Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lindsay
Default Higher deck vs lower (seasickness)

I'm booked on the Radiance of the Seas for Aug, 10, 2002. Since our budget won't allow for an oceanview or balcony cabin, we booked a Cat. M midship interior cabin on Deck 8. I felt that was a good compromise---at least we're up higher next to most of the "action". Someone posted to another fourm and advised me to change our cabin to a lower deck---still interior and midship. For some reason, it just seems like we're up "where it's happening" if we're up on a somewhat higher deck. And, since we won't have a window, it'll feel less "dungeon-like". I realize that when you're in your cabin you really can't tell WHERE you are. Has anyone felt a LOT more motion on the 8th deck or one close by on other ships? Looking at the deck plan, we're almost in the middle of the ship (deck-wise) and mid-ship (cabin-wise). Seems ideal to me! Thanks!

Lindsay
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Linda Marie

Default Re: Higher deck vs lower (seasickness)

Inside cabins are "dungeons" no matter where they are! Don't skimp Lindsay,get at least an outside cabin. What's the point of cruising if you can't see the ocean?
Old April 24th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Lindsay,

I've had cabins all over the ship.. high, low, near the stern, near the bow and the only time I ever really felt much excess motion was when we located close to the bow.
Your location sounds just fine!
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
<<Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old April 24th, 2001, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Lindsey,

I been on Legend and Vision of the Sea, on the 7th deck and on the 9th deck of Infinity - all outside cabins. Have also been on the lowest deck possible on a ship I don't care to remember. As far as I'm concerned the higher decks are better. We have not experienced any seasickness, but then we had calm seas on each cruise. We did experience a swaying motion which was quite restful. If your concerned about seasickness, pick up the patch or the over the counter pills, try not to think about the negatives and enjoy your cruise.
Old April 24th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Ted

Lindsay, I disagree completely with Linda Marie's assessment of inside cabins. We switched about 18 months ago from either a balcony cabin or a regular outside cabin to an inside cabin & have found them to be just fine. Of course they are dark & like a dungeon when the lights are out! There are no windows!! You have to keep a light on in the bathroom, or, as we do, bring a small nightlight with you. We have found it works perfectly. We have been on more than a dozen cruises over the past 5 years. We love it!! As far as location, the most ideal spot on any ship, no matter the size, is just a bit forward of center horizontally & around center vertically. We have had 2 or 3 cabins more toward the bow & have not really had any problems with motion. Go & enjoy & don't fret over it!
Old April 24th, 2001, 07:41 PM
First Mate

HI,

LISTEN TO LINDA MARIE INSIDE CABINS ARE DONGEONS THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR FIRST CRUISE AND YOU MAY NOT BE FULLY AWAR HOW SMALL ALL OF THE CABINS ARE ON THE SHIP (UNLESS YOU GET A SUITE). AS FOR TRYING TO GET ON A DECK WITH A LOT OF ACTIVITY TO GET OVER THE DUNGEON FEELING FORGET IT ALL CABINS ARE LOCATED AWAY FROM ALL OF THE ACTIVITY ANYWAY. MY SUGGESTION IS GO TO A LOWER DECK WITH AN OUTSIDE CABIN. I HAVE BEEN ON 8 RCCL CRUISES AND I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. AS FOR SEASICKNESS DONT WORRY ABOUT IT NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE ON THE SHIP MOVEMENT THAT WILL MAKE YOU SICK IS FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. THIS IS THE VACATION OF A LIFETIME!!!! ENJOY. IF YOU WANT ANY MORE ADVICE E-MAIL ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO RESPOND TO YOU DIRECTLY.

JIM.
Old April 24th, 2001, 10:38 PM
dsawyer

Lindsay, I am one who is quite sensitive to motion and especially that of a ship. However, I just took a "cruise to nowhere" on The Radiance of the Seas and I can positively say that out of my 10 cruises, she is the smoothest sailing ship I have ever been on. It didn't even seen as if we were on the water. It was amazing. So whatever location you decide on, I don't think you will be bothered with problems related to motion. Also, besides The Radiance being the smoothest ship I have ever been on it was also the most beautiful! Have a wonderful cruise..
Old April 28th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

JIM wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> INSIDE CABINS ARE DUNGEONS THIS SOUNDS
> LIKE YOUR FIRST CRUISE AND YOU MAY NOT BE FULLY AWAR HOW
> SMALL ALL OF THE CABINS ARE ON THE SHIP (UNLESS YOU GET A
> SUITE). AS FOR TRYING TO GET ON A DECK WITH A LOT OF ACTIVITY
> TO GET OVER THE DUNGEON FEELING FORGET IT ALL CABINS ARE
> LOCATED AWAY FROM ALL OF THE ACTIVITY ANYWAY. MY SUGGESTION
> IS GO TO A LOWER DECK WITH AN OUTSIDE CABIN. I HAVE BEEN ON
> 8 RCCL CRUISES AND I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. AS FOR
> SEASICKNESS DONT WORRY ABOUT IT NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE ON
> THE SHIP MOVEMENT THAT WILL MAKE YOU SICK IS FAR AND FEW
> BETWEEN. THIS IS THE VACATION OF A LIFETIME!!!! >>

This will be my 5th cruise and out of 3 I've stayed in 2 inside cabins. Sure, it takes some getting used to (the dark, etc.) but nothing that kept me from not enjoying the cruise, overall. I'm taking a 4th cruise in December and it will be outside. (less expensive than Alaska.) I found a new bargain from RCI for Alaska that, IF you pay the whole cruise fare up front, you automatically are upgraded to an outside from an inside and from an outside to a balcony. So, I may stay on Deck 4 (outside) and pay inside prices. As far as getting seasick, we ran into rough seas on my first two cruises to the Mexican Riviera and let me tell you, it was not pretty! Since we're again sailing down to Mexico in Dec. I'm coming prepared with meclizine (Bonine.) But, I always have that "inner ear dizziness" going on. I just get used to it.
Old April 29th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Larry Wagner

I have also had Inside and outside Cabins and I have been on 6 Cruises. I always pay for an inside cabin Garrentee and if I get moved to an outside cabin then so be it and if not then that is fine to. My wife and I spend very little time in the Cabin and cant see paying extra for an outside or a balcony. However that is our preferance and an inside cabin does not bother us. You can always look at the Ocean from any place on the ship when you go outside. You said the reason that you booked the inside was due to your budget so dont let people talk you into spending more then what you can or want to. You will enjoye your cruise better if you know that you spent what you wanted to and not what somebody else wanted you to. I enjoyed all my cruises regardless of what cruiseline I took (Rccl, Carnival and Celebrity) or the Cabin I was in.
Old April 29th, 2001, 01:36 AM
Linda Marie

That is IF you go outside, you can see the ocean, without an outside cabin! If you get seasick, like one of my cousins did, in his Deck 4 fwd. inside, you'll be spending a lot more time in your stateroom than you meant to. Besides,IMHO the best place to view the sea is from your bed!
Old April 30th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, suddenly I am going from a Cat. M inside to a Cat. D BALCONY!! RCI has a promo where if you book a lowest cat. outside cabin, you are automatically upgraded to the highest category balcony! Or you can also book an inside and be upgraded to an outside cabin for the same price. If you choose this option you need to pay for the cruise up front. It's called Instant Booking and not sure how long it will last. If you book the outside to balcony you just need to leave the standard deposit. So, I decided to pay the extra for a low cat. outside and have that balcony after all! Now, I can hope that between now and August 2002 the prices will come down.