Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'm Scared!

We're sailing at the end of October out of Miami. Not only am I hesitant about the flight to get there, but I'm wondering what security measures they take to avoid any kind of biological problems on the ship. How would security check for that? Please help! Up until 4 weeks ago, I was so excited about this vacation. I am so scared!
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: I'm Scared!

Personally, and I can only speak for myself, I feel more secure flying now then I did before the attack. I believe we are safer for several reasons, including:
1. The passengers on the plane would no longer stand for something like, they would kill anyone threatening the plane before they could pose a real risk, or at least restrain that person until the plane can get on the ground.

2. The airlines have changed their policy regarding hijackers. Before 9/11 they let the hijackers take control and the worst they thought would happen is that they would have to detour to Cuba or something like that. Now the airlines are telling the pilots to not open the door no matter what and to get the plane on the ground ASAP if there is a problem.

3. The terrorists have already used airplanes once, so that specific threat is over. People are prepared for airline problems now, so the impact wouldn't be as great as it was.

Yes there is a threat of an attack, but I would feel safer on a ship in the middle of the ocean then in the big city I live just outside of.

I refuse to live my life in fear, because then I let the terrorists' plan win. There is no way I am going to let them win over me.

Go on the cruise and have a great time, just give yourself plenty of time to get on and off the ship as security has been beefed up and it takes a little longer now.
Old October 9th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There is no question times are difficult now. There is no way to tell people not to be afraid. But, I've just returned from two cruises back to back on different ships. Security was quite tight, and with the events of recent days since my return, I would bet they'll be tightened further.
No one can guarantee your safety at any time, but you could cancel your cruise, and get hit by a bus. To my view, these are all chances we take by living.

All of these terrorist attacks are attacks on Freedom, which these madmen don't understand. They don't understand the freedom of religion, the freedom to voice different opinions, the freedom to choose. Therefore their goal is to destroy what they can't comprehend.

We have another cruise booked over New Years. If the airplanes are flying, and the ships are cruising, I'll be there to enjoy and flaunt my freedom. Both as a mental health break a vacation provides, and to honor those who have, in the past, and are presently fighting to preserve our freedom!

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 9th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Admiral

While nothing is certain in life, I can tell you that the Cruise Lines have gone up to Level 3 as far as security is concerned. No new bookings or names within 48 or so hours of sailing, with the passenger list being vetted by the FBI in Washington. Carefull examination of baggage, ID's when entering the Port and then again several times at the pier itself... plus many other measures in place on board... all make me think that being on a ship is quite a safe place to be. We sailed on the Summit a week ago and are sailing again on the Golden Princess on Thursday, for a few days. Relax and enjoy.

Ernie
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Mike & Kathy Jol.

Are all bags x-rayed b-4 they are
delivered to each room?
Old October 10th, 2001, 04:27 PM
BillG

From what I have read about the minimal number of checked bags that are x-rayed by the airlines, even now, I certainly wouldn't try to convince anyone that all, or even, a majority of the bags checked onto a cruiseline are xrayed. However, security on all modes of transportation are undergoing scrutiny and it is probably more safe to fly now than before the terrorists' attacks.
Nothing is 100% safe, however, and there are so many things that you can imagine might be targets for terrorists that you can paralyze yourself and be afraid to do anything. That's certainly no way to live the rest of your life. Be aware of your surroundings, take reasonable precautions and you will probably be fine. There are no guarantees, but there are a lot more of us than there are of them, so don't go around imagining that you are their next target. An over active imagination can cause you a lot of unneccessary worry. You probably know deep down, that there is little reason to believe that terrorists have targeted you or your particular cruiseship for their nefarious deeds, so don't become so overwhelmed by fear that it effects everything you do.
Old October 11th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I truly appreciate it. You are right!!!
Old October 11th, 2001, 07:57 PM
tjukka

Jo,
No need to worry I am on the Vision now and every thing is safe and secure. when boarding the ship you must have a picture ID. Belive me I feel safer on the ship then I do traveling anyother way. I also flew on the Sunday the US decided to strike back didn't find out for 3 hours after.
Tj
Old October 13th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Jo,
I can certainly understand and appreciate your fears. My wife and I are scheduled to sail on Majesty on 12/17/2001 and I can understand the fear some people have. With that said I can only offer a bit of "philosophy"...Go! have a great time and email me when you get back and tell me you had a wonderful time. Jo, "Don't Let the Bastards WIN". I apologize for my language to all whom I have offended but if we as a people become "afraid of our own shadows" the bad guys have won. Don't let them. Please everyone, let's not be afraid. It is time for "them" to be afraid. I refuse to allow terrorists to ruin my life. As far as I am concerned I've had enough of being afraid and I'm not going to take it anymore. So Osma, take a hike.
Michael
Old October 13th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Passenger

Jo... We are all scared or aprehensive or worried!! So, how am I handling these feelings I can not explain... I'm flying, I'm cruising, I'm traveling -- the things I love to do the most!!!

My husband and I were in Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas on 9/11 -- We flew from Seattle to Daytona Beach on 9/16. I took my mother on the Summit cruise (donating to the Red Cross to be able to join that Cruise to suport the Red Cross). We flew to Fort Lauderdale from Jacksonville -- which we could have driven, but chose to support the airlines. And today my husband and I booked a 3 night cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas in November and a week cruise in January on the Rhapsody from Tampa.

I could go on and on and tell you that my 1 hour drive each way to and from work, on the dreaded I-95, is more dangerous than traveling, but that wouldn't help you! So, my suggestion, get out there and travel... laugh... love... and dance!!!!

PS -- My husband is in the Coast Guard... and although we know all that can go wrong... we are confident that we will be safe, because we can't live our lives afraid of what might happen.
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just booked the Voyager for the first week in Nov. because of a great price. So, obviously we're not too worried.

On the other hand, the Voyager is one of the two greatest, largest cruise ships on the planet... well... it has to represent the equivalent for recreation as the Trade Center did for commerce...which at the least makes it a hated vessel, and evil in the minds of the extremists.

However, terrorism, by definition, affects the greatest numbers of people not by the acts themselves but by the psychological after-effect. So, your chances of being affected by a direct terrorist action are limited.

I plan on 'sinning' (gambling, drinking, watching shows, socializing with women who aren't hooded), and doing so is made possible by a career and life I owe to Capitalism and Western philosophy. And I'll be thankful I'm not in Kabul instead.

Go and have a great time!
Old October 18th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Amen Bro. Have a great time and remember that "the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"...FDR.
Michael