Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2001, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Default Holiday Inn South Beach

To anyone who was considering a pre or post cruise package to the holiday inn south beach.......my recomendation would be not to. I stayed their for two days prior to my trip on Voyager and was not impressed. We paid 250 a night and it was less than a 3 star hotel in my opinion. I'm 22 and would not consider my standards to be very high, but when I"m paying that much a night I would expect a nicer hotel. In general, the whole its "on the beach" is not true. Its behind the "public beach" which you walk out onto once you get out of the the gated area. The public beach was gross, tough sand and lots of garbage. We found a rave on the beach at 4AM the night we landed, probably the most distrubing site I've ever seen. Their are a lot of cops at south beach, so I would say its pretty safe to walk around. Ocean drive, which is were all the big night clubs are, was really cool. Lots of spanish speaking going on and very expensive. (You thought the cruise drinks were a bit steep, well then its nothing compared to South Beach). We were getting charged up to 9 bucks for a regular drink that was around 5 on the ship. All in all, South Beach was cool but I would have perferred staying at the Hait or Marriot and taking a cab over. Oh, the Holiday Inn was NO were near the action of south beach, it was kind of in the middle of no where, you need to take a cab wherever you had to go. Wouldn't recommend it for families, lots of crazy stuff going on that I wouldn't want my kids to see (all walks of life hooking up on the street...etc) If you have any further questions let me know.

Steve...
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2001, 09:53 PM
seatraveler

Default Re: Holiday Inn South Beach

We really enjoy South Beach, but have stayed at the new Marriott South Beach - a first rate hotel and on the beach, 2 blocks from Joe's Stone Crab, and minutes away from the South Beach action - a great way to unwind after a cruise or to set the mood before.
Happy Cruising,
Seatravelers
Old March 22nd, 2001, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Thanks Steve for reporting back about the Holiday Inn South Beach. I had made reservations to stay there in July, but after reading your message called and cancelled. I'm now thinking of staying at the Wyndham on South Beach.Supposedly, the Wyndham is a clean, nicely furnished hotel. I don't want to start my cruise vacation by staying in a nasty, expensive hotel!
Debbie
Old March 26th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Live Wire

I booked the Holiday Inn in Rome for a pre-cruise stay just on the strength that it is considered a good hotle chain just by reputation. After reading your South Beach story, I'm second guessing the whole Holiday Inn selection we've made. It's a shame how one bad apple might spoil the whole bunch. Just a little concerned, especially being over seas.
Old March 27th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I agree with you Steve- we stayed in South Beach last year before a cruise and found it LOUD all night long, crowded and over priced. NOT for families at all.