Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2002, 02:06 PM
lindabeatrice

Default Should I be nervous about sailing from San Juan on the Adven

I am contemplating a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan in July. the Southern Caribbean is the only area in the Caribbean I haven't been to. Is it worth the extra expense on airfare? Have been reading negative comments about boarding procedures. Should I let the cruise line take care of everything or should I attempt booking air and hotel and cabs myself? Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Should I be nervous about sailing from San Juan on the A

Hi Linda,
I wouldn't be nervous about cruising from San Juan, in fact those are my favorite itinaries, lots more islands to see, some good shopping, etc. It also doesn't hurt to check on air and hotels yourself and at the same time see what your travel agent can do, sometimes you can do it cheaper on your own, other times not, so do check that out. Both my husband and myself were very pleased with our Explorer cruise last year, would go again in a minute, have fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 16th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Seatravelers

I agree with Donna. Don't be nervous about San Juan. We returned last Saturday from San Juan after a week on the Radiance. In December we went on the Adventure, also out of San Juan. The biggest problem was related to air travel. Since 9/11 the cruise lines have also had to adopt new embarkation and debarkation procedures, causing more hassels with luggage, etc. You would probably have similar experiences in Miami, or other ports. We decided to book the air separate from the cruise, so we took cabs in San Juan. We didn't have any problems, just had to be patient, as we waited 1.5 hours for our luggage to arrive from the plane in San Juan. Go ahead and enjoy your cruise and don't be afraid to go to San Juan. After you get on the Adventure and begin sailing for Aruba, you'll be glad you went and the hassels will be worth it.
Seatravelers....
Old March 16th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Tara P

Default Re: Re: Should I be nervous about sailing from San Juan on t

How did you arrange for your luggage to be sent directly to the ship if you booked your airfare separate? We are booking our airfare separate and this would be very helpful. Thanks
Old March 18th, 2002, 10:05 AM
browezilla

...you just take it with you to the ship. When you get to San Juan, claim your luggage and take a cab to the pier. They drop you off right at the terminal. Be sure to tell them which ship as San Juan has 2 ports, one on each side of the bay. It's about $17 from what I recall. Not a bad deal.
Old March 27th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Bobbie(Lady Jag)

We're sailing in July on the AOS and I just wanted to thank those of you that had positive comments about sailing out of SJU. We're hoping it's a good experience, especially since RCI is charged well over double what Carnival is charging for the Destiny. Maybe all those discounted cruise fares will be on the Destiny and not the AOS?