Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCCL Sticks it to Passengers

We should be sailing the Inside Passage right now, but Washington National Airprt is closed. We booked our air through them and could not get out. They did nothing to reroute us through other airports. Now, they refuse to refund our money or anyone else's money. They are ONLY giving vouchers. We found a "special" for our cruise and will now have to pay on top of what our voucher would be. I did not cancel my trip and feel that RCCL should give passengers a choice to re-book or to refund their money.

Patricia
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: RCCL Sticks it to Passengers

I think the cruise lines are actually doing more than people have a right to expect by offering full value future cruise vouchers.
I'm amazed that people expect all the cruise lines to eat EVERYONE's losses, which they are in essence doing anyway by offering full credits.

This week's horrific events are certainly unprecedented, and I think the cruise lines have reacted admirably in a very difficult situation.

I'm sure their financial losses from this will be staggering, and could possibly put some cruise lines (and airlines) in tenuous financial positions.
The wise thing would have likely been to let all we cruisers share in the losses, by not returning or crediting our fares. They didn't do that, and for that they should be applauded not berated. At least that's my humble opinion.

Regards,
Kuki... who was supposed to sailing Explorer of the Seas tonight
Old September 16th, 2001, 12:44 AM
Ceddie

Thank you Kuki I couldn't have said it better myself.
Ceddie
Old September 16th, 2001, 12:58 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

Kuki,
As usual, I admire your perspective on this topic. I do so much agree with you. Perhaps many of our disappointed cruisers haven't really stopped to think about the possible devastating effect this tragedy may have on our finances. I understand that each individual cruiser is thinking about his or her own personal finances, but I'm worried about the financial future of our country. The effects of this disaster can multiply out of control, exponentially, if we don't go forward with our faith in the ability of our country and the global economy to survive. And expecting the nameless, faceless corporations to absorb staggering financial losses is unrealistic. Companies only survive when the bottom line numbers add up. We are looking at the potential for global recession. Let's all go out and buy stocks on Monday, reinvest in our economy, and take our originally scheduled cruises or bite the bullet and accept our financial losses if we decide to stay home. I certainly understand that everyone grieves in a different fashion, and the fear factor is high, but our very way of life is being threatened. Let's all do our small part to keep our economy afloat. JMHO
jennifer
Old September 16th, 2001, 11:54 PM
RIX!

Rix and I are were very surprised and very happy that RCI was able to accommodate us after we couldn't make our cruise yesterday because we couldn't get a flight from the west coast. RCI's Terms and Conditions absolutely state that they are not responsible for losses if one doesn't make the cruise. They even spell out including war and acts of terrorism.

I guess this was why we have been more than pleased with the way they have handled this unfortunate crisis, especially since we didn't book the air with them.

One thing I would like to mention is that we also booked this cruise very early (about nine months) to get the early booking discounts. For some of the upcoming sailings, our vouchers would have been shy by a few hundred dollars and we couldn't extend embarkation too far in the future (it had to be in the next two months) because of our vacation schedules. We explained the situation to our TA and told her that we were flexible in our sail dates but we would like the same category (balcony) for around the same price. She called me back to let us know that RCI would accommodate us and even give us an upgrade if we could leave Saturday 9/22. It was short notice for a change in plans but since they were going out of their way to do this for us, we feel like we can also.

Once again, I am very happy that they have done this for us and for many people in the same situation. But we also have to have compassion for all of the money they lost by doing this and "give an inch" ourselves.

Happy sailing everyone and bless everyone and those we lost,

Heather and Rix

P.S. We have been so pleased with RCI in this situation that all of our future cruises will be booked on RCI and Celebrity, if possible. Also, many other cruise lines, including Carnival who stated that their customers are more the of the drive to the pier type rather than the fly to the pier type, did not extend the generousity that RCI and Celebrity did.
Old September 17th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Heather and Rix:

We will also be on the 9/22/01 sailing of the Explorer. May I ask where you are flying out from? We are leaving from San Francisco. Hope to meet you onboard.

Suzy and family
Old September 18th, 2001, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rix..
Hope U and Heather are able to join a bunch of us Friday night at Lombardi's at Bayside MarketPlace.

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 18th, 2001, 12:44 AM
RIX!

Suzi;

We are flying out of San Diego. Perhaps you can meet us up at Lombardis Fri. around 8:30. We are honored we can still meet up Kuki and looking forward to it.