Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Default Explorer vs Golden Princess

My family and I are trying to decide which of these two ships to sail on for a family vacation over Thanksgiving. There would be 4 of us including my kids who are 12 and 10. We were on Voyager last March and just loved it. My kids especially loved the days at sea. Golden has 4 days at sea. For anyone who has been on both these ships or on both RCI and Princess, which do you think would be better for us? How is the kids program on Princess?
Thanks so much for your help

Elise
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Trudy

Default Re: Explorer vs Golden Princess

Hi. I can't tell you what I think of the two ships you just mentioned, but when it is between the two companies - Royal Caribbean or Princess, I personally would take RC over Princess any day. Have been on 2 RC and 2 Princess cruises. Just this last month we went on two short cruises - one on the Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas, and one on the Dawn Princess. Have been on Rhapsody of the Seas in the past. Princess just doesn't compare in my mind (food wise, service wise, ship wise, people wise) and I will now forever travel on Royal Caribbean. The kids programs were great on Royal Caribbean, although I can't tell you what they were like on Princess. On our first Princess cruise I did not find the kids programs that great, but that could have changed because it was about 5 years ago. But you know what? - I think anyone who is going on a cruise is lucky and I'm sure you and your kids would have a good time no matter what . . . and hey! - it's just my opinion. Hope you have a great time whatever you choose.
Old June 8th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Hi,
I disagree with Trudy, but that's ok, right? We've been on Princess 3 times and tried RCL Voyager of the Seas last March because we heard so many positive things about it. In our opinion, the food was much better on Princess both quality-wise and portion sizes. Also, our service for our stateroom was not as good as Princess; I even went to the purser over our overly-stained carpet and a smell of urine in the bathroom, but nothing was done. The Voyager was an awesome ship though and I now have to 'agree' with Trudy; either way you choose won't be wrong. I can't tell you about the kid's program because our children were grown when we took them. I, too, love the days at sea and our next cruise will be on the Golden.
Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old June 8th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

What a tough question!! We've been on Voyager and Explorer (4/01 most recent) and four other RCI cruises. Our son has loved each cruise (his 5th). We've done one Princess (Sun) which was his first one. In our opinion, the kids programs are outstanding on both lines.

Our favorite cruise line is RCI, however I would love to sail on the Golden or Grand. Good luck! Denise :-)
Old June 8th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Your responses just confirm my dilemma I figure we can't go wrong with either cruise line.

Elise
Old June 11th, 2001, 07:20 PM
David Starkey

Have sailed princess 3 times and royal carribbean 6 times, i have two teenage boys and they give the nod to royal carribbean by far...we have not been impressed with the kids programs on princess ships at all.