Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2001, 05:41 PM
First Mate

Default Best Jewelry Shopping - St. Thomas or St. Martin?

Which has the better jewelry shopping - St. Thomas or St. Martin?

What stores do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:54 PM
arlenerup

Default Re: Best Jewelry Shopping - St. Thomas or St. Mart

I have not shopped for Jewelry on St. Maarten but . . .
St. Thomas must have a few hundred jewelry stores. You do need to shop around, prices really varied. We found the best deal and the most plesent personel at Omni Jewelers. We did go into town but there is also an Omni right at the peer shops. It got to be a very long day by the time we went to so many stores. I wish we would have found Omni right away. We new what we wanted and Omni had it. We were looking for white gold which a lot of the stores did not have. At Omni we pick out the setting, found the stone we wanted, and they made it in white gold for us. It took an hour for them to make it for us and it was done and we are very happy with it. My husband was so happy he called the store the following year and ordered a braclet to match. They mailed it to us in about a week from the time he called. I would highly recomend Omni. Arlene
Old July 20th, 2001, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

My wife likes Princess World in St Thomas. Nice Tanzanite there and good quality. There are many reputable dealers on St Thomas. Columbia Emeralds has two locations there. Follow your reccomendations from the cruise line and most purchases are guaranteed by them.
Old July 20th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Seatravelers

My wife has had much luck in St. Maarten at Diamonds International. She has bought several items at their stores in the Caribbean, but likes St. Maarten the best.
Old July 21st, 2001, 12:59 AM
First Mate

I too have had great luck with Omni Jewelers in St. Thomas! They couldn't have been more helpful or fair in their prices! Excellent service too! I didn't have the same experience at Diamonds International in Cozumel, even complained to cruise line who actually didn't do anything and Diamonds International has not responded to any correspondence.
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mark wrote:
>

> Follow your reccomendations from the cruise line and most
> purchases are guaranteed by them.

The cruise lines require a fee be paid to them by the merchant to get on their "recommended list". It really doesn't make any of the stores that are not on the list any less reputable OR those on the list any more reputable.

It's a source of revenue for the cruise lines.. just like selling u a drink.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 21st, 2001, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

I understand that the fee is paid. My point is this: My wife purchased a ring from Columbia Emeralds Int. , in St Thomas. She lost an emerald from this ring. Since they were on the reccomended list, NCL took the ring thru their office and took care of replacement at no cost to us. This is a nice service.
Old July 22nd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like Little Switerland (in either port), especially if you're looking for watches.
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Bobby

I suggest that you price jewelry where you live BEFORE you go on the cruise. Often you can get the same item for less at home. Yeah, I know this takes the fun out of it, but you really need to be careful. For example, sterling silver prices in the States are usually better than you can find in Mexico. If you don't have anything with which to compare, you may think you are getting a good deal with they knock 50% of an item when in reality you are paying 20% more than you would back home.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Familiar Face

Default Shopping St. Thomas

I will be going in Feb. and Love the llittle mom/ pop stores that sell sterling silver. Are there any good deals on sterling silver in St. Thomas, Antigua, Martinique or St. Lucia?
Royal Caribbean 1996
Carnival 2000
Holland 2002
Holland 2004-ooster-east
Holland 2005 veen-west
Holland 2006-Westr-east
Princess 2007-Crown
NCL-Feb. 2008-Sun-west
NCL-Feb.-2009-Spirit
Princess Crown-Mar. 2010-west
Royal Caribbean-Brillance-Oct 2010-Medit
Princess 2012-Crown-South
Princess 2013-Crown-South
NCL -2014-Jewel-western
Royal Caribbean-2015-Jewel/seas-South
Old October 31st, 2014, 12:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I suggest that you price jewelry where you live BEFORE you go on the cruise. Often you can get the same item for less at home. Yeah, I know this takes the fun out of it, but you really need to be careful. For example, sterling silver prices in the States are usually better than you can find in Mexico. If you don't have anything with which to compare, you may think you are getting a good deal with they knock 50% of an item when in reality you are paying 20% more than you would back home.
Totally agree with your recommendation.

In our case....several purchases in St. Maarten proved to be outstanding value deals. We did the homework ahead of time, and saved literally thousands.

In addition, while gong back to both St. Maarten & St. Thomas multiple times...we have seen the purchased items increase significantly in price.

Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09