Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default explorer excursions

I am booked on the 4/13/02 Explorer to Labadee, Jamaica, Cozumel and Caymen island. We are in our 40's and our children are 13 and 10. My 70 year old parents will also be with us. Can you give me any suggestions for excursions to any of the ports. We are not big sight seeing tourists, but enjoy the beach and some sight seeing. I don't want to spend a day on a tour bus. Want to relax on beach but still experience some of the culture. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: explorer excursions

Hi Lisa,
Sounds like you are actually on Voyager going to the Western Caribbean, and if the trip to Sting Ray city in Grand Cayman is too much there is always 7 mile beach, very nice beaches by all the hotels. Another nice beach in Cozumel is Chankanaab park which you can grab a cab at the pier.

You can also check out all the different excersions on the RCCL web site:
<http://www.RCCL.com/>

Have a wonderful time on Voyager.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 19th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA

Hi Lisa

I was on Voyager in March (at that time it didn't stop at Grand Cayman). You are going to love Labadee if you just want a relaxing day on a beach.

In Jamaica we didn't take a tour, stayed on board and relaxed and just wandered into town by ourselves (this is an easy,quick walk, but hot) for an hour. There is a beach opposite where the ship docks (I think there is a fee $5 to go on it) but we preferred the ship.

In Cozumel, we took the ferry to Tulum ruins and Xel Ha. Sounds like you won't be doing that, but the excursion to the ecological park X-Caret, for a day of relxing and swimming got rave reviews from the people we spoke to. That would only involve you taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen and then a short bus trip.

Have a great time. When you get on the ship all the tours are described over and over on the TV in your cabin, so you can decide then.

Anita
Old June 19th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Hi Lisa,
Forgot to mention a super fun thing to do at Labadee is to sign up for the waverunner tour, 2 people can go and even switch driving, it was tons of fun.
You can also rent a floating mat for $10 and its a good idea to do that before hand, they tend to sell out and its a great way to just relax in the water, have fun.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 20th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Mike Bolner

Donna - I was on Explorer a few weeks ago and was told that next year Explorer and Voyager are going to alternate the east and west carribbean trips. Adds some variety and gets repeat customers a new ship and destination.
Old June 20th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Mike,
Wow, I haven't heard that, great idea. I'm actually thinking about Adventure too, gosh so many ships so little time and $

Thanks for that info.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 21st, 2001, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Are your p arents active 70's? If not, they may not enjoy Labadee at all-- it is worth walking around a little if it isnt too hot, but not much to do or see there e xcept sit on t he beach-- IMO the beach buffets are not worth going to, and the water is not that clear. People really enjoy the wave runners there-- the banana boat rides are very short. You get the best view from the ship-- and if we go there again, that is where we will sit all day! Our 10 year old got too hot on the beach and wanted to go back t o the ship early. The 13 year o ld loved floating on the mats. We were there both times in August-- so maybe the weather will b e different in April. We have never had trouble getting a float-- b ut we were not on one of the mega ships.
Dont forget to take a few $1 bills for tips f or the local guys who help you haul your chairs a round.

In Cozumel, you could take a taxi to Chankanaab-- there is stuff to do for both your parents ( its like a park) and the kids (dolphin swim or snorkeling). You could take the shore excursion there, but you can r eally do it on your own. The trip to TUlum involves alot of travel time, and I think the kids might get bored. After that t here would be time to walk around in town-- souvenir shopping, maybe visit a bar like Carlos and Charlies. I dont recall any great beaches you can go to-- the pretty ones are too wavy and rocky. There is one beach I cant remember the name, but you have to deal with vendors there.

I have heard,(never taken) that the sightseeing trips in Grand Cayman are not worth it-- We just took a van to a hotel that for a fee allowed you beach access. You can snorkel from the beaches there. Its expensive and not a great place for shopping. We did not do the stingray city-- but plan to next time there.

We had a bad experience in Jamaica, so I cant recommend anything there.

Barb