Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Explorer Cabin Classes? Help!

We've taken a few Carnival cruises, and tried Celebrity once because of the itinerary. I've always wanted to cruise with Royal Caribbean. My hubby has agreed to book an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas or the Voyager of the Seas in August but has warned me to keep the costs down since this will be our second cruise this year (he got to pick the first one on Carnival's Pride, since he wanted to go to Belize). We book 2 cabins, since we travel with 3 kids.

On Carnival the cabins are all pretty much the same except for interior or exterior/ balcony or ocean view window. RCI offers so many choices, I'm totally confused.

Is there a major difference between a Superior Ocean View Stateroom (categories D1, D9, D8, D7 and D6) and the Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom (Category DA, DB)? What about the Ocean View Staterooms -- is there a difference between Categories F, H and I? What is the difference between inside staterooms M, N, O, P and Q -- is it simply a question of location, or are the rooms actually different? As far as I can tell without calling a TA yet, it looks like there's about a $200 price difference per cabin between the lower end Superior cabins and the Deluxe cabins, and another $200 price difference per cabin to the Ocean view or the Promenade.

I'd like to try to book cabins as soon as possible, but right now I don't have a clue what to ask for as our 1st and 2nd choices. Please help me out!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Explorer Cabin Classes? Help!

Hi Sharon,
We had a D7 on Explorer and as far as I could tell between the different catagories, was the location, I believe those cabins are all the same in size, just where they are on the ship? Best bet for you is to decide where on the ship you want to be and go from there. I also absolutely loved that cabin, very well laid out and lots of storage space, the suitcases did fit under the bed nicely.

You can also go to http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/info/menus/ and get into the "cruise" section, then the 360 tour and see what these cabins look like.

I'm sure you will all love Explorer or Voyager, great ships, would go again in a second, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:45 PM
First Mate

We are going on the Explorer in August. The best site that I have found to learn about the cabins is www.travelocity.com. You can click on the cabin in the diagram and it will give you the dimensions. Here are the basics - D1-D6 are 180 square feet with a 50 square foot balcony while the DA&DB are 173 square feet with a 47 square foot balcony. We have booked a DA - there are just the 2 of us so we don't need that much room. The Oceanviews are 180 square feet, the Inside Deluxe are 167 square feet and the Inside Staterooms are 160. Good luck and let me know if you end up on our cruise!! We leave 8/24!
Old May 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
First Mate

Hi Sharon
Here is an adress of a site that lets you compare cabin sizes between cruise lines.
I'm not sure if I have this link set up right . I sailed Explorer last April & it is my FAVORITE ship. I'm sure you'll love either ship
George

http://www.cruisestateroom.com/84793...hips-frame.htm
Old May 6th, 2002, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Each of you have given us wonderful advice (the web links and t-shirt advice are great -- in packing "outfits," I probably wouldn't have thought about the boys playing basketball all day. Phew. . .)! Thank you all! We're starting to get prices now! It's always exciting to try a new cruiseline, and I've heard so many good things about Royal Caribbean.
Old May 12th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Connie Murphy

Default Re: Re: Explorer Cabin Classes? Help!

We are going on the Explorer for the first time June 1. We are taking our kids 17 & 10. We cruised with them once before and got adjoining cabins. That was wonderful. We could have some privacy, but they were still right there. Having two bathrooms really made it worth while. On the Explorer we booked the Atrium cabins. (Adjoining). Although they are inside, you have a window overlooking the promenade. The kids really like this idea. It might be a way to say a little $, if that is what you are trying to do.