Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default may 12 - enchantment questions (first cruise)

well, my wife and i finally took the plunge - we've booked our trip for the may 12, 2002 enchantment of the seas (eastern caribbean) cruise, and we're extremely excited! this message board and all of the online "reviews" have really helped as an introduction to the ship (and overall experience).

we have a few questions for all of you "cruising pros" out there:

1. we need to book a hotel room in fort lauderdale for the night before the cruise departs, and we'd ideally like a clean, affordable option that provides a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, as well as a shuttle from the hotel to the port. before you think "jeez...is there anything they DON'T want?" (which is an understandable response!), i did read one review about the amerisuites on 17th that provides these services, and the room is only $97 (with tax), so that's a great deal, but before we book it, we wanted to know if anyone else has other recommendations.

2. both of us will be 27 years old by the time our cruise rolls around (ONE of us is already 27 and the other is just 26 right now, but i'm not gonna rub that in, heh, heh). so here's the question: are we going to feel like toddlers compared to the other cruisers? it seems like there are so many conflicting "reports" out there regarding average age of cruisers, but i guess that depends on the time of year, cruise line, etc. since we'll be traveling in mid-may, maybe a few other people will be closer to our age. no big deal, but we just thought we'd check.

3. as far as we can tell, the average review of the food is "satisfactory," which we can definitely handle. it seems like the major complaints revolve around the lack of variety, but i could eat the same meal for dinner five days a week (seven would be pushing it), so that doesn't bother me. we honeymooned in aruba at an all-inclusive resort, and the food was good all week, but nothing spectacular. we had the same choices for breakfast each day (yogurt, fruit, pancakes, eggs), and that was fine. same thing with lunch and dinner. i guess this isn't a question, really, but feel free to comment if you'd like!

4. so, are we going to LOVE THIS CRUISE or what? (if you think that the answer is "no," please don't respond! we're too excited to consider anything other than a resounding YES!)

it seems like most people recommend the booking of excursions before the actual cruise, so we'll probably do that - we both want to swim with the stingrays in nassau, and we'll probably do one other excursion (maybe two).

ok, i've rambled too much, but thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your assistance. feel free to respond on this board or via e-mail to us: <kozinpgh@yahoo.com>.

thanks again!

jason
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: may 12 - enchantment questions (first cruise)

Hi Jason,
I think both you and your 27 year old wife will be extremely happy with this cruise, there will be all age groups, and plenty the same ages as your both are, and a few kids as well. Haven't done a pre-stay in Ft. Lauderdale, so hopefully someone else can give you ideas about hotels near by.

I would defintely book any shore excersions you really want to do on-line before you go, some are very popular and do fill up quickly, so thats a good idea. Once you do that, you will get the conformation with your cruise docs and the excersion tickets will be in your cabin when you arrive, very nice feature.

I do think you both will LOVE this cruise, don't worry, you are going with a lot of knowledge and doing your homework, it will pay off, enjoy!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 12th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Passenger

amerisuites is a good hotel chain...we've stayed at them before and they were very nice.
As for being young...My husband and I were 21 & 22 on our first cruise together and fit in just fine.
HAVE FUN!!!
and let me know how it went...we're going on the enchantment in Dec.!
Old February 25th, 2002, 04:50 PM
First Mate

1. The embassy suites is very nice and has all the amenities. My mom and dad got a room there for 50.00 on priceline.com. If you use priceline and you choose a 4 star hotel, majority of people have said (and i've found true) get booked at the embassy suites, or the marriot marina. Pick 4 stars, choose Ft. Lauderdale as your region, then enter your bid. If anyone accepts you'll be notifed within 20 minutes but they charge your credit card right away and it's non-transferable and non-refundable. It's worth a try if you know you HAVE to get a hotel room anyway.

2. I'm 27 and my husband is 31 and we just got back from the enchantment. We didn't not feel like toddlers, but i would say many of the people were just a little bit older. I'd give an average age of about 40ish. It's not bad though - cause everyone is acting young whether they are or not cause they are on vacation! If you like to drink - they push the drinks hard at the pool, but I must say they are VERY good.

3. Food was pretty good... we aren't picky. However, we were on princess before and their food was much better. They had something different every night (french, italian, american... ect) Pool food such as hamburgers and pizza was good too. The breakfast in the windjammer was decent too. It's not that it's bad, it just that (to ME anyway) not much variety compared to our last cruise. But if it's your first time you wont have anything to compare.

4. I'm sure you'll have a great time. We did!!! How can you not?!
Old March 7th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default thanks for your responses!

donna, maia, and kathy,

just wanted to thank you all for your responses to our questions. your answers really helped us out, and now my wife and i are even MORE excited to navigate the caribbean in may!

fyi, we ended up booking the amerisuites room - since they offer free shuttles from the airport and to the cruise port, we couldn't pass that up. anything that allows us to plan LESS is best!

we'll definitely try to book our excursions online - sounds easier to me, and nice to know that it will be taken care of before we even board.

and we're both happy to see that the age range is exactly that - a range of all ages.

thanks again, everyone! we greatly appreciate your help. eastern caribbean, here we come!

jason (and pam)