Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to shanden
Default Help!!! I need information on Buddy Passes

Hello, My son dad works for an Airline and he flyes free. He will get me a buddy Pass. How do this work and should I fly in a day early. We sail on Aug.1-5...Monarch of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale...

Help,
Shanden
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Help!!! I need information on Buddy Passes

Hi Shanden,
If at all possible, its always a good idea to fly in a day early, much less hassle than flying in the day of the cruise. Not sure how the buddie ticket works because I don't have anyone in my family that works for an airline, but I think when using those you may have to go stand-by, so best check into that. Thats wonderful that your son can use it, sure saves on the airfare, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try to fly in a day early because any problems with the aircraft, or you getting on-board the aircraft might delay you from getting on-board the vessel. Flying a day early also gives you a chance to explore Fort Lauderdale and other surrounding cities. Also some hotels offer check-in service for your cruise, at the hotel. Which is a giagantic plus, because you won't have to wait in line!!

Old April 3rd, 2002, 07:51 PM
kerstin

You need to watch out for the buddy passes. I worked for an airline for 13 years and going standby nowadays is very difficult. You go standby after all standby passengers and then standby after all airline employees if you are travelling without the employee. You usually pay 10pct of a full coach fare. I just found a tkt on an airline to Orlando for $125 (including all taxes) space positive for travel this summer. (from Greensboro) That is direct from the airlines website. So look to see if you can buy a confirmed ticket. Believe you me, sometimes it's not worth the hassel. But, whatever you do, definately go the day before.
Old April 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yep, you definitely have to go a day early, possibly 2. I am from an airline family, 3 pilots one flight attendant and one management type. Honestly with the deals out there right now you are more than likely better off buying yourself a regular ticket. I did. I can fly standby anytime anywhere and my fiance and I bought tickets for our upcoming honeymoon cruise in May. On the flip side, if you are travel during a quiet travel time you could have no problems at all. If you travel on a buddy pass be prepared for a few things. Normally there is a dress code required for buddy pass travelers, you will get on the plane last (assuming you get on @ all), if a paying passenger shows up after you have boarded and there are no more seats the airline will make you get off the airplane to let the paying passenger on. You MUST be VERY patient. It is normal to not even know if you are getting on the flight til the very last minute. IF you have extra time, money (for hotels and meals if you get stuck somewhere overnight) and LOTS of patience go ahead. BUT just understand that you may not get to where you want to be WHEN you want to be there. I would check out the time you are planning to travel. If the flights look empty you should have no problem. In the end it's a lot less hassle to buy a ticket, especially right now with such discounted fares. Good Luck!!!!! PS: I didnt mean to sound so negative, I have traveled this way a lot and just wanted to pass on what I know.