Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2001, 03:21 PM
Mike Lari

Default Explorer ~ Portofino Questions!

I posted these questions earlier this month but they were at the bottom of a long list of replies and i need some further clarification on these questions. So, I am reposting this as a new item!

I have a few questions about Portofino's...

1. Is the menu different each night (like in main dinning) or are they the same every night(i.e. standard menu)?

2. If it is a standard menu, what would be the main courses(obviously, filet minon and lobster should be standard items)?

3. What is the recommended(or required) dress... (formal, semi-formal or casual) or does it depend on the day of the week?

4. What are the reservation times that would be available.. (from what time to what time)?

5. How far in advance should you make the reservation?

6. What is the proper tipping policy and what is the recommended amount or percentage?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Traci

Default Re: Explorer ~ Portofino Questions!

Mike:

I can answer some of your questions. Here it goes.

3. Dress is smart casual.

4. Not sure of complete times available but we got 6/6:15, around the time when we would normally have dinner in the dining room. We took our 4-year-old to the Adventure Ocean program so he could eat dinner with the kids at Johnny Rockets and went right to Portofino's (my husband, myself, and our 13-year-old daughter).

5. I believe we made our reservation on Tuesday or Wednesday for Thursday evening. We didn't have a problem at all. In fact, some of the crew (I think the captain was with them) came in while we were there with a bunch of people and sat right next to us.

6. We tipped by figuring out about what the same meal would cost us around our hometown and then giving 20%. We didn't have time to hit the cash machine so we were able to put the $20 surcharge and the tip on our ship charge.

Not sure about the variety of the menu - just what I told you before. My husband and I had the filet mignon and our daughter had the chicken parm. I had the chocolate mousse for dessert and my husband and daughter had the tiramisu, which was to die for and highly recommended. Our waiter was Vincenzo and he was excellent! Have a great time!!!! Wish we were going again.

Happy cruising!
Traci
Old August 26th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Mike Lari

Thanks Traci,

Sorry for being redundant on the questions... This really helps!

Mike
Old August 28th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Traci

No apologies needed, Mike. I hope you have a great time. I wish I could remember what else was on the menu for you. Maybe someone on here was on more than once and would know. Anyway, have a great time and let us know how it went.

Traci