Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Seatravelers

Default Radiance food options

We will be sailing on Radiance in March. Will someone who has been aboard, and eaten at Portofino and Chops, tell me about the food? We have eaten at Portofino on Explorer and Adventure and thought the whole experience was great. Any reports from Radiance would be appreciated. Also, what is the Seaview Grill?
Thanks for the info.
Seatravelers
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Lady Jag

Default Re: Radiance food options

The Seaview Grille is in the very aft part of the ship by the waterslide and the basketball court. They have: clam chowder in bread bowls, really good chili, to-die-for brownies, salads of all sorts, hot dogs, french fries, chips and cheese, a bar and inside & outside seating. They are open late, usually when the Windjammer isn't open. If you happen to go there when they've made fresh, home-made tortilla chips, you've got to try them. My stomach is growling just thinking of them!

We ate at Portofino's. The service was impeccable and the food very good, according to my husband. I would have been happier eating at the Seaview Cafe instead. (Sorry - I just don't like fine food that much.) The wine was pricey for the quality. There is the usual $20 per person fee and there is a blank on the receipt to add in a tip. It is stated everywhere that the tip is included, but it is obvious that an additional tip is expected, as you've probably noticed on the Explorer & Adventurer. The service was so good, that it was warranted in our case.

I didn't expect to like the Radiance as much as I did. I was used to larger ships and thought it would be too small. It was absolutely perfect in every possible way. The crew were the most enthusiastic, energetic, accommodating crew I have ever encountered. The glass elevators are really neat, but they tend to get WAY too crowded at times.

The only drawback of the ship is the fact that there isn't a staircase or elevators in the back of the ship. We had a suite, #1100 in the very aft corner, and it was a long walk to the atrium elevators. If you have a more mid-ship cabin, you'll be fine. I would cruise the Radiance again in a heartbeat!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Did you travel with teens? We are going on 3/23 with a 15 & 17 year old and was wondering how many would be aboard and what activities they had for them. This will be their 4th cruise. Also, what did you do in Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia. Thanks for any info.
Old January 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Passenger

The Radiance has plenty of activities for teens: rock climbing wall, sports deck with basketball and minature golf, a teen disco, a movie theater, arcade (I think), billiards tables open for teens usu. from noon-1:30, a waterslide, etc.

I am sure that week will be full of kids being it is the week prior to Easter. Your kids should have a good time!
Old January 5th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Lady Jag

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Karen. I had major computer problems! Bought a new laptop and now I'm online again. (yeah!)

I would expect that you will have many kids in that age range on your cruise because it is Spring Break during that time. I think the So. Caribbean generally gets less kids than the Eastern/Western itineraries, but since you are going at the end of March, there should be plenty of them to keep your kids busy.

We took the Radiance to the Pac NW, so I can't answer your questions from past experience. We will be taking the Adventure in July, so maybe you'll be able to post when you return and answer some of MY questions!!

I can tell you what we PLAN to do though. In Antigua, we're still a little "up in the air". Not sure if we want to do the 3.5 hr. catamaran tour or the island tour. In Barbados, we're hiring a taxi van to take us to Harrison's Caves and then we're returning to the ship for lunch. Then we'll be off on the Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise. I've heard so many great things about this tour and it should be a lot of fun. In St. Lucia, we aren't quite sure what we want to do yet. All the tours are so long and go over such rough roads, that I'm not sure if my kids could handle all the curves without getting carsick. If you have any ideas, let me know!

Have a great cruise and let us know when you get back!