Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Mr. Tom

Default Lack of Activities on RCCL

We were on a fourteen day cruise on RCLL in Europe this summer. It was our second cruise in Europe on RCCL. Both trip had great itineraries but poor food and nothing much going on after dinner. The shows are lame to say the least.so its drink or sleep. My friends all say it must be a fluke RCCL is great but I now question what they accept as great.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Lack of Activities on RCCL

I know what you mean. We were in Alaska last year. If you were not into fitness
there was not much to do.

Couldn't even buy a magazine or newspaper to read.

The food and bar staff were great, the cabin stewardess was grouchy and the weather stunk. (I know that's not RCCL fault) but I think they can do a better job of entertainment.

By the way the cruise director was called Gordon ????? and he was the best I have ever come across. Pity his staff wasn't as good!!!!!
Old September 26th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mr. Tom,
Thinking it could of just been the ship/itinary. We cruised on Explorer earlier this year and you would never say activities were lacking, in fact I could of easily stayed on another week and still not done everything I wanted. I would think, the ports you visited were more interesting???

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 26th, 2001, 11:11 AM
BillG

Donna, I think you have hit on a very good point. Most European itineraries that I have seen involve a lot of time off the ship, with lengthy and extensive excursions. It may be that onboard activities and entertainment are curtailed either because of lack of passenger participation and interest. It may also have something to do with the passenger makeup which may be older than what you might find on a Caribbean cruise. On all of our RCI cruises, including one from Honolulu to Vancouver, I found a wide variety of activities, especially during the five days at sea enroute to Vancouver. Unless someone has experienced other European cruises it may not be fair to base our judgements on the quality of activities and entertainment on RCI on a comparison with what we typically find on a 7 night Caribbean cruise. Of course since the poster praised the cruise director, it might just be that the rest of the cruise staff and the entertainers just weren't up to par on this particular cruise. It happens.
Old September 27th, 2001, 05:50 PM
mlb

I was on an RCCL ship in Europe this summer as well. Had been on the same ship before in the Caribbean. Found that although I enjoyed the European cruise, it just isn't the same type of cruising as the Caribbean, which I think my family prefers. Perhaps the weather & the many ports, all chock full of WAY too much to see in one day, have something to do with it. People tend to rise earlier & stay off the ship much more. They are dead when they return. In the Caribbean, everyone is a little more into "feeling hot, hot, hot!", & are in a party atmosphere (& I am not referring to getting plastered!). Even the staff on the European cruise said the Caribbean was more fun to work!

In addition to the above, we just happened to have been on a different RCCL ship a couple of months before that had the very same cruise director as the one in Europe! The asst. cruise director was not the same on the European cruise, however, & we quickly recalled that the guy who made everything so much livelier & funnier in the spring was the ASSISTANT ("Bingo Matt", who did a super Austin Powers imitation!) Even though both cruises had Disco Night w/the (fake) Village People, etc., it was MUCH better on the spring cruise/ship. Different Village People, different asst. c/d, etc. So there are a lot of reasons why one particular ship or sailing is different from another.
Old September 28th, 2001, 01:43 AM
Ginnie

European and Alaskan cruises don't have the same level of activities as Caribbean cruises do. This is true for all cruise lines. We have sailed the eastern and western Mediterranean and Alaska on 3 different lines and found that to be the case. After a full day of touring, most people were exhausted and went to bed much earlier. My husband and I used to go dancing a bit after dinner, second seating, and go to bed as well, as we had an early morning tour. Royal Caribbean's entertainment and level of activities is totally different on a less port intensive itinerary. We will be sailing on our 18th Royal Caribbean cruise on the Explorer, October 20, and are also booked for the New Year's cruise on the Grandeur. We will not be bored!
Happy Cruising!