Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2001, 12:15 AM
Reen

Default dress code

hi im going on an alaskan cruise august 5th aboard the vision of the seas.what i am wondering is how dressed up do you have to get for the formal nights?also im wondering how many people do dress up in tuxes, ect. i have two boys, 9 and 13 and they do not own tuxes.can we rent them on the ship and should we.+how much do they cost?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: dress code

Dear Reen,
Altho we have not been on an Alaska cruise, the formal nights are probably pretty much the same on the Caribbean cruises. Many men do wear tuxes, but there are just as many in suits. If your sons have suits or blazers and slacks, shirts and ties, I think they would be fine. We were all adults (8) last trip and one man rented a tux, two men brought their own, and one man wore a suit. Our women wore everything from a short cocktail dress to dressy pantsuits, but there are women in formals and "mother of the Bride" type outfits.

Hope that helps!
Beth
Old July 16th, 2001, 07:55 AM
First Mate

just have them wear khakis and button down shirts(probably long sleeve) -- ties and or blazers if they have them or can borrow them. You w on't find many kids in tuxes-- adults will be in them (maybe 40%)--90% of the men will be in dark suits or tuxes, you might e ven see men in dark sports jackets. To me renting a tux is not worth the expense. Especially if you have 3 guys to dress!
I used to go to stores, this time of year is great too, and get greatly marked down jackets for the boys. If you can get them cheap, do i t, but don't worry about the boys. They will need long pants for all nights in the dining room. Jeans generally do not work.
Never took the kids to alaska, but I heard it isnt as formal as the caribbean-- probably meaning fewer tuxes. Took o ur boys at that age to caribbean a few times.
Old July 17th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Rita Gallagher

Reen, when we cruised Alaska there were fewer tuxes than we've seen in the Caribbean. I wouldn't spend the money for the kids tuxes, but would dress them in a long sleeve shirt, pants, tie and a sports jacket or blazer. They should wear long pants every night in the dining room, but they don't need a jacket or tie except for the formal nights.
Old July 18th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Robie

Cruise attire is more casual. Just got back. Brought fancy formal gowns. Never wore them. Used what I brought for semiformal on formal nights. Casual nights are the same adaywear. Jeans are ok in the dining room even at night. Leave the fancy stuff home. Relax and enjoy.