Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2002, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Default snorkelling question

is it possible to snorkle by just walking out into the water as opposed to taking a boat tour and getting off somewhere? we have never snorkeled before, and are not the greatest swimmers. we will be in aruba, curacao, st thomas and st marten. any suggestions about beaches where we can walk in and snorkle? thanks ( e mail me or post on board)
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: snorkelling question

Hi Debbie,
You can either take a ship excersion and I'd recommend that since this will be your first time. There are usually snorkeling tours that will take you over to St. JOhns/Trunk bay. Beautiful island and beach and you can walk right in and they even have a snoreling trail underwater which is marked with interesting information as to what you are seeing. I'd also suggest to snorkel with the life vest, I can swim good, but still like to snorkel with one on.

Hope you do try it, once you get the hang of how to breath, its so neat and you will be amazed as to all the sea life you will see,
have fun.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 4th, 2002, 05:00 PM
browezilla

Yes, on many islands you can snorkel from the beach and never get into water over your head.

Aruba - Nothing great here. Arashi beach is the best. I've heard at times Baby Beach is good, but it's always been cloudy when I've been there because of sand suspended in the water.
Curacao - Great Snorkelling. Search the web for Curacao tourism or chamber of commerce. They have a great package of snorkeling locations. Seaquarium and the Princess Hotel are good choices, but the entire south shore of the island is full of reefs.
St. Martin. I like Pinel Island (short little ferry to get there). Nice French beach with OK snorkeling.
St. Thomas: Coki, Saphire, and Secret Harbor are all good choices. On St. John, Honeymoon, Cinnamon, Maho, or Trunk. For weak swimmers, I'd recommend Coki or Secret Harbor for St Thomas, and Trunk for St John. Secret Harbor has more variety (fish, coral, fauna, iguanas :-), but Coki has more fish. Coki is TERRIFIC if you go to the left WAY WAY out, but don't do this unless you are a strong swimmer!
Old February 5th, 2002, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

you can snorkel anywhere all u need is equipment
Old February 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
First Mate

My husband can't snorkel because of eye problems, so we went on the SEESUB in Nassau on our EOS cruise. It was a good alternative for us. We saw hundreds of fish plus sharks and sting rays. Very enjoyable, as was the harbor tour we took to get to the SEESUB and back. It's like a 2 for 1 excursion.