Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Need advice for pre and post-cruise stay in New Orleans :-)

We're sailing on the Grandeur out of New Orleans this fall.
We're going to stay over the night before the cruise and also the night after.
Our choices of where to stay were Hampton Inn Convention Center, Embassy Suites, or Hilton Riverside.
The Hampton is already sold out for one of the dates we need.
So now we're deciding between the Embassy Suites or the Hilton Riverside.
Has anyone stayed at one or both of these? How were they? Also which one would be better for us to stay at as far as location to the cruise pier and also getting to downtown New Orleans, etc... From the maps I've looked at so far these hotels look as if they are relatively close to each other, but it's hard to tell from which one it would be easier to get around.
From what I can see so far... Plusses for the Embassy are breakfast included and nightly happy hour included and also maybe nicer rooms since they are all suites? Plus for the Hilton is that it possibly seems closer to everything... with Riverwalk being attatched to it?
Another weird question... for anyone that's stayed in New Orleans...getting to the pier from your hotel or vice versa, did you take a cab so you didn't have to carry your luggage or how did that work out for you?This is also the first time in 6 cruises that we're doing our own air... all other times we had the transfers and didn't worry about luggage, etc...
I'd appreciate any opinions or input that anyone may have. We've never been to New Orleans before. That's the main reason we chose this particular cruise! I can't wait... :-)
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2002, 09:53 PM
luckydog

Default Re: Need advice for pre and post-cruise stay in New Orleans

Easy. No doubt about it. Stay at the Hilton Riverside, and try to get a room looking out over the river. The view is great, and this is a very nice hotel. Pete Fountain plays jazz in his club right in the hotel most Friday and Saturday nights.
I live 3 hours away from New Orleans, so I stay in hotels there often. The Hilton is an eas y (and relatively safe) walk from the French Quarter, the Aquarium, and a straight shot through the Riverwalk to the cruise ship port.
Have fun and let me know if I can help with any other questions'

luckydog
Old May 15th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Ronn

Default Re: Need advice for pre and post-cruise stay in New Orleans

Hi1
I have to agree with Luckydog. The Embassy is nice but the Hilton is attached to the Riverwalk and within easy walking distance of the Aquariaum; just across the plaza and only about four blocks from the Quarter.

Regarding luggage, unless you are traveling realllllllly light, I would spend the money for cab to take me around the convention center and deliver me to the pier. Walking through the Riverwalk with a lot of luggage is not the way to start out a relaxing cruise.

If you have time while in N'awlins, take the St. Charles street car and ride it to the end and back. You get a really nice riding tour of the Garden district and the beautiful homes, the park, Tulane University, etc. Then, in the Quarter, get coffee and beignets (hot square doughnuts with powered sugar) at the Cafe Dumonde', for lunch stop just across and down the street at the Central grocery or the Progressive Grocery two doors up and get a muffelata (sp.) sandwich; that easily feeds two. If your wife or you enjoy flea markets; back across the street is a four block long market that has about anything you might want or have missed on the cruise.

We have cruised out of N'awlins twice thus far and love it. We are booked on the Carnival Conquest next March. Have a great cruise and a wonderful experience in N.O.!
Ronn