Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2001, 02:13 PM
Ernie

Default Aft facing Cat D cabins on SPLENDOUR

I just booked cabin 7630 on the 6/9/2002 SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS sailing in Europe. This is one the aft facing category D cabins with a balcony.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with these cabins? Here are my questions:

1. Is the balcony actually larger than the side facing category D cabins?

2. Is the cabin any smaller than the other category D cabins....it looks slightly smaller on the deck plan?

3. How bad is the vibration onboard SPLENDOUR?

4. Is there a bathtub or just a shower?

5. Do the cabins just above on Bridge deck look directly down onto the Commodore Deck cabins, or is all or part of the balcony private?

Also, if anyone has any overall impressions of SPLENDOUR, they are most welcome.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with these questions.

Best regards,
Ernie Roller
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
Pooh Bear

Default Re: Aft facing Cat D cabins on SPLENDOUR

Ernie:

We sailed on Splendor in May of 2000 - a 12 day Medit. cruise. We sailed the year before on her sister, Legend, on the 7 day Medit.

My husband thought that the Legend was better maintainted then the Splendor. Thought the wood railings were looking worn and he noticed some other things that caused him to have that opinion. Personally, I thought she was beautiful! But, then, I'd think a wash tub in the middle of the Atlantic was beautiful if I was booked on it!

Having said that:

We both loved BOTH of these ships and don't regret either choice! We would gladly sail both ships again. Sorry I can't help you with the cabin situation. In 4 sailings in the Medit. we have never booked anything other than an inside cabin, mainly because these cruises are so extremely shore excursion intense that we spend very little time in the cabin. Also, if you have not done the Medit. before, you might want to consider booking late seating at dinner. From experience, many of the shore excursions we took (both private and thru cruise lines) got us back to the ship late in the afternoon. By booking the late seating, we had plenty of time to enjoy a leasurely drink on deck and the chance to unwind before having to start dressing for dinner.

We were booked for another 12 day Medit. May 12, 2002 (with 3 days in Barcelona - LOVE Barcelona!) on Celebrity's Millie until Celebrity canceled that itinerary after 9/11. Still trying to decide what to do.

Enjoy your cruise on the Splendor - and the Medit.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old December 22nd, 2001, 02:58 PM
Ernie

Pooh Bear,
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. I'm so glad you enjoyed both LEGEND and SPLENDOUR. I know they are not the newest, but I think they are a pretty good size, especially for cruising Europe.

I too was hoping to cruise Celebrity in Europe for 2002, but as you know, the choices are pretty limited. Most cruise lines have pulled their ships out of Europe for 2002. This, combined with a limited time schedule on my part really narrowed down our choices. I've enjoyed RCI in the past, having sailed on VOYAGER, RADIANCE and VIKING SERENADE, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well. I sailed in Europe on GOLDEN PRINCESS this year, but wanted to try something different (I like RCI better than Princess actually).

Hope I made the right decision with the aft facing cabin. I can always change it if I find that's not the case.

Thanks again,
Ernie
Old December 24th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Hucc

I had an aft facing cabin on the NCL Sky, and LOVED it! balcony was a little bigger, and the views --- you don't get them on side balconies.
Also, in the caribbean, there's not much water movement anyway (unless there's a hurricane).

You may very well be convered to AFT balcony cabins for all your trips after trying it out.