Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Default Grandeur - W. Med Cruise with infant

Any thoughts on this cruise with an infant?? General
information appreciated as well. TIA
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Bobby

Default Re: Grandeur - W. Med Cruise with infant

Do yourself, the infant, and fellow cruisers a favor and leave the baby with grandma. Those couples whom we have seen with infants on board look pretty miserable. Remember, when the baby's cranky, everyone's cranky.
Old July 9th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Passenger

We took our 6 month old on the Sovereign Of The Seas in March and had a terrific time. Granted, we weren't able to go to the shows but we were suprised at how many others his age and not much older were on the ship. Now it was only a 4 day cruise but we were able sit by the pool all day or at the beach on the shore excursions. People take children/infants on vacation all the time so don't let that hold you back. Now, not sure how old your child is but ours slept like a baby at night and got plenty of attention from our dining room staff and cabin steward. They more than likely will seat you with others with children in the dining room. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail bradkburks@aol.com. But you only live once, so take him/her along. Just be sure to request a crib in advance. Ours was there waiting for him. And take plenty of infant/baby sunscreen.
Old July 9th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Camelot

Why don't you do some other type of vacation and hold off on cruising until the child is older. There will not be memories for the child, but could be a lot of unpleasant ones for you. We have watched others trying to cope with small infants and children onboard ships and looking miserable. Others in the dining area shun tables anywhere near small children and at least a portion of a meal is taken with one parent or the other taking the child out of the dining room. Children will be children and cruise ships are not the proper venue to expose small children or other passengers to. We have five, so I know that you can expect what you least expect.
Old July 9th, 2001, 04:40 PM
First Mate

I totally disagree with some of these postings. We went on a cruise in May with our 10 month old and we had a wonderful time. There are a lot of things that we did not do like the late shows, or parties, but we are not into that. We went to the pools, the children's pool, saw early shows and enjoyed ourselves. At dinner he would get restless because it was a long period of time for a child who doesn't eat that food to sit, but he was just fine. And yes, there are people who look down on having infants on a cruise, but you know what? Too bad for them. You are paying just as much if not more than them, and you have the same rights as they do. What? Because you have a child, you should not go cruising. That is absurd. No matter where you go, you are going to encounter all different types of people on vacation, and to each his own. Don't let anyone discourage you from cruising. One more thing, a cruise is one of the best vacations for a family due to the fact that when your child is tired, you can just walk to your room and have them nap, feed, etc. So by all means, enjoy yourself!!!!
Old July 9th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think infants or toddlers on a Caribbean cruise are one thing. If a parent wants to accept the challenges that can arise it's certainly their decision. Though I do think by doing so they accept a responsibility to their fellow passengers to at least watchover their children.

Easy enough to enjoy the sea days, the beaches etc in the Caribb., and as someone said, if they get cranky or tired, just head to the cabin.

I think the Med may be alot more difficult. Many of the tours you do are all day tours.. some cases 2 hrs just to get to the sites, and then full days trying to get to see the sights. Med cruises are also normally very port intensive; not many sea days. We've been to the Med twice, and came back to the ship exhausted each day.

These "cruising kids" discussions come up every so often, and can be volatile. However, I don't think it's entirely fair to assume that everyone who recommends against it has anything against kids.
Perhaps, they've simply experienced situations where parents with toddlers, kids or teens have been something less than responsible in dealing with their children onboard.

BTW,I don't think an adult peeing in a pool would please me any more than a child peeing in the pool <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 9th, 2001, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Take your little one and have some fun. I have cruised with little ones three times and I always had a great time. It seems some of these other post just don't like children on their cruises. Princess, RCCL and Carnival will give you a crib and HAL will even give you diapers. I started with my first when he was less than a year and now they can't wait untill next year for the Explorer of the Seas.
Old July 10th, 2001, 09:08 PM
dsawyer

Cruising and touring with your baby should be just fine. However, the transatlantic flight could be a killer. Sometimes, the flights are so miserable I feel I can hardly stand it and I know it would be grueling with an infant. If you do decide to go, maybe it might be good to go a couple of days early and get a little rest before the cruise. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old July 11th, 2001, 10:34 AM
First Mate

How old will your infant be? I would think the younger the better--- our kids were great until they started to walk -- then all hell broke loose.
Does you child fly well? OUrs had lots of ear infections, and many times when we flew they screamed from the pain -- and resulted in a doctors visit when we arrived, as a result we drove to our vacations ( we never took a cruise til the youngest was 4 -- so no advice f rom me here)

Will someone else be going with you (grandma for example) ? Are you willing to stay in the cabin or pay a sitter-- or maybe forego a shore excursion?

If you are travelling with a large family group this would really help.