Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2001, 07:05 PM
ltc

Default Any RCCL lovers who had great Carnival experiences

Planning a cruise on Carnival next spring though we usually go on RCCL, & have been on a few other lines. The only other time we did Carnival was 4 or 5 years ago, on a new ship, & we were not impressed. Though we did have fun, it just wasn't the same quality cruise as RCCL, though it wasn't any cheaper. We were also a little embarrassed over the service as we had some first timers with us & WE had chosen the ship, talked up the service, etc. The crew mostly tried; they just weren't well trained & had much more trouble communicating, etc. The head waiter was always yelling at his staff. Even up in the buffet area at breakfast one a.m.! Very embarrassing for both the crew and passengers. (But I realize he was just one jerk out of many nice crew members.) Food wasn't up to RCCL's & the cabins looked rather stripped down or dorm-like. And there seemed to be a continual party in the hot tubs - the same large group - getting roaring drunk. Forget anyone else using a hot tub, unless you went to what is sort of like the solarium area. So - my question to RCCL lovers is, please tell me if you have recently been on Carnival & really enjoyed it. That it really HAS improved, & so forth. We are trying to go with an open mind & do want a new experience. (Need a change from RCCL this year & anyway, friends want to go on Carnival.) Thanks to any of you who respond.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Any RCCL lovers who had great Carnival experie

I wish I had better news for you, but after sailing with RC and then Carnival, we were VERY disappointed. We will not go on Carnival again, at least not any time soon. Service, food, and the ship (Triumph) were fine, maybe a step below what you would expect from RC, but the entire "atmosphere" was not what we want in a vacation. Don't get me wrong, we had a nice vacation, but when we decided to cruise again, we chose Royal Caribbean in a heartbeat.
Old September 27th, 2001, 08:19 PM
First Mate

My wife and I traveled the Paradise last year and we had a wonderful time. The ship is a non smoking one and for that reason its was pretty quite. The food was pretty good. My wife and I are traveling on the Explorer of the Sea and Carnival's Fascination next year. In the end it's what floats your boat.
Old September 27th, 2001, 09:57 PM
ltc

OOOOHHH, that is EXACTLY how we felt after taking our other Carnival cruise, & what I am afraid we might feel like after the next one. Wish I could gracefully get out of it, but with others wanting to go. . . Guess the company we keep will help make it better. I hope! Thanks for your reply.
Old September 27th, 2001, 10:02 PM
ltc

Mike, you failed to mention whether you had ever sailed an RCCL ship PRIOR to your Paradise cruise. I have heard that the Paradise is a little more calm than some of the other Carnival ships. Though we like to have a lot going on to choose from & a festive atmosphere, we also like a feeling of a bit of class. Like you mentioned, it's what floats your boat & I guess I want to FLOAT so badly, I will go on any ship I get a chance to! Thanks for your input.
Old September 28th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

ltc -

I have sailed with many cruise lines, and have 5 carnival cruises under my belt. Being a bit older and wanting to 'test the waters', my wife, daughter and I took the grandparents on RCI 3 weeks ago. I must say, I think Carnival still gets the edge. The food on RCI was nowhere near as good as Carnival (we last sailed CCL in 9/99), service was about equal, and for my money, Carnival's ships are easier to navigate, with the double-wide promedade. Granted, the parties by the pools and hot tubs can get a bit rowdy on CCL, but there are lots of other places on the ship you can go. The overall clientele on CCL vs. RCI seems about the same these day, and you can even throw NCL in there as well. So, take it with a grain of salt, but these two lines are pretty similar, but CCL wins by a neck, in my humble opinion.
Old September 29th, 2001, 02:12 AM
ltc

Thanks, Matt. Sounds encouraging!
Old September 29th, 2001, 09:42 PM
sealady

I have found no comparison between RCCL and Carnival... Carnival has many days at sea so you can spend more money!!!Food is ok... entertainment is "canned" The ambiance on RCCL is better unless you are into neon... Carnival is successful because they appeal to everyone .. but as the mass not as individuals.. personally,, I would not go on Carnival unless it was free
Old October 1st, 2001, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi there,

Five of my family members just returned from Carnival Spirit to Alaska. Although previous RCCL fans, they truly enjoyed their experience on this ship. Food alternatives were great and accommodations good. Only thing lacking as far as they were concerned is Service!

M
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:40 PM
ltc

I wonder if Carnival is listening? So many people say the same thing. It was also our experience on the only Carnival ship we were ever on. I wonder why they just can't seem to keep up with the other lines on this aspect?
Old October 4th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

Just returned from cruising the Triumph. We were on board on 9/11/01. Definitely not a good day. This was our third and last time for Carnival. Previously had done the Inspiration and Celebration. In between we cruised the RCCL Splendour of the Seas and, to us, there is no comparison. Food, service, ship, entertainment was all much better on the Splendour. Food on the Triumph was not good. Dining room food was better than buffet, but just barely. Colors on the Triumph were unbelievable...as if they purposely went out of their way to make colors and fabrics clash. Splendour's colors were beautiful. There were potted plants around the pool areas to add a touch of "splendour". There was nothing to add any beauty on the Triumph...just the basics. Bottom line...RCCL gets our vote.
Old October 6th, 2001, 11:19 PM
LV2CruiseRCCL

I too am not a fan of Carnival. I have sailed on CCL twice and the second time was enough for me. They didn't lack in the dining department nor their shipboard amenities. It's their customer service on the ship and in Miami that did it for me. Let's just say we dubbed that cruise "The Nightmare in Hell."

RCI has always been my favorite and I never had a problem with them in the 11 years that I have sailed with them, until this past July. I wrote RCI about a minor problem while sailing on the Monarch. Nothing major, just some things that I thought they should have been made aware of. Three days after mailing the letter I received and email from them acknowledging that they received it and were looking into the matter. About 3 weeks after that I received a nice letter from their customer service department and vouchers for money off my next sailing.

I guess it's the customer service that makes a big difference. RCI goes out of their way, CCL could care less.