Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2001, 01:27 PM
First Mate

Default Shore excursion in Nassau

Hello. I am scheduled to sail on Sovereign in Sept and am wondering if anyone has been on the Blackbeard's Cay Shore excursion? Is it good and is it worth the money? How is the beach there? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2001, 02:37 PM
bobby

Default Re: Shore excursion in Nassau

David:

Can I suggest an alternative?

You can catch a local bus (75 cents I think) in Nassau to the Botanical Gardens. The entrace fee to the gardens is only $1.00. Adastra Gardens (like a small zoo) is located within walking distance of the Botanical Gardens. Entry fee there is $12, I think. The staff at Adastra are great and really friendly. This is a good and cheap way to spend some time in Nassau. After the rainforest excursion in San Juan, I think I have sworn off ship excursions. It's easier and cheaper to do it on your own.
Old July 6th, 2001, 02:59 PM
First Mate

Bobby,

Thank you. That sounds great. How long were you there? What is there to do and see? Did you get the taxi right off the ship? And does anyone else have anything to say about black beard's cay excursion?
Old July 6th, 2001, 03:36 PM
bobby

The boat docks right near the town, and you simply walk a few blocks into downtown and ask someone which bus takes you to the Botanical Gardens. (I think it is bus 10, but don't quote me on this.) We spent the whole afternoon at the both the Botanical Gardens and the Adastra Gardens after having shopped at the straw market for a little while. At Adastra, they have a show with trained flamigoes. Amazing to watch. The Botanical Gardens were almost deserted when we were there, so it was a nice relaxing day away from the crowds. It doesn't seem that many tourist know about the Botanical Gardens or Adastra. Go to the Bahamas website to get an idea of the general location. The website is http://www.bahamas.com/

You might find something else that you want to see or do when you visit the website. There are a lot of local buses to take or you can catch a taxi. We did everything by bus, so can't comment on taxi prices. We were there in nov/Dec, 2000 when we sailed the Explorer. We really enjoyed Nassau, so have a good time.
Old July 6th, 2001, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Thanks Bobby!!!
Old July 8th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Passenger

Hi David! My daughter and I just returned from the 4-night Sovereign cruise. One of the excursions we went on was the Blackbeards Cay Beach Break. It was only
$19.00 each (one of the cheapest excursions they offered). We boarded a ferry boat for a relaxing and scenic 30 min. ride. The beach was clean with plenty of lounge chairs. They had a large roped off swimming area and the water was SO clear and just beautiful, not like the nasty old lakes here in Georgia! I did a little bit of snorkeling, but there really weren't any fish around to see. There was also a souvineer shop, outside resturaunt and bar, and public restrooms. They had some guys there that were selling jet-ski rides ( their kinda pushy though, but just be firm and say no thank-you and they'll pretty much leave you alone). We were scheduled to stay about 3 or 4 hrs., but a BIG thunderstorm arrived so we had to leave early. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves and felt it was worth the money.
Hope you have a WONDERFUL time!
Old July 9th, 2001, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Iwannacruise,

Thank you so much for all that information. However, did you think it was worth the money? Secondly, Can you go back to the ship anytime you want or do you have to stay the 3 hours. Also, is the food on that island expensive? How hard was it to secure a beach chair?

Thank you for all your answers.

David
Old July 9th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Hi David! Your quiet welcome. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know.
Yes, we felt we got our moneys' worth at Blackbeards Cay, even though we only got to stay a couple of hours. I'm sorry, I really can't say how expensive the food was there. We took a few snacks along, so we didn't buy any. Although, it is only an outside area with, I think, hot-dogs and sandwiches, chips, and other pic-nic type foods. Probably is not too expensive. We had received a token coin for a free welcome drink when we first boarded the boat over. You could get either a rum punch or a fruit punch with it. We were able to get our lounge chairs as soon as we arrived right up next to the water. There seemed to be plenty of beach chairs available. You can't go back to the ship anytime because it is quiet a long way. However, there are sheltered areas and plenty of places to take it easy if the sun gets too much. I guess it depends on what your looking for. If your looking for a lot of activity, you might not enjoy it as much, but if you want to just take it easy and do some swimming and sunning, it's a nice little beach to do so.
Old July 9th, 2001, 02:30 PM
First Mate

Perfect!!! That's great. My wife and I just want to relax and take in some sun so this sounds perfect. Thank you for all your help.

David
Old July 13th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Jorge

Personally I do not think excursions are the best way to go when on a cruise unless it is something you really want to see. As far as Nassau is concerned... I would just grab a taxi over to Paradise Island and spend the day over there. The Atlantis hotel has a great beach as well as other parts of the island. There is a also an unofficial nude beach in Paradise Island near the Atlantis. Just ask the taxi driver.