Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Royal Caribbean versus Celebrity

We have enjoyed our RCI cruises on the Grandeur and the Splendor, and are now booked for the Celebrity Summit in 2002. We are in our 50s and are not mega party-ers or sun worshippers. However, we are still young enough to want to have fun.

Is there anyone out there who's been on both? I hear the food on Celebrity is a little better, but I'm concerned about the entertainment. On Royal Caribbean we saw comedians as well as singers, production shows, people like David Brenner and The Platters. What have you seen on Celebrity????

MAC
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2001, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Caribbean versus Celebrity

BOTH ARE GREAT, BUT CELEBRITY WAS THE BEST OVERALL. THE FOOD IS SUPER, SHOWS GREAT, FUN TIME.. ENJOY
Old June 14th, 2001, 02:28 PM
First Mate

I sure Celebrity is a fine line, but I don't think any of their ships can really compare to Voyager or Explorer.

Steve...
Old June 14th, 2001, 06:36 PM
First Mate

Have cruised both lines extensively. Going on the Summit 1/25,was on Millenium and loved it.In past, Celebrity entertainment was not good, however, now it is on a par with Royal Caribbean. We loved it.
Old June 14th, 2001, 10:48 PM
First Mate

Maybe I replied to your post on Celebrity board?
But-- I think you will enjoy your cruise if you are RCI fans, but you also will keep your favor with RCI. There are some pluses to Celebrity-- The buffet food is better-- there were padded lounge chairs on the pool deck-- the drinks are served in classier glasses. There are no bar waiters pushing drinks after the first day, in fact it is hard to f ind a drink on t he sun decks. There a re umbrellas in the drinks. You are given a beach t owel f or the week ( we never saw ours again after the first use) t hat you must pay for if you don't return it>
The dining room food is slightly better ( Im' comparing to the Grandeur)
The bathrooms are bigger. there a re robes in the room.

There are fewer shore excursions available. And the shore excursion desk is not helpful or very enthusiastic.

The entertainment is not as good. THe bar staff is n ot a s good. Room service is not as good. We found s ervice in general to be adequate, but nothing memorable.

Boarding the ship was early on Millenium-- we enjoyed that.

The rest is not different enough to comment.

I would take either cruise line again---- but maybe I would use price, cabin, and itinerary to make my decision. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a celebrity cruise over a RCI cruise if they offered similar cruises!
Old June 15th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Shan Rose

Steve,

I totally agree with you. I am going on Explorer come next Oct. and am very excited. I have been on several RC ships and enjoy them very much.
Old June 19th, 2001, 09:43 AM
David Starkey

I have sailed RCI 5 times and Celebrity 6 times....no question food on Celebrity is far better than RCI.........I do not like sharing my vacation with 3000 other folks so count me off the Voyager......i like the idea of 1950 passengers on a 91,000 ton ship........do the math.........the space per passenger really is much better on the new Celebrity ships...( i am sailing Infinity on July 26th to AK, was on the cancelled June 8th sailing) and RCI to the Baltic in summer of 2002.....The rate that RCI quoted for next year to the Baltics was too good to pass up.
Old June 23rd, 2001, 08:50 AM
Bobby

I was on both the Voyager and Explorer. NO CROWDS at all. I never had to wait for anything on either ship. Often I had places to myself. I do believe that VOS & EOS offer things that other ships can't and you will not notice that there are 3000 more passengers on board. If crowds are smaller on smaller vessels, they must be ghost ships.
Old June 25th, 2001, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Barbara,

I see you have cruised both lines extensively. Have you been on Sovereign of the Seas? What is your outlook on that ship, considering it is a short cruise? We are considering her.

Thanks,

David