Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2002, 08:49 PM
sharon hawkes

Default first cruise

hi all, just booked first cruise on explorer for october. any help, suggestions would be appreciated to make this a great experience. thanks again !
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: first cruise

Hi Sharon,
Seems Explorer is a very poplar ship, we cruised on Explorer last year and so far our best cruise. The ship itself is awesome, almost no need to even get off :-) Tons of activities, and some great shows to catch, especially the ice show, don't miss that. My suggestion is to carefully read over the cruise compass you get every evening for the next day, decide what you want to do and plan your days around that. Its very easy to book excersions through the TV in your cabin and you can even book them on-line before you leave, great feature. I'd do that if there is something you really want to do, some do sell out quickly.

Food, entertainment and service were great, no complaints at all, the dinning room is just beautiful, had a lot of lunches in the Windjammer cafe and always a good, fresh selection daily.

There are quite a few Explorer reviews in the ship review section here, you may want to read through some of them:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/rci_mr.cfm#Explorer>

Happy Cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 24th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Mary Martin

Hi Sharon,
We cruised on the Explorer last March and, we are sailing her again in 6 short days. I can't wait. You are going to have the best time. The ice show as Donna says is a must see, it was incredible.
There is just so much to do. We played miniture golf, ate at Johnny Rockets (wonderful shakes by the way) Skipped the rock climbing wall (I don't do heights), but you might like to do that.
When you go to St. Thomas I suggest you take the ferry over to St. John, what a beautiful beach! The best website I have found that has alot of information and alot of pictuers are the following.
http://www.qwikfyx.com/explorer2 this one includes menus and copies of the daily compass which shows what the daily activities are. http://www.psp.club.tip.nl/ This one has many ship reviews you just have to scroll down and click on the Explorer.
These two will get you so excited you will be wishing you were cruising right now.
Have a great time,
Mary Martin
mmarti18@hotmail.com
Old February 26th, 2002, 09:40 AM
browezilla

...you'll be spoiled :-)

This class of ship is the best afloat for Mega-ships. You'll have a good time. A few good tips for first timers:
1) read the daily "activities page" the night before. They drop it off the night before, and it contains everything that is going on. Without it, you may miss a lot of good activities.
2) Book your excursions early to ensure you get what you want, or if you are adventurous, just use a Taxi.
3) Get out and tour the ship. There are so many small venues on the ship that you can always find something interesting going on.
4) See the Ice Show. It's the best show on the ship
5) This one seems odd, but trust me. Visit the restrooms beside the lyric theater (the main show theater). The side is all glass overlooking the ocean. The best ship restroom I've seen :-)
6) Take second seating dinner so you can watch the sailaways. I used to go main dining and missed sailing out of port. I've switched to late seating because I really enjoying watching as the ship (and other ships) sail out of port.

Enjoy your trip! I think you have to really try hard to not enjoy a cruise :-)
Old February 26th, 2002, 10:20 AM
First Mate

You will love the Explorer! Hubby and were first-timers last month. We let our TA choose and she did a great job. What a beautiful ship!! We loved everything--service, food, activities, shows (ice show is amazing), music, our cabin-you won't believe the towel "animals". We are planning to take Exp. next year to W. Carib. for another week of total pampering. We prefer the main seating for dinner because neither of us can sleep after eating that late. It's whatever you are used to and what you're comfortable with. We had wonderful dining companions(a British couple, a Canadian couple and an Amer. mother/daughter) that we are e-mailing regularly The Brits lost their cruise pics, so I sent them copies of mine and they thanked me with a gorgeous flower arrangement. It arrived last week on another gray Ohio day and really perked me up! I feel like we've been friends for years .(I just noticed it's snowing outside, but it's Tues., so my heart is in St. Thomas.) I just know you'll have a great time!!