Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default a beach in key west

will be on Majesty 12/24to 12/28. Does anybody know of a decent beach in Key West to go to. have been there three times and still can't find a beach. I had heard one of the hotels had one, or perhaps there is a public one. We will have big group of kids with us and last time going to buy schlocky souveners and visiting bars did not cut it . Thanks to all of you for your assistance and HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: a beach in key west

Same here. The only beach I found was at the end of Duval Street one block from the Closest point to Cuba. It was terrible; derelicks sleeping on the beach and not a nice beach for anyone. Have you contacted the area Chamber of Commerce or tourist board? Have you done a historical walking tour including a climb up the Lighthouse? Key West is very historical including the Summer Whitehouse of a past president, Hemingway's House, Museum, Conch Train. There is also a Dolphin Encounter run by the US Navy. Good Luck.
Old December 20th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, thank you for the info. This group has been there three times seen what was non beach , we all hate sightseeing and couldnt give a rats behind about historical stuff. ( and we were history majors and are played out on historical sites) I will try the tourist board, great idea Have a happy and healthy holiday
Old December 20th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jc

Go to the dry tortugas. There is a fast catamaran in Key West that will take you to the tortugas for the day. It will be important to check the departure schedule of your ship as this is about an 8 hour trip. It is great. It is a fast diesel powered cat that is wide it runs about 30 knots and the ride out is fascinating. At the Dry Tortugas is the historic Fort Jefferson. This is a pre civil war fort about 70 to 80 miles west of Key West. It is a very cool excursion. They have a marvelous beach and snorkeling spot very nice sand. They provide drinks and lunch. A tour of the fort which is a national park and then you can spend a couple of hours on your private island beach. If you have done the key west Duvall street scene this is a great change. I love Key West, but I would imagine that if you are not interested in people watching or bars with kids this would be the complete opposite of that experience.

I don't remember the cost of this... it has been about 3 years since we did this, but it is no worse than the regular excursions. I am sure if you did a search for key west and fort Jefferson you would hit this option. There are other ships that go there, but this is the only one that I know of that should be able to do it in the time frame that a cruise ship is in port.

jc
Old December 20th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Apiarist

Default Re: a beach in key west -- DRY Tortugas

IIRC, there's a good reason they're called the Dry Tortugas. There is no [underline NO] water. If you think you might need more than the tour provides, better schlep it yourself.
Old December 20th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Tjukka

Key West is not know for it's beaches. My family still all lives in Key West it is more of a party city.You can try Smathers Beach I haven't swam their in years but they were redoing the beach,you will need a Taxi to get there or you can go to the county beach this beach it has children's play ground too it is next to the Casa Marina Hotel. But swim on the Atlantic side of the island there is not as much current in the water and safer to swim.
Tj