Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Texas

Default Voyager vs. Rhapsody

OK you seasoned RCI cruisers, I need your advice. I just returned from my first cruise on the Voyager and now I'm head over hills in love w/ cruising. I've talked my family into cruising so we want to set something up for June 2002. I'm pricing and looking at all my options, even other cruiselines but I'm afraid no other ship will compare to the Voyager. I noticed that RCI's Rhapsody will leave out of Galveston, TX starting in the fall. This is great because we're in Texas and a drive to Galveston is much cheaper than a flight to Florida. Has anyone out there been on both the Voyager and Rhapsody? Who can tell me if the Rhapsody will be a nice cruise for a family, age range 58 thru 3 yrs old, about 50 people. I know Voyager is in a class of its own but will the Rhapsody be OK for my family cruise or should I stick w/ the Voyager/Explorer style ships? It will be my 2nd cruise and everyone else's first cruise but I want them to have an awesome experience like I had on the Voyager. And if anyone else knows of any other cruise ship that will meet my family needs let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2001, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Voyager vs. Rhapsody

I've sailed on both, you'll be constantly comparing if you've already experienced Voyager, no ship will ever compare. Rhapsody is a beautiful ship though, if your family has never experienced a cruise before they will love her, but I don't know how one can go back to a smaller ship after already experiencing Voyager. My recommendation would be to spring for the air if you can and take out Explorer or Adventure.

Steve
Old March 27th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Texas

Thanks, Steve. I was afraid that would be the answer. I'm thinking about chartering a bus to Miami. Most of my siblings have 2 - 4 kids so we're talking over $1000 just to fly into Florida. I know my family will enjoy the Voyager, especially after all my talk. Everyone on the cruise told me it would be hard for me to go to a smaller ship since I started w/ the Voyager. I might do a short 4 nighter out of Galveston just to see if my family would enjoy it. Now, to explain to my husband that we need to go on another cruise before the family cruise. I guess I could chalk it up to RESEARCH!?!!?
Old March 27th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Frank

Personally I love the Rhapsody of the Seas. The ship is beautiful. In fact, I am taking a cruise on it a second time in April. Forget the bus. Just take the Rhapsody out of Texas.
Old March 27th, 2001, 07:18 PM
First Mate

Texas,

Where you on the Voyager sailing of March 11th? My wife and I were on, we won the newly wed game.

Steve..
Old March 27th, 2001, 11:30 PM
First Mate

I have not sailed on the Voyager so this may be a little one sided but..

I say go for the Rhapsody! I have sailed on her she is a great ship.

Some things you might consider. How many of the things that are unique to the Voyager (ie rock climbing wall, skating ring) would you group participate in?
are those items real important? Athough now a big the Rhapsody is a large ship with plenty of space and very well designed. It you are going to limit your cruising to just Voyager Class ships you will miss a lot of great cruising
Old March 28th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Texas

Steve, we left March 3.

John, we have a lot of children in the group and I know they would enjoy the Voyager style ship. Money wise, we might end up on the Rhapsody. I'm open to whatever. I just want another cruise.
Old March 28th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Rhapsody this past summer - ages 14-78. It is a beautiful ship. There was always plenty to do and we never saw the kids except to eat and sleep. They had wonderful programs for the children and they were well taken care of. The youngest we have taken a child on a cruise was 7 on RCCL on a ship about 10 years ago and we never saw them then either. Even on shore they had activites for the children. Kids have their own menu at dinner. There is a special game room for children of all ages. There is miniature golf, shuffleboard, ping pong and fuzball. they have their own swimming pool and night time entertainment. The teenagers loved their own karoke in one of the lounges and believe it or not they hung out with the other teenagers in the card room playing card and board games. They find their own friends for the week and it is great. And don't forget the fun things you can do as a family ashore. The shore excursions are great. I say go for the Rhapsody and relax! You can't go wrong on RCCL.

Pam
Old March 28th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Texas,
By chance have you been reading the posts about Radiance? Now, that ship sounds so neat, can't wait to try that one. Glad you enjoyed Voyager and that you are now addicted, like the rest of us. We're going on Explorer in a few weeks, can't get here soon enough for me :-)

Donnassei
Old March 28th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Again Texas,
I haven't yet been on Voyager/Explorer, but cruised on Rhapsody through the southern caribbean and I absolutely loved that ship. For the folks you are cruising and its their first cruise, they will love it. Have fun deciding, its almost half the fun :-)

Donnassei
Old March 28th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Ceddie

Hi Texas having been on both the Rhapsody and Voyager there is a tremendous difference between the 2 but having said that we had a great time on the rhapsody. Whichever one you choose I know you're party will love it and if you chose the rhapsody first the rest of your group will have something to look forward to I am going on the Radiance in March next year.
Whichever one you chose have a great time

Ceddie
Old March 31st, 2001, 05:16 AM
Linda Marie

The Rhapsody is a wonderful ship for 1st-timers! The Voyager might be too overwhelming for your family,just now.