Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining Attire

Will be on Rhapsody 1/19......4 grown men that don't like to dress up....will khaki's and button down do with a tie on "formal" night?
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Dining Attire

Diane wrote:
>
> Will be on Rhapsody 1/19......4 grown men that don't like to
> dress up....will khaki's and button down do with a tie on
> "formal" night?

Well, they likely won't be tossed out of the dining room. But I do have to wonder why they'd book a cruise, knowing there's formal nights, where formal dress is required, if that didn't interest them?

Seems like NCL's Freestyle cruising would have matched their requirements better.

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:14 PM
First Mate

I would say no to your question. They won't be thrown out but they will look out of place. You might find me crazy but I go out of my way to buy suits for my 5 and 3 year olds. They do look might handsome.
Old January 15th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Admiral

guys,

If you really dont want to dress up you can go to the Windjammer cafe for dinner on the 2 formal nights. You can eat in there with a baseball cap and shorts if you want.
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:58 PM
harborman

Mike,
Good for you, nice to see someone still feels like I do.
Dress em up, it won't kill them and they may find out they like it.
And take those baseball caps off for all means at the table, did that with my kids and now the grandkids.
Old January 17th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Diane wrote:
>
> Will be on Rhapsody 1/19......4 grown men that don't like to
> dress up....will khaki's and button down do with a tie on
> "formal" night?

What you've suggested is certainly fine. Many people do wear suits on formal night, but I've never taken one but have still looked very nice and not felt out of place. I'm just personally more comfortable with a nice shirt/tie combo, and it is easier to pack. Wearing a coat here in FL doesn't work 9 months out of the year anyway so I'm not exactly used to it!
Old January 18th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Brian,

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but the fact that everybody dresses up for formal night is part of what sets the tone and the atmosphere for the evening. Kuki is absolutely right. Those who don't want to dress up for formal nights should have enough consideration for others, who are paying for the experience of a formal atmosphere, to go elsewhere. There are plenty of land-based resorts that don't hold formal nights, and there also are several cruise lines like that don't hold formal nights. Additionally, Norwegian Cruise Line now advertises "formal optional" evenings rather than strict formal nights.

Showing up on formal night in "khaki's and button down do with a tie on" is NOT fine when the cruise line issues clear guidelines indicating that formal attire is expected. Rather, such behavior is exceedingly gauche and inconsiderate at best and self-centered, pig-headed, and boorish at worst. Although many cruise lines have tolerated such behavior in the past rather than risk alientating the offender, it now appears that a crackdown is coming -- partly because people who put themselves and their wants above rules often pose a serious danger to others, but also because a lot of passengers have started to complain loudly as the incidents have become more pervasive and the attitudes behind them have become more arrogant. While nobody wants to offend anybody, no business can tolerate a customer who offends hundreds or even thousands of other customers at a time. Under such circumstances, the prudent business decision is to send the offender packing while there's still a business and to apologize to the customers alienated by the offender. We're seeing the "carrot" side that often precedes the stick side now, with several major cruise lines even arranging for rental of formalwear right aboard ship. You don't even have to pack it -- it's in your stateroom when you arrive, and you simply leave it there when you depart. What could be easier? The next step will be the stick to deal with those who don't respond to the carrot -- and that might not be so pleasant for those who refuse to conform.

Norm.
Old January 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Wow! I didn't know people take this kind of thing so seriously. But, it is good to know. I guess to be completely accurate we'd have to visit the wording. I think it says they "suggest" a dark suit for example. If this is true and I'm bothering someone in trendy slacks, shirt and tie w/no coat, then the offended person should stick to a cruise line that has a more aggressive wording, i.e. we "require" a dark suit. On such a cruise line, I would obviously have to pack differently or dine differently! That is really the bottom line.

Off the record, thinking out loud, part of this could be generational. I'm in my 20's and have been part of the dot-com revolution for several years and have always worked business casual, etc. I've always impressed dates and company with my dress when going to nice events, etc. even though it may not adhere exactly to the traditional.

Happy Cruising
Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
Passenger

While we all wore formal attire on those nights, I have to say, I could care less what others are wearing!! If someone's trip has been ruined b/c someone wore khakis and a tie and coat to dinner, well, that's just incredibly sad!
Old January 28th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from Rhapsody; I have to say that we were VERY appropriately attired in khaki's, button-down's and ties!! No one "balked", and the matre de said we could wear whatever we were comfortable in. No one was offended, and Brian I agree: if anyone IS offended, they should stick to the cruises that REQUIRE formal attire. I can't believe how strongly people feel about attire........get a REAL life!!! We paid to eat the same food everyone else did! I counted maybe 3-4 tuxes on both nights. Everyone else was comfortably, and neatly dressed.