Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2001, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Default nickel and dimes

Hi,

My wife and I are considering traveling on the Voyager of the Seas in April 2002. It would be our first cruise. I was wondering what all the little extra costs that are associated with Voyager. I have heard they used to require a fee for rockclimbing, skating and such but no longer do. Is that true? I also hear they charge for soda's and milkshakes at Johnny Rockets. True? Are there other charges that keep coming up? People are paying for the cruise and I hope you don't feel nickel and dimed to death. We also are considering Carnival. Does one see more hidden costs on Carvinal or RCCL?

Any info would help.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: nickel and dimes

Hi David,
Its true, they no longer charge extra for the rockclimbing, but yes, you do pay for drinks at Johnny Rockets. Actually think all the costs are about the same on both and having just been on Explorer, it was our best crusie yet, wonderful ship, tons to do.

In case you haven't read through the section here for "first cruisers", here is a link, some great tips:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 8th, 2001, 12:31 AM
First Mate

Carnival will not in any way compare to Voyager.....they only make you pay for soda outside the dinning room (Carnival makes you pay in the dinning room). Don't make the mistake of Carnival its like a 5 star hotel compared to sailing on the Howard Johnson.

STeve..
Old June 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Hi, David,
I have to agree with Steve; there's absolutely no comparison to the Voyager vs. Carnival; stick with the Voyager. This being your first cruise, you'll be blown away with the enormity of this ship, but it's a first-class act. We were on the Voyager this past March and had a fantastic time! Make sure you eat at Johnny Rockets, even though the drinks are extra; it's definitely worth it! I don't know where you live, but there was a review on TV just the other night, showing the Voyager and all the ports they visited. Maybe check your TV guide to see if it'll be repeated. Only thing new I have to add is if you want to bring liquor on board, do it when you first get on the ship because they won't allow you to from the ports. They have mini-bars in each cabin, but if you touch anything in it for 30 seconds or longer, you're automatically billed. Bringing your own will help cut costs so you can make a drink and even take it outside of your cabin with you.
Have a wonderful cruise! I'm so jealous!
Old June 8th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Bobby

David:

On our first cruise on the Voyager, RCI did charge for the activities your mentioned. By our second cruise on the Explorer, all the activities were free. A great improvement with no consequence in terms of waiting. As for Johnny Rockets - yes there is a hefty charge for "milkshakes." I think it was over $4 including gratuity. I use the term "milkshake" loosely, since no real ice cream is used in its preparation. All the reviews I read say how good they are. I certainly would disagree. It's like getting a McDonald's milkshake with some malt powder thrown in. They use that soft serve soy stuff as the "ice cream." (Same stuff you get for free at Sprinkles on the Promenade.) It wasn't bad, but in no way compares with a true malt made with REAL ice cream. It certainly wasn't worth the cost. We were never charged for sodas at lunch in the main dining room or at dinner. The Voyager and Explorer are great ships in my opinion. You cannot go wrong with either. I'm looking to go on another cruise this winter. I'm nervous about trying any other ships, since I really like the activities on the Voyager class ships.
Old June 8th, 2001, 04:20 PM
First Mate

I believe the Travel Channel is showing the Voyager show again tonight, June 8 at 9 pm EST. Also again on Saturday, June 9 at 6 pm EST and Sunday, June 10 at 2 pm EST. It's a must see!!!