Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
cricket55

Default Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

We are going on Voyager in Jan and considering various shore excursions. Any info and/or feedback on quality of excursion, value for $$, alternative suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. Details on specifics would be great!

Labadee- Waverunner for $99.00

This seems a little steep...is it worth it? How long is the excursion and what do you do. Also wondering if there are any other opportunities to rent waverunners on this cruise (in this port or others).

Cayman- Stingray tour

Which is the best tour, there are so many to choose from?

Jamaica- River tubing safari - $52.00
- Dunn's River Falls & private beach party - $46.00

Trying to decide between these 2 excursions. Worried about safety in Jamaica as I have heard others talk of being "ambushed" by locals, even on ship's tour-buses. Also, is it risky climbing falls or tubing (as far as getting injured)?

Cozumel - Catamaran sail, snorkel & beach party - $42.00
- Tulum tours
- Xel Ha

Catamaran tour sounds like a good deal. My 18 yr old son seems more interested in Tulum. Any feedback.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

Hi cricket,
We also did the waverunner in Labadee and it was worth the money, it did last for a few hours, you had to watch a video before hand and no, you could not rent them just on your own, only way is by booking the tour, which is a lot of fun. Two people can go and switch driving if you want, the faster riders go in front and the slower in the back with a guide going first and another guide going last. They do run the tours through out the day, but believe it or not, they do fill up, so book on-line if you decide you want to do it and go at a time you want rather than waiting to see whats left.

Have FUN!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 19th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

My husband did the wave runner and LOVED it (I was too chicken). He left it rather late to book, and had to take the 8 a.m. slot (first slot of the day). He was back by 10:00 and that was great as we had the rest of the day on lovely Labadee. I could watch him set off on the wave runner along the coast from the ship.

In Ocho Rios we didn't like the look of any of the tours (they weren't doing the river tubing). Instead we just wandered into town by ourselves (on foot) and then spent the rest of the day on the ship. People told us we would be hassled, but it was no worse than down-town San Francisco or Boston.

In Mexico we took the Tulum/ Xel Ha tour. It was great. We loved seeing the ruins and then it was lovely to have a swim at Xel Ha which was beautiful. We didn't have long enough there as you have to wait in line for snorkel gear and leave some sort of deposit (I think it was $20 + driver's license, but can't quite remember now). The tour stops for 15 minutes at a tourist shop on the way to Tulum and I actually wish we had bought a very cheap chess set that we saw there. The shop also has drinks, chips, ice-cream etc. After Tulum, the tour gives you a box lunch and plenty to drink on the coach as you drive to Xel Ha.

The ferry from the ship in Cozumel to Playa del Carmen was pretty rocky even though it was a beautiful day. My advice would be to sit on the top deck. My daughter actually felt quite sea-sick on the way back. Oh yes, they sell pretty good T shirts for $5 on that ferry boat.

Have a great time.
Vacationer
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Tulum is very interesting and well worth it if you are interested in history and cultures of other peoples. Small but beautiful place. You will still have time to go shopping and see Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel afterwards.
In Grand Cayman the Stingray City tour is a must do IMHO. You can do it as a ships tour or book it yourself EARLY with someone like Capt Marvin. You will still have time to snorkel on your own right near the tender piers at Edans Rock which is also worthwhile.
In Jamacia I recommend Dunns Falls, great fun and very interesting and the party is wonderful if a little wild. You also will still have enough time to take a quick run to the strawmarket downtown. We always walk ther by taking a sharp left at the entrance to the port treminal. Never had any problems with the locals, just treat them with the same respect you would expect and have a sense of humor. Jamacians are a funloving and warm people but can be nasty when they are disrespected.
Jim

Old June 20th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

In Jamaica, the Dunns River is a must. Its just something you need to do when you go to Jamaica. Its was amazing and then afterward you get drinks and play beach games. Very fun.

The waverunner price seems steep. I think you can just rent them whe you get there and not book it ahead of time. Something to check into.
Old June 20th, 2002, 06:23 PM
GP

Cricket55, I would definitely book with Capt. Marvin or Capt. Dexter for
stingray city. More bang for your buck, as they will take you to 3 snorkling
sites, cost less, and are small private and personable. (fun in cayman.com)
There really is no snorkeling at stingray city, and I would not do the ships
tour again...... and we are definitly not paying for the beach break tour when
I can pay a cab to take us to a public beach on seven mile beach (they're
all public)

The best tour we ever had was the catamaran trip to Dunn's Falls. The climb
was nice, but the ride back on the catamaran was the real fun, almost like
white river rafting, expect a wild ride, and snag a seat in front if you like getting
drenched. We're trying the tubing this trip, I heard it's fantastic. (would
like opinions from others though)

We just snorkle off the beach in Chankanauub Park in Cozumel. A $10
park entrance fee and $8 cab ride and the best snorkling in the caribbean
IMO

Waverunner-too expensive, even though the price is for two. Mostly all
lecture and film and two short ride time. You can buy bananna boat rides
from the shore for about $10. Waverunner has to be booked on board.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
carol eskra

Having been on 12 cruises, it has been my experience NOT to book through the cruiseline. You can get the same excursions once you leave the ship, and save quite a bit of money. Sometimes you can even dicker with the cruise operator and get their price reduced. Have never had a problem!cricket55 wrote:> We are going on Voyager in Jan and considering various shore> excursions. Any info and/or feedback on quality of excursion,> value for $$, alternative suggestions, etc. would be> appreciated. Details on specifics would be great!> > Labadee- Waverunner for $99.00> > This seems a little steep...is it worth it? How long is the> excursion and what do you do. Also wondering if there are any> other opportunities to rent waverunners on this cruise (in this> port or others).> > Cayman- Stingray tour> > Which is the best tour, there are so many to choose from?> > > Jamaica- River tubing safari - $52.00> - Dunn's River Falls & private beach party -> $46.00> > Trying to decide between these 2 excursions. Worried about> safety in Jamaica as I have heard others talk of being> "ambushed" by locals, even on ship's tour-buses. Also, is it> risky climbing falls or tubing (as far as getting injured)?> > Cozumel - Catamaran sail, snorkel & beach party - $42.00> - Tulum tours> - Xel Ha> > > Catamaran tour sounds like a good deal. My 18 yr old son> seems more interested in Tulum. Any feedback. > > Thanks for your help and advice.