Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alcohol smuggling

What's the policy in bring Alcohol on board ? I suspect you can not ! If that's the case, do many people sneak it on board ? What's the best approach to do so ..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alcohol smuggling

I want to know also
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:26 AM
ciely

It is easy to get your own personal supply of alcohol into your cabin. Just pack it in your checked baggage. Use bubble wrap or put it into ziploc plastic bags to avoid any leaks.It is always nice to enjoy night cap on the balconey or a pre-dinner drink.
To Roland, how was your snippy reply any help in answering this person"s question??
Old November 9th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Captain

Al: I had an old post on this board about this. My attitude is that you should be able to bring on what you want (of a legal and non-terrorist nature). Some agreed and some shouted at me.But here's the story, as best as I can tell. Before 08/20/01 on RCI, you could bring it on in your suitcase, bring it on from port, or buy it duty free at the ship's store for onboard consumption (as we did on our Jan. '01 Grandeur cruise). On 08/20/01 RCI changed its official policy to "can't bring onboard, but can buy from the ship"s store for a $9.50 per bottle upcharge." Read this at RCI's web site under Customer service, FAQ.Some reported getting it on at embarkation in luggage anyway. But not so easy at the ports.Then, on 11/01/01, I was told By RCI via email that the policy had changed again, that you couldn't buy at the ship's store for on-board consumption, and you couldn't even carry on soft drinks or bottled water (though RCI's web site didn't change). Cruisers still report carrying on all these things at embarkation. RCI's pres. had been scheduled for a chat on this site 11/05/01, but had to cancell. Would have liked a clarification from him. Absent that, looks like we'll just have to wait for reports from cruisers who embarked after 11/01/01 to see what is going on. Other han this issue, we had always liked RCI in the past. One reason was that then you COULD bring on these items without hassle, to keep your ship's tab within reason, and have a coke or a drink without having to go 1/4 mile to find a bar. Hope we all get a clear answer someday. And hope the "old RCI" will return.
Old November 10th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Captain

Default Re: Alcohol on RCI, update

Al, in all fairness to RCI, I must tell you that I received yet another email from them yesterday stating that liquor for onboard consumption could still be bought in the ship's store for "retail prices", about $9.50 per liter higher than duty free. This is in conflict with what I was told a week ago, so I don't know what to make of it. I have also been told that you can get a "soft drink card" on RCI for $33 for a 7 day cruise. If that included soft drinks carried to your cabin, the "drinks in room" problem might be solveable. (Keep in mind that I have also been told that you can't get drinks or beer via room service, at any price.) I am not merely asking theoretical questions to RCI, as I am shopping for an Alaska 2002 cruise and want to consider all restrictions and perks of competing lines. So, I'll probably ask RCI for more clarification before I plunk down any money, even though we are repeat RCI cruisers (before their policy began changing). If you are short on time, I would ask a GOOD TA with higher level RCI contacts for help and advice. If you don't know one, email me and I will refer you to one. Again, other than this fairly new issue, RCI has always given us a great cruise for the price.
Old November 10th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Babe,
I've never had problems ordering drinks to the cabin for cocktail parties or whatever.
We were just on Explorer last month... and at one time asked about getting a bunch of BBCs delivered to the cabin from one of the bars.. answer.. no problem mon.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 10th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Captain

To Kuki: That's good. I have had email and seen posts to the contrary. Do you have any info about the $33 soft drink card (for 7 day cruise) and whether one can still buy liquor for one's cabin on the ship's store for "retail" non-duty free prices?
Old November 19th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alcohol on RCI, update (soft drink card)

If I recall, they now have a 12 drink $29 soft drink card or $39 for alocholic drinks (domestic beer, call brand mixed drinks.) The $39 card isn't bad I guess, depending on what you drink. I think a domestic beer is only $2.75 so you might lose out on that.