non Smoking", which I think is a joke. Seems like double speak to me, and I'm a smoker!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor

merry March 12th, 2001 09:21 AM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
As Kuki indicates, RCCL does allow smoking in designated areas. Our family just returned from a week on the Enchantment and the only time you were aware of smoke was in the Casino. We are all non smokers and didn't have a problem at all. If you really want the non smoking, the Carnival Paradis is non smoking and apparently a really nice ship.

Merry

cheric March 12th, 2001 10:06 AM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Thanks for the info. Hubby is a smoker and wasn't willing to try Royal Caribbean if he had to go a week without smoking. Our first cruise was last month on the Millennium. There were designated smoking areas and it wasn't a problem for us ... except for people who sat in the smoking section and then complained about it, but we find that everywhere. When we were in St. Thomas we saw the non-smoking ship with a big cigarette with a red x through it on the back of the ship. heard rumors they found someone smoking and put them off in St. Thomas.

doug March 12th, 2001 11:40 AM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Just put off at St.Thomas for smoking on a non-smoking ship? Shoot!!! Should have made him walk the plank. LOL.

Just want you dedicated smokers to know that if you quit you could afford to go on at least one addtional cruise a year.

The only problem with the non-smoking ship is that it is Carnival -- ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Doug <----ten years smoke free and yes he knows he is being ornery

cheric March 12th, 2001 01:52 PM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Congratulations doug. You are a stronger person that my hubby and I. Someday maybe I can say I'm a quitter too and be ornery just like you! LOL!. We are very considerate smokers and if it is bothering someone we definitely will move to a new location or put it out. there are some out there who are considerate, so everybody quit picking on me okay? I'm a nice person... even if I do have a dirty habit! LOL.

Kuki March 12th, 2001 02:38 PM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
This post reminds me of a story.. a 95 year old man was being interviewed and was asked what the secret to longevity was.
He said.... If u dont drink, and u don't smoke, and u don't womanize, even if u don't live to be 95, it'll feel like it <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor

doug March 12th, 2001 04:10 PM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Actually there is hope. I was the world's happiest 3 pack a day smoker. I had absoloutely no intention of quitting, ever. Nobody believed that I would be able to quit. I then had my retirement physical from the U S Air Force and had a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT). The doctor took a look at the results and told me that if it was this bad at age 40 that he could almost guarantee that if (<---the if being the real scary part) I was around at age 60 I would be carting around a tank of oxygen. I haven't touched one since. Nicorette gum was a big help for me and I used that for the first two months after I quit, it fooled my system into thinking I had smoked. The usage declined until one day I noticed that I didn't use one Nicorette gum either. Then I was truly free.

I am fairly tolerant of smokers but once in a while I have to get crazy on a smoking friend.

Doug

Heather March 16th, 2001 05:00 AM

Re: Royal Carib. Smoking Policy
 
Renaissance Cruise Lines are also smoke-free (for the time being). I think that most of the major cruise lines have done a great job of creating smoke-free and smoking areas.

Although it would not be my first pick, I wouldn't hestiate to book the Paradise if I wanted a smoke free Caribbean cruise. I personally really like Carnival and like the layout of the ship; my only qualm is that the ship does not have any non-suite balcony cabins.

bonkers2376 February 3rd, 2014 11:57 PM

As you all have heard, RCCL has changed their smoking policy to include non smoking on all balcony's effective January 1, 2014. This is by far a very bad move on RC part. They are going to loose a lot of loyal customers. Making a block of balcony rooms for smokers is by far a better idea. I will not be cruising on RC until this policy is looked over again and again. People pay a lot of money to get a balcony room and for those that complain that the smoke is coming into their room? SHUT THE DAMN DOOR YA IDIOTS.

beachbum13 February 4th, 2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkers2376 (Post 1494396)
As you all have heard, RCCL has changed their smoking policy to include non smoking on all balcony's effective January 1, 2014. This is by far a very bad move on RC part. They are going to loose a lot of loyal customers. Making a block of balcony rooms for smokers is by far a better idea. I will not be cruising on RC until this policy is looked over again and again. People pay a lot of money to get a balcony room and for those that complain that the smoke is coming into their room? SHUT THE DAMN DOOR YA IDIOTS.

The last cruise we went on was Oasis and the couple in the room next to us were chain smokers. We could not even sit on our balcony or have our balcony door open. I like to have my door open all the time even at night while we sleep! AC dries me out. That's why we get a balcony ( or one of the reasons)! We do pay a lot of money for our rooms. Why should we be inconvenienced because you "idiots" want to get cancer? No Smoking polices are going to become more and more common place.

seadog2 February 4th, 2014 02:12 PM

On our cruise in December on the Adventure we had an Owners Suite and the previous guests smoked. The very minute we walked into our suite the smell of smoke was overpowering. We notified our suite attendant and he said yes the previous occupants smoked. He informed them that they could smoke on the balcony but close the door. He said they did close the door but smoke entered anyway. In this case closing the door did not help.

storybookcruises.com February 4th, 2014 09:13 PM

I posted this on bonkers' other thread, but thought it deserved to be posted here as well in response to his comments;

The new policy is in line with what the overwhelming majority of passengers are requesting. So they won't be loosing alot of passengers, as you stated. They may lose a few, but they will also sell more balcony cabins to those who don't smoke and in the end will gain more passengers than they lose based on the facts of the matter and past experience of other cruise lines who have made the same policies. They are simply listening to what their passengers want while taking into account other factors like safety, health, and cleaning.

Fires on ships have been directly related to smoking. This not only costs huge amount of dollars in restoration, but also for insurance. These costs are passed along in the form of higher cruising costs to all passengers.

While no one should ever tell someone they can't smoke, they do have the right to tell them where they can smoke so as not to affect others. Look at what was done about smoking on airplanes many years ago. Cruising attracts all types of people including very young children or someone who has to use oxygen all the time because of physical problems. They should not have to be subjected to unwanted smoke. It's the same reason why we have most laws.

And as we all know, smoke stinks. It gets on the walls and into the fabric, mattresses, and carpet. It takes alot of extra cleaning to get out the residue and smell, adding extra costs, which is, again, passed along in the form of higher cruise costs. This is why all cruise lines no longer allow smoking in the cabins.

And as for closing the doors, people want to sit out on their balcony and enjoy the fresh sea air. They can't do this with a chain smoker next door who's not allowing them this simple pleasure.

I smoked for 16 years - half of my life! I was up to 2 packs a day and developing a smoker's cough at age 32. One day I was lighting up and my 4 year old son, who had probably seen something on TV, looked up at me and asked, "Hey, dad. When are you going to die from smoking?"

Talk about a cold slap in the face!

Just so happen the very next day the government agency I was working for announced a free stop smoking class. I immediately signed up and two weeks later I quit. Toughest thing I've ever had to do in my life! But I stuck with it and haven't had a cigarette in 32 years! No doubt in my mind, I would have been dead or close to it by now had I not quit and I would not be bouncing my two grandkids on my knee!

Not trying to scare anyone or convince anyone to quit. Just proving a point that I speak from first-had experience.

But now, like many smokers who have quit, I find myself very susceptible to smoke. I don't like being around it, don't like the smell, and don't like the after-affects when I have been around it.

If someone wants to smoke - that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. But I, like the majority of people, do have a problem with subjecting people to something they don't want, especially something that is very physically harming to them.

I can appreciate that smokers would love to sit on their balcony and puff away. But at the same time, why should the person next door, who paid the same amount of money, not be able to enjoy their balcony? Do you think the smoker would like it if someone next door cranked up their stereo on their balcony with music the smoker absolutely hated? Or how would they like it if a nudist you really didn't want to see was constantly 'obstructing' part of your view while 'hanging out' on their balcony?

It's all about common courtesy and tolerance. We can't all get everything we want, so we have to be considerate of others and make certain allowances.

There are places on a ship set aside for smokers, so accommodations have been made for those wanting to smoke. Non-smokers don't go there by choice. Both sides have been considered in these policies. But when smoking is allowed on balconies, non-smokers have no choice and are not being considered.

Currently of the major mass-market cruise lines, there are only three that allow smoking on balconies (Carnival, Holland America, & NCL). But I think all cruise lines will forbid it within the next couple of years because of the huge demand.

As for having an all non-smoking ship, Carnival tried this many years ago and it proved it was non financially feasible. So I don't think anyone is willing to try this experiment again.

As for having a 'block' of balcony cabins where smoking is allowed, what happens if they need more than have been blocked? Or what if they don't sell enough of them and have cabins left over? Again, not as simple as it may sound.

Let's fact it, the smoking versus non-smoking problems can be debated forever and there are no easy solutions that would satisfy everyone all the time. Having been a smoker, I know what it's like to have a craving and not be able to smoke when and where I want. But I was always tolerant and never let my smoke or blew my smoke into a non-smoker's space as I did not want to infringe upon their right to breath fresh air or cause them discomfort in any way. (And by the way, unlike alot of smokers, I never threw my cigarette buts out the car window!)

Pete

Manuel February 4th, 2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkers2376 (Post 1494396)


. People pay a lot of money to get a balcony room and for those that complain that the smoke is coming into their room? SHUT THE DAMN DOOR YA IDIOTS.


Calling people idiots is a pretty strong statement.

Personally I don't believe that non-smokers are idiots.

TM

ship2shore February 5th, 2014 07:33 AM

Inhaling carcinogenic vapors directly into the lungs and holding them there sounds pretty idiotic to me, but that's just me.

CRUISEFAN0001 February 5th, 2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1494447)
I posted this on bonkers' other thread, but thought it deserved to be posted here as well in response to his comments;

The new policy is in line with what the overwhelming majority of passengers are requesting. So they won't be loosing alot of passengers, as you stated. They may lose a few, but they will also sell more balcony cabins to those who don't smoke and in the end will gain more passengers than they lose based on the facts of the matter and past experience of other cruise lines who have made the same policies. They are simply listening to what their passengers want while taking into account other factors like safety, health, and cleaning.

Fires on ships have been directly related to smoking. This not only costs huge amount of dollars in restoration, but also for insurance. These costs are passed along in the form of higher cruising costs to all passengers.

While no one should ever tell someone they can't smoke, they do have the right to tell them where they can smoke so as not to affect others. Look at what was done about smoking on airplanes many years ago. Cruising attracts all types of people including very young children or someone who has to use oxygen all the time because of physical problems. They should not have to be subjected to unwanted smoke. It's the same reason why we have most laws.

And as we all know, smoke stinks. It gets on the walls and into the fabric, mattresses, and carpet. It takes alot of extra cleaning to get out the residue and smell, adding extra costs, which is, again, passed along in the form of higher cruise costs. This is why all cruise lines no longer allow smoking in the cabins.

And as for closing the doors, people want to sit out on their balcony and enjoy the fresh sea air. They can't do this with a chain smoker next door who's not allowing them this simple pleasure.

I smoked for 16 years - half of my life! I was up to 2 packs a day and developing a smoker's cough at age 32. One day I was lighting up and my 4 year old son, who had probably seen something on TV, looked up at me and asked, "Hey, dad. When are you going to die from smoking?"

Talk about a cold slap in the face!

Just so happen the very next day the government agency I was working for announced a free stop smoking class. I immediately signed up and two weeks later I quit. Toughest thing I've ever had to do in my life! But I stuck with it and haven't had a cigarette in 32 years! No doubt in my mind, I would have been dead or close to it by now had I not quit and I would not be bouncing my two grandkids on my knee!

Not trying to scare anyone or convince anyone to quit. Just proving a point that I speak from first-had experience.

But now, like many smokers who have quit, I find myself very susceptible to smoke. I don't like being around it, don't like the smell, and don't like the after-affects when I have been around it.

If someone wants to smoke - that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. But I, like the majority of people, do have a problem with subjecting people to something they don't want, especially something that is very physically harming to them.

I can appreciate that smokers would love to sit on their balcony and puff away. But at the same time, why should the person next door, who paid the same amount of money, not be able to enjoy their balcony? Do you think the smoker would like it if someone next door cranked up their stereo on their balcony with music the smoker absolutely hated? Or how would they like it if a nudist you really didn't want to see was constantly 'obstructing' part of your view while 'hanging out' on their balcony?

It's all about common courtesy and tolerance. We can't all get everything we want, so we have to be considerate of others and make certain allowances.

There are places on a ship set aside for smokers, so accommodations have been made for those wanting to smoke. Non-smokers don't go there by choice. Both sides have been considered in these policies. But when smoking is allowed on balconies, non-smokers have no choice and are not being considered.

Currently of the major mass-market cruise lines, there are only three that allow smoking on balconies (Carnival, Holland America, & NCL). But I think all cruise lines will forbid it within the next couple of years because of the huge demand.

As for having an all non-smoking ship, Carnival tried this many years ago and it proved it was non financially feasible. So I don't think anyone is willing to try this experiment again.

As for having a 'block' of balcony cabins where smoking is allowed, what happens if they need more than have been blocked? Or what if they don't sell enough of them and have cabins left over? Again, not as simple as it may sound.

Let's fact it, the smoking versus non-smoking problems can be debated forever and there are no easy solutions that would satisfy everyone all the time. Having been a smoker, I know what it's like to have a craving and not be able to smoke when and where I want. But I was always tolerant and never let my smoke or blew my smoke into a non-smoker's space as I did not want to infringe upon their right to breath fresh air or cause them discomfort in any way. (And by the way, unlike alot of smokers, I never threw my cigarette buts out the car window!)

Pete

That has to be one of the best posts on this topic that I've ever read.

What a great reality check post. Kudos!

thecruisequeen February 5th, 2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkers2376 (Post 1494396)
SHUT THE DAMN DOOR YA IDIOTS.

It's a two way street. As I understand A smoker wanting to sit on the balcony and light up however as a non smoker the last thing in the world I would want to sit on my balcony only to inhale other cruisers smoke from the adjacent balconies.

So you would prefer that a non smoking cruiser that has paid for a balcony stay in their cabin with door shut so you can enjoy your balcony and smoke??

Your comment that I quoted above goes both ways....a non smoker can say...STOP SMOKING YA DAMN IDIOTS.

Smoking and 2nd hand smoke is an invitation for Lung Cancer and other cancers and diseases and also ages you at a faster rate. There is not one positive thing about smoking.

The best thing a smoker can do for their health is to quit smoking.

Atccruiser February 5th, 2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkers2376 (Post 1494396)
As you all have heard, RCCL has changed their smoking policy to include non smoking on all balcony's effective January 1, 2014. This is by far a very bad move on RC part. They are going to loose a lot of loyal customers. Making a block of balcony rooms for smokers is by far a better idea. I will not be cruising on RC until this policy is looked over again and again. People pay a lot of money to get a balcony room and for those that complain that the smoke is coming into their room? SHUT THE DAMN DOOR YA IDIOTS.

Oh blow it out your a$$ Howard

Manuel February 5th, 2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen (Post 1494475)
.


The best thing a smoker can do for their health is to quit smoking.


I agree!


I stopped smoking on June 3rd. 1983 .... :)

TM

beachbum13 February 5th, 2014 10:27 PM

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...38158652_n.png

The tide is turning...

Cigarette smoking is the number one cause of preventable disease and death worldwide. Smoking-related diseases claim over 393,000 American lives each year. Smoking cost the United States over $193 billion in 2004, including $97 billion in lost productivity and $96 billion in direct health care expenditures, or an average of $4,260 per adult smoker. :cry:

Enough said....

thecruisequeen February 5th, 2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1494512)
I agree!


I stopped smoking on June 3rd. 1983 .... :)

TM

That is awesome TM!! Good for you!!

thecruisequeen February 5th, 2014 11:40 PM

Kudos to CVS!! I already use CVS to fill prescriptions however will be shopping there more often now over Rite aid or Walgreens.
CVS did the right thing...

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...22654501_n.jpg

Aerogirl February 6th, 2014 12:45 PM

There's always going to be people who don't follow the rules and they will be sneaking and smoking on their balcony. The problem is now their going to flick their cigarettes butts overboard to hide the evidence and run the risk of landing on others balconies becoming a fire hazard.

I'm a non-smoker and cruise with a smoker and the smoke doesn't seem to linger it just blows away.
If someone is smoking like a chimney and you in port I guess it can be bothersome . We always have a balcony and spend too much time on it and I have never been to the point where I can't sit out because of someone's smoke....call it lucky that our neighbors haven't been heavy smokers or my story might be different. By the way I am super sensitive to the smoke.

This is just my opinion.

felix_the_cat February 6th, 2014 02:15 PM

Let me add a real downer here. On January 23, 2014 my best friend/husband/life partner died of cancer. He did not smoke, nor had he ever smoked, but he inhaled a lot of second hand smoke over his life time. He was young - he had turned 65 on January 16, 2014.


I am a former smoker and here I am. I am now going to be a rabid anti-smoking fan and I will report each and every person I see trying to sneak a smoke or an e-cig whenever I see them.

CRUISEFAN0001 February 6th, 2014 02:23 PM

Here's perhaps another perspective on this often-discussed topic....

Banning smoking on cruise ships harms no one, but inconveniences some passengers.

Allowing smoking on cruise ships can potentially harm many passengers in some form, and creates inconveniences for some passengers.

It would seem the first scenario is the lesser of two evils.

Aerogirl February 6th, 2014 02:49 PM

Until its becomes illegal to smoke then all ships should provide smokers a place to smoke . I don't care if it up on the sun deck on the aft where it can blow away but there should be some place for them to go. People need to stop treating smokers like criminals ....trust me they know the dangers of smoking.

Felix....I'm sorry to hear about you husband , my heart goes out to you and our family.

rollerdonna February 6th, 2014 04:17 PM

Obviously a passionate subject... I was not aware that Carnival Paradise was again a non smoking ship. We sailed on her probably 10 years ago when she was, but then they took away her non smoking status, citing not enough money made in the bars and casinos. If it's true that she is once again a non smoking ship, I would not hesitate to book her again, as one of my pet peeves about cruising is dealing with other people's' smoke.

donna.

Surfguyxxx1 February 6th, 2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1494599)
Obviously a passionate subject... I was not aware that Carnival Paradise was again a non smoking ship. We sailed on her probably 10 years ago when she was, but then they took away her non smoking status, citing not enough money made in the bars and casinos. If it's true that she is once again a non smoking ship, I would not hesitate to book her again, as one of my pet peeves about cruising is dealing with other people's' smoke.

donna.


I totally agree. I can't go into the casino's because of the smoke. It just burns my eyes and then they start to get reddened and tear up. No thanks; I'll just stay out.

thecruisequeen February 6th, 2014 05:10 PM

Glad I'm not a casino lover I can't take the smoke. However if it was smoke free I would spend time in there gambling. I only use the casino to get from Bolero's to the Nightclub. And I walk super fast. LOL
Smoking should be banned in the casino too. Maybe the Cruiselines would get more gamblers in the casino if it was smoke free. :p:-P:rolleyes:
The only place smoking should be allowed is the outdoor deck in the smoking area only. IMO

However as long as smoking is allowed in the casino it saves me money from my wallet. :p;):-P8-)

thecruisequeen February 6th, 2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1494584)
Let me add a real downer here. On January 23, 2014 my best friend/husband/life partner died of cancer. He did not smoke, nor had he ever smoked, but he inhaled a lot of second hand smoke over his life time. He was young - he had turned 65 on January 16, 2014.


I am a former smoker and here I am. I am now going to be a rabid anti-smoking fan and I will report each and every person I see trying to sneak a smoke or an e-cig whenever I see them.

I'm so sorry for your loss Felix. That is terrible and at a young age. Second hand smoke is just as bad as being a smoker. :-( My thoughts and prayers are with you


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1