Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old

My daughter-in-law isn't sure if she wants to sail with a 7 month old baby. My last cruise saw 3 little ones under a year and they all seemed happy sitting in their strollers. The pediatrician said only bottled water and to bring own food. Don't understand why baby couldn't eat ship food! Also t.a. seemed to think the cabins are too small for a crib. Tried to book a larger cabin but all sold out. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts and comments. Thank You.

Old July 3rd, 2002, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old

I don't know why anyone would cruise with a toddler. They don't get anything out of it and the parents are restricted from doing their own thing! You may think they're having a great time but their joy is not dependent on the cruise but could be substituted with Barney cartoons.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 5th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Having sailed with my daughter and two grandchildren (aged 2 and 4 at the time), I would tell your daughter-in-law to leave the baby at home with a trusted relative. The majority of the cabins are far too small for anything resembling a crib, a 7 month old in the dining room will be a real challenge (meals will be too slow to keep the baby happy), the parents will spend ALL OF THEIR TIME trying to keep the baby happy and will not truly enjoy the cruise. They will be restricted as to the activities they can enjoy in port (a baby can only take so much shopping, touring, beaching, etc.) and in general, I think both the baby and it's parents will be happier if the baby does not go. Now, once the baby is three or so, it is a different matter entirely.
Just my opinion - and I was the one that wanted my grandkids to go!
Old July 6th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old

I have traveled with young kids and had no problem. Don't let people change your mind. My sons have cruised with us five times. I had cribs in many cabins. Most lines provide them. So tell your sister-inlaw to take the baby and have fun.
Old July 8th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old

We cruised with our three month old. She was sleeping through the night so that wasn't a problem. Dining room wasn't a problem. She didn't eat anything - we brought our own formula (enfamil sells it in individual 4 oz. bottles - we shipped a couple of cases ahead) - bought diapers when we got to port (a day early). If you're making formula from powder, I would stick to bottled water (just to be overly cautious). In port, yes we were limited as to our activities (i.e., no helicopters to glaciers - it was an Alaska cruise) but for example, in Skagway, we rented a car (did this in advance as there aren't many cars to rent) and took a beautiful scenic drive that followed the same route as the train trip. We took boat rides (in covered boats). This summer will be more of a test as she is just over two years old and mobile; we going with my wife's side of the family - again, I recognize we can't do as much on shore - but she will be old enough to hire a babysitter on the ship for the evenings. (On Royal Caribbean, the child had to be at least one before we could hire a babysitter). I guess I don't worry about this as - where would the babysitter take the baby? We would never have gone without her. We didn't disturb anyone. This time around, the dining room will be more of a challenge (hence we plan for babysitters in the evening as we have late seating). We'll probably bring our daughter down to dinner for a little bit then take her back to the cabin and the sitter when she is "bored". It is my understanding the ship must provide a crib for children under 2. But there are only so many so you'll need to let your travel agent know. Our baby slept fine in the ship's crib. Or you can bring your own pack and play. Some cruise lines will allow sitters for any baby over 6 months; some for any age; Disney has a nursery for babies over 12 weeks. On the other hand, Princess won't take kids under 1.
Old July 8th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Do I need to give my opinion on this? No, I guess not..lol

Old July 10th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Cathey

We've sailed with a 6month and 4 year old. Yes it limited our time alone but we knew that before we sailed. It happen to be a Celebrity cruise. At first they refused us late sitting. But then ok'd it. We were at a table for 6 with just the 4 of us. We carried on diapers, baby food, water, juice, etc( just in case they lost the luggage). They did not offer day sitting for the 6 month old. We feed him in the room before we left for dinner then he had his bottle while we ate. He sat in his stroller during dinner.
But you can hire an in room sitter for the evening if you want to go out after dinner.
Your choice, but like its been said before don't let others make up your mind for ya.
Good luck and have fun.
Old July 10th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old

Thanks Cathey for the response. Unfortunately R.C. does not have in room babysitting for a baby under one year. Cathey wrote:> We've sailed with a 6month and 4 year old. Yes it limited> our time alone but we knew that before we sailed. It happen to> be a Celebrity cruise. At first they refused us late sitting. > But then ok'd it. We were at a table for 6 with just the 4 of> us. We carried on diapers, baby food, water, juice, etc( just> in case they lost the luggage). They did not offer day sitting> for the 6 month old. We feed him in the room before we left for> dinner then he had his bottle while we ate. He sat in his> stroller during dinner. > But you can hire an in room sitter for the evening if you> want to go out after dinner.> Your choice, but like its been said before don't let others> make up your mind for ya.> Good luck and have fun.
Old July 16th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Ardie

It's a had call. Our grandaughter was born on Crhistmas day, and I would like keep her when her parents get to take thier first cruise together