Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2001, 08:08 PM
SHARON BEADLE

Default It's my balcony & I'll do what I want on it.

It's my balcony & I'll do what I want on it
That seems to be the motto of most cruisers. Last year we sailed on an eleven day cruise. We paid a lot of hard earned, hard saved money for a balcony cabin(Cat B Grandeur of the Seas). The reason a person puts out those extra bucks for that balcony is the privilidge of being able to escape the crowds, to be able to sit & smell the ocean air & listen to the waves, in relative peace & quiet. Last year every afternoon the guy next door would sit on his balcony all afternoon & smoke cigars & listen to his music on his boom box he brought with him. Now his music was not all that loud, but it wasn't music that I wanted to listen to. I did not want to listen to any music. That is why I was sitting on my own balcony instead of up on deck. The cruise line plainly states that a person should use headphones to listen to their music that they have brought with them. As to the smoking on the balcony issue. I understand that a person pays for their space & that they think they should have the right to do what they want in it or on it. They say that the wind blows the smoke away. Yeah it does right down the lines of balconies behind them. Cigarettes are bad enough, but cigars. Do I have the right to set off a stink bomb on my balcony everyday. Maybe the smell doesn't bother me. & the wind would eventually carry the smell away & I paid for the space didn't I? The heck with what bothers other people. If they don't like it they can just go inside until I get tired of setting off my stink bomb. After all, I paid for my space. (By the way, That cigar or cigarette smells like a stink bomb to me). That guy with his the hell with everybody else attitude turned what could have been
an extra special cruise, into a time where my afternoons were filled with feelings of resentment. I guess people will say "why didn't you say something to him"? Why should I have to have a confrontation with someone, when all it would take is consideration for other people. Or maybe he just thought everyone liked his music & loved the smell of his lousy stinking cigars.
Sharon
I am aware of all negative posts that this is going to generate, but I have a right to my opinion on this.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: It's my balcony & I'll do what I want on i

Hi Sharon,
While I can certainly understand you wanted piece and quiet out there on your balcony, the next cabin neighbor probibly had the same idea, "its my balcony & I'll do what I want", too. If that should ever happen again, try talking to him and I'm sure you will be able to work out some agreement that would make everyone happy. We too once had 2 couples in the suite next cabin and they played their music blasting and were throwing cigarette buts overboard, which is also a NO-NO, so I know how you must of felt.

Hope your next cruise is better :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 9th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Admiral

"I'll do what I want on my balcony... it seems to be the motto of most cruisers". I can understand your unhappiness with your neighbor... but I think it is a stretch to turn this clearly anecdotal experience into so broad a generalization. After long experience with balcony staterooms, I can say that I cannot recall a single instance of being disturbed by a neighbor. I would think, by and large, that those able or willing to spend the extra dollars to book a balcony cabin would be from a more considerate "class" (if you will). We get annoyed at some loud, underdressed boors in the dining room or other public areas on ships from time to time. It happens. I just wouldn't paint with so broad a brush.
Old November 9th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Sebastian & Hank

I completely understand about your space and your music: however, you are at sea. I got the feeling this guy was down-wind your balcony. In that case, I would have filled up a shot glass with my least favorite beverage and offered him a drink via sea-mail. If he caught it, good for him. If he didn't, OH WELL. At that point, I would think he has the message. If he still continues to annoy you, go over to his cabin and offer to have 3 way (but specify it's with you, the Captain and Ahmed from Deck 9. He'll shutup then; I guarantee it.
Old November 10th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

This sounds a bit like .. what I want to do on my balcony is more important than what you want to do on your balcony....
Sounds like a situation that could have used the unheard of term .. compromise. It likely could have been resolved with a friendly converstion about the volume of the music. If not, then a call to the Purser's desk would have been in order.
Both better options than letting it adversely affect your cruise.. and your psyche!

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 10th, 2001, 01:32 PM
SHARON BEADLE

kuki
It is not at all that what I want on my balcony is more important than what another person wants on his balcony. I don't care what a person listens to on their balcony, just have the courtesy to use headphones. It is not a point at all of whos rights are more important. It is a matter of consideration for other peoples rights. I would never presume to play music on my balcony when I knew my neighbors were sitting on their balconies, relaxing, reading a book or just napping. If I wanted to listen to music I would be glad to put on my headphones so as not to disturb any one else. Is that such a hard concept for people these days. CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS, Is that so difficult. That is why we have so many uncourteous youth. They are following the example of their parents who have an "the hell with what anyone else thinks attitude". Now I know everyone is not that way. I have had many great balcony neighbors. And I know & run into many wonderful people & children. It is just a shame that more & more the old values are giving way.
And yes I should have said something to my balcony neighbor instead of letting it get under my skin.
Old November 10th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Admiral

thats a ridiculous way to handle this matter
Old November 10th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Sharon..
I agree with u 100% on the issue of the loud music. Consideration would have been in order.. no question! No different if it was blaring in their cabin, or on the balcony.
And if you would have leaned over and said hello and discussed it, I would guess you could have reached a compromise. That's what I was trying to get at.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 10th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Admiral

money equals class??????????
Old November 10th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Admiral

I agree Kuki. Some people don't realize they are doing something to irratate you unless you talk to them. Even "cigar man" gets the "benefit of the doubt".
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Gosh I guess that leaves out having a wonderful glorious passionate night of sex on the balcony out of the question huh?
Old November 11th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Kat wrote:
>
> Gosh I guess that leaves out having a wonderful glorious
> passionate night of sex on the balcony out of the question huh?

Kat.. not at all.. just don't light up afterwards, or during for that matter..

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 11th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Captain

Re: cigar smell from next door balcony. I think NCL has it right on this problem. One whole side of the ship is non-smoking.
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Babe Ruth wrote:
>
> Re: cigar smell from next door balcony. I think NCL has it
> right on this problem. One whole side of the ship is
> non-smoking.
Babe.. NCL used to.. they havent had that stipulation for quite some time. Now it's the same... up to the passenger.
Actually, even though I'm a smoker, I havent figured out why the cruise lines cant designate some floors non smoking, as well as at least one lounge, besides the dining room and the show room.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 11th, 2001, 10:13 PM
cruzb4

I agree with what Sharon is saying and I would hope that evertbody that pays for any room deserves a certain amount of respect from the cruisers next to them.But I think I missed something, this happened last year (so 11 months to a year or more ago) so why did this come up now.Just wondering.
Old November 14th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I feel the same way as you do Sharon, that is why we always request the front (first) balcony unit on our deck, most of the time, smoke will be blown to the back of the ship. The Cruise lines have been very cooerative in helping us out!
Laura
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:55 PM
First Mate

For starters, I do not smoke, but It seems that most of you are more worried about what other people are doing, and less worried about enjoying yourself. I highly doubt the little bit of cigar smoke that made its way to your cabin was so unbearable! You people need to lighten up, and enjoy your vacation. Quit bickering!
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sarah Send a message via MSN to Sarah Send a message via Yahoo to Sarah

I agree with Steve!