Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:27 PM
JessiAngel

Default First time cruisers

Help! I am so confused. Been on the internet for a week now. We are looking to book a cruise in mid-june for the Bahamas. I checked Carnival and RCL. I like what I see with RCL but I've heard from friends that Carnival is the way to go because of better foods, bigger cabins, more to do. Could anyone give me feedback? The boat we are looking at is the Majesty. Anyone cruised on that boat? Also on formal night I have been reading that men can wear tuxes. Do the ladies and girls wear formal gowns also (we have a 12 year old who is counting the days now). Any help would be great! I'm driving my husband nuts hogging the internet lately. lol.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM
JessiAngel

Default Re: First time cruisers

We are also celebrating our 15 year anniversary during the cruise so I am trying to make it as special as possible. Thanks again for any tips!
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Food quality on ships is an opinion based upon the individual's tastes. It can even vary from terrible to fantastic on the same ship.

The fact is Carnival's rooms are bigger.

Some men will wear tuxes on formal night, some will wear a dark suit, and a few will wear just country club casual. Some women will be in ball gowns, some in dress suits, some in pants suits.

You have picked the right place to be to get answers to your questions. This web site has many experienced cruisers who are always willing to help. You might want to check out the First Time Cruisers board under the People category.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:13 AM
natross1

I am going on my first cruise this weekend on RCCL (Explorer of the Seas), and I have tons of friends who cruise often and have cruised many lines and swear that RCCL is much better than Carnival. I have heard that Carnival attracts a lot of spring breakers, young adults (college age kids) and on royal carrib, you see more families and couples. and have heard RCCL has much more to offer. I have heard that Carnival does have bigger rooms, but that was least important to us, as we like to keep busy on the ship and only plan to be in our room to sleep

Just thought I would share what I have heard. Good luck deciding!

Natalie
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: First time cruisers

Jessi, I sailed on Sovereign out of Port Canaveral and Sovereign is the same type of ship as Majesty but with a reversed itinerary. I think if you're celebrating an anniversary, you would find Royal Caribbean more suitable. I've never sailed on Carnival but I have heard way too many horror stories about the ships....especially the plumbing problems. The food on Royal was great and readily available, and the entertainment was very good too. As far as shore excursions, I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the jet ski tour on Cococay, their private island. Your 12y/o will love it! They also have snorkeling real close to shore, an inflatable play area, and lots and lots of lounge chairs and hammocks under palm trees in the shade!
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Martie
Default Re: Re: Re: First time cruisers

We're sailing in March on Sovereign. Thanks so much for your input. Doesn't seem to be many people that sail the Sovereign. We've thought maybe we're going to be on a ghost ship. This is our first cruise. Thanks again for the info. Any additional you may have would be wonderful.

Sovereign of the Seas

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
JessiAngel

Thanks for all the great advice. I think we will stick with the Majesty. Now to just sit back and wait. . . the hardest part!
Old January 13th, 2004, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

My wife an I have been on 3 cruises.
first was 3 day Sovereign of the Seas. it was all we had wanted it to be and more!
next was a 4 day Carnival cruise................ the room was bigger, the rest was a disapointment!
last was a disney 4 day with our 6 year old girl! it was just as good as the first but different!
we now have booked a cruise with a 4 day soverign!
i would go with royal any time in the future!
have fun!
Old January 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: First time cruisers

Hi Martie

We got back yesterday from a 4 day cruise on the Sovereign. She's definitely not a ghost ship as our cruise was fully booked. Have been on her twice and she's one of my favorite ships. (Oldest one in RCI's fleet) but has a character of her own and the crew is in my opinion one of the best in the fleet. If you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

Have a great cruise!

Carl