Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Bryana

Default RCI or Princess

SHould I choose A Royal Carribbean Cruise (Nordic Empress) over a Pacific Princess cruise? Any help is good help. Late 20's couple. Looking for memories.
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: RCI or Princess

I think the 2 ships (the smallest and oldest ships for both cruise lines) would be comparable.

Out of curiosity - why are you not looking at any of the newer ships? I think you will find more activities/entertainment on the larger ships.
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Bryana

We chose this ship because a family member cruised Princess prior.
We are afraid to fly since Sept 11 and I used to frequently travel, sometimes twice a year. We live in NJ and figured it would be easy to disembark from NY. I cruised Carnival Sensation Years ago out of FLA, had a wonderful time... very crowded.
I keep hearing about the rough waters in the trans atlantic and how small the ship is? Is it that bad? I really want to travel again without fear... Love to be romantic... any suggestions would be appreciated!
Bryana
Old February 28th, 2002, 10:00 AM
browezilla

I prefer RCI to Princess. The entertainment is better, service is better, food is comparable, and I just feel like the RCI cruises are targeted for a younger crowd than Princess.

I've been on Nordic Empress (some years ago). I was a lovely ship, however the newer and bigger ships offer so much more. You will definitely feel the seas more in a smaller ship, but in normal weather it isn't bad at all.
Old February 28th, 2002, 11:15 AM
BillG

While Nordic Empress is older and smaller than many others in RCI's fleet, it is considerably newer, larger, and offers more emenities than the Pacific Princess. That is not to say you wouldn't have a wonderful time on the Princess ship, since service and food should match what you would find on their newer ships and the smaller size also means fewer passengers sharing the facilities with you. We only have one past Princess cruise to compare with our many Royal Caribbean cruises, but I would rate entertainment higher on RCI than on Princess, food slightly higher on Princess (my wife might disagree on that assessment proving that such opinions are highly subjective) and friendly service about the same. Rooms on both ships will be compact, but a few staterooms on Nordic Empress do offer balconies in case that is a consideration. Whichever you choose, have a great cruise to Bermuda. It is a special destination.
Old February 28th, 2002, 03:19 PM
First Mate

Haven't been on the smaller ships, but I was on the Grand Princess last year at this time and just got back a week ago from being on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas.

Honestly, I preferred Princess over RCI. On RCI the service, shows, and food were not nearly as good. They weren't BAD, but my husband and I (ages 27 and 31) agreed 100% that Princess was better.

We were with 12 other friends on RCI and it was their first cruise - and they thought everything was wonderful. So I'm sure either way you'd have a great time.
Old February 28th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on the Nordic Empress and it is a beautiful ship. The food was great and the entertainment was good. If you can, I would go for the balcony cabin. It gives you the feeling of a little more space.
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:10 AM
gann

Have you thought about taking the Zenith. I guess it will start leaving from NYC again this summer. We took it and were real pleased with the cruise.
Old March 26th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Nick

RCL is way better! I just got back from the Voyager and i prefer that over the Grand Princess. There is so much to to and everything is great.