Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Shan Rose

Default Wartime....A Problem?

I was just curious if anyone else had thought of these ships not being able to go out to sea during this critical time? My cruise is for 10/20 and I'm hoping we will be able to cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2001, 11:29 PM
aud

Default Re: Wartime....A Problem?

I'm cruising 11/2 and was wondering the same thing?!?! I did take out trip insurance on my own - not through the cruise line. I'll have to check it out further!l
Old September 15th, 2001, 11:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

I read another post that insurance dose not cover for acts of war .You may want to check your policy to see if it dose or not ? Good luck Doreen
Old September 18th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Candace

I did look at my policy. Acts of war and terrorism are specifically NOT covered. Interestingly, civil disobedience is.
Old September 21st, 2001, 01:55 AM
Passenger

I was on Radiance last week. My first cruise.

I will tell you, frankly, the crews of these ships are not well-trained when it comes to security. They just don't have experience. They are well-meaning, but although they set up an airport-like security station at the entrance to the ship and made only one entrance/exit available, the security people didn't check my card, and forgot to check my purse. The crew are international. Many don't speak English well.

Our ship was searched in the hours after the bombing. The man who searched our cabin feared he had lost someone in the bombing since his family was from NYC. He was a wreck, understandably. He was very polite and asked if it was ok to open the drawers, saying he wouldn't do so if not. Other crew members searching the decks were very thorough--opening the fire extinguisher cabinets, etc. There was a wide, wide variation. At first, RCCL was going to have the passengers search their own rooms.

Radiance is a huge ship. It is one of the nicest ships in the world. Many of RCCL's ships are huge and sail in American waters. I think it is very important for passengers to demand increased security.
Old September 27th, 2001, 11:40 AM
BillG

I don't think you need worry unnecessarily. As of now all ships are sailing (we are going on a one-nighter out of Boston, today). Unless something drastic or dramatic happens between now and then, our October 20th Explorer cruise is still on, and we intend to be there.