Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Larry Wagner

Default Miami Beach How Safe

We Are sailing on Majesty of the Seas on Oct 5 and I am thinking of staying the night before at the Best Western on the beach in Miami Beach. Does anyone know how safe the Bord Walk is? and the area?
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2001, 08:29 PM
bell

Default Re: Miami Beach How Safe

It really depends on where in Miami Beach you go. Make sure there are plenty of other people around and lights , if not , I don't advise it. There are some areas in Miaim Beach that can be somewhat dangerous at night or even day. I know ,I lived there almost half my life.
Old August 20th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Dave & Kristy

We stayed last year at the Ramada Miami Beach before sailing. I did not care much for Miami, it is HUGE and I am from a large city. Few people speak English, but the hotel was nice and everyone was friendly. We went out on the beach area at dusk, but did not stay long. We did not go out at night, we ordered dinner from room service and sleep in. Not the greatest plug for Miami I guess, but overall it was OK. I would not want to live there. haha.

Dave
Old August 20th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Larry Wagner

Hi Bell and Dave and Kristy Thanks for your reply. Bell since you live or lived in Miami would you reccomend South Beach or Down Town over Miami Beach? We will arrive in Fort Lauderdale around 730pm and only staying one night. Or do you think we would be safer staying in Fort Lauderdale? I am from a Big City and have seen what can happen to tourest who wander into the wrong area's. I worked 20yrs in the State Penn and dont want to become a victim. So let me know what you think. Its not to late to change reservations.Thanks
Old August 21st, 2001, 01:34 AM
vsmolyan

We stayed in South Beach Miami twice. Went out at night and didn't have any problems. Plannning to stay there again in November. Stay on Ocean Drive or Collins Avenue.
Old August 21st, 2001, 02:56 PM
riggan

Hallo over ther!
My son (30year) and I were in Miami april -98. We lived on Di Lido hotell on Lincoln road. We were out in Miami Beach every nights and that was allright. But we were told to just go the big streets. I think it iso everywere, or? My son and I took a cruise whith Sovereign of the Seas to Bahamas and it was wonderful. Out younger son worked as massagetherapist in the Spa.
Have a nice vacation and a wonderful cruise!
Riggan from sweden
Old August 25th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Heather (San Diego)

Miami Beach is great. The last couple of Carib cruises my husband and I have taken we have stayed in Miami Beach. I love the location for the local flair and for the great restaurants. They also have many shops for last minute purchases for sandals or for getting haircuts (cuban style). We have walked around the blocks and enjoyed the cuban style pizza, etc.

We have stayed at Loew's both times and there are security staff at all times walking the beach.. Also, a little futher south on Collins (where the heart is), there are always a lot of police officers and security staff. I cannot imagine why there would be any problem with safety.

I hear that there may be a problem at Biscayne Bay. This is news to me since I have never stayed there but will be my next cruise (in three weeks).

Heather
Old August 25th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Heather (San Diego)

Larry, I just reread your post. Since you are getting into Ft. Lauderdale in the early evening and cruising the next day, you should stay in Ft. Lauderdale; overall, the hotels are better value. Also, by the time you get to Miami and checkin, etc, it will be 9:30PM.

The best deals I have seen this fall are at the Wyndham in Biscayne Bay ($79 incl. taxes) and at Loew's Miami Beach ($140 plus tax). The InterContinental at Biscayne is also offering a deal at $119/night weekend. One warning about Loew's : one child's grilled cheese sandwich, one adult cheeseburgar (no fries or salads included with either), two "house special" bloody mary's and one Diet Coke: $72 out the door with less than normal tip. But it is an awesome hotel and my highest recommendation for South Beach (but not worth the $ for getting in that late)

Anyway, your best bet is to stay downtown Miami somewhere and then drive to South Beach, it is only 4 or so miles away. You can pick up the weekend rates and still enjoy the nighlife. If you want to go for two or more nights, consider Loew's (with warning) and the other resorts further up.

Heather
Old August 25th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Larry Wagner

Thanks Heather I will take that into consideration,