Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alcohol smuggling

At least I'm honest.

In San Juan, there was a duty free shop inside of the security checkpoint. So, we were able to buy and take onboard whatever we wanted since there was no check at the gangway. This seems a little odd since they checked us at every port we went to after sailing, and they were taking things from people at the San Juan checkpoint, only to watch them buy more stuff and carry it on 100 feet beyond.

I'm going on the Voyager 11/4, obviously there will be no duty free shop in Miami. And, it seems they're now checking this sort of thing pretty good at the carry on x-ray stations. What are the other options? Can I put a few cans in my checked luggage with any luck?

Now, disclaimer-I buy drinks at the bars onboard like everyone else, but also like to have something on hand to enjoy in the cabin without paying the 'tax' for onboard consumption from the onboard shop. Are these all fairly new policies for alcohol onboard? I don't remember them a couple years ago.
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alcohol smuggling

Okay, so there was a big thread about all this. I just read it. Sorry.

However, I still welcome any recent updates, and comments on the enormous loophole at the San Juan pier with the duty free shop. I hope that helps someone.

Thanks,
Brian
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Admiral

The duty free shops up on the second floor of the piers in San Juan offer some really remarkable prices on most alcohol... certainly remarkable outside of the U.S. Virgin Islands. If you are intent on bringing alcohol on board, they are as good a place as any to buy it, so I would not "look a gift horse in the mouth". Enjoy!

Ernie
Old October 18th, 2001, 08:45 PM
sealady

how sad that a bottle of booze is contriband...for years, they should have been checking what and who was coming on board... if they are now doing what they were pretending to do all these years in the name of security, they shouldn't be harassing a passenger who brings a bottle of booze onboard.. who are they trying to scare off????????
Old October 19th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Lady Jag

Definitely put whatever you desire in your checked luggage. We put a plastic, unopened bottle of Vodka in our luggage. Since we changed our seats to first class on the day of departure, they opened every one of our bags at the airport. They saw that the Vodka was unopened and kept searching. There wasn't a problem at all with it. Just pack clothes around your drinks. We've had 2 bottles of wine break before and it ruined lots of clothing.