Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Default Newbie questions

Hello there,

I'm thinking about going on the cruise first time and have number of questions. I am thinking about going on Explorer of the seas on august 10. As far as cabin type I can't decide between Atrium stateroom or Oceanview stateroom. Atrium rooms available on deck 6 and oceanview on deck 2. How noisy Atrium room can be, what would be a better choice? I know that people book their cruises up to one week before departure. Will I get better deal just by waiting or it is better idea to book now? What is the best place to buy cruises? If I buy air tickets by myself what is the better way to get from Miami international airport to the port and what time is better for arrival? Should I arrange transportation RCCL or there are better choices?
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Newbie questions

Lucky,
Having cruise on Explorer last year, so far our best cruise ever, we did have a D7 cabin with a balcony and absolutely loved the cabin and location. Have heard a lot of nice things about the Atrium cabins as well, only major noise would be when they are having one of the parades go through, but hey, you get a great seat for that. Also, be sure to pull the drapes when changing etc., as the same cabins across the way can see into yours very easily and same for you.

You may also want to do a check with the "bargain Finder" here at Cruisemates and see if you can find any better prices for when you want to go, once you are comfortable with a travel agent and their services and of course the price, go ahead and book it, especially if there is a certain cabin or catagory that you really want.

http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm

Once you post in the bargain finder, travel agents will e-mail you with what they have on that specific cruise, its very easy and hassle free.

You can also get a lot of good information and tips by reading through the section for "first cruisers", should also answer a lot of your questions before you book:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...time/index.cfm

Just make sure you have the ship layout and can see where the available cabins are located, I personally need to have a window, but best yet a balcony, but I think the atrium cabins are also nice to have, its really a personal choice.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post here as often as you need!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 15th, 2002, 12:21 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Re: Newbie questions

I always book lowest inside guarantee, because I spend so little time in the cabin. This is what most people new to cruising also find, that they spend little time in the room. There's just too much to see and do. Balconies/outside rooms are very nice, but they cost a lot more. After you've been on a few cruises, you may decide that you would like to just hang out on your own private balcony. It really comes down to how much time you think you will be in the room and is it worth the price delta. For me, I'm in the room very little so I sleep cheap :-)
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Bill & Debbie

Default Re: Newbie questions

Havent had the opportunity to ride on a Voyager class ship yet, but was on the Radiance last year in Alaska..

1. We always get balcony cabins because we spend time outside and don't want to have to fight for deck space near the rail for pictures (may not be as much of a problem in the Caribbean?). Breakfast on the balcony is wonderful.

The artium cabins, I hear, are wonderful. The only noise you encounter is from the parades. But like the other poster says, you have the best seat available. I also understant that at night the cleaning crew comes through and all the lights may be on for a while, so you may need the duct tape to close the curtains tight.

2. Book early and check back on web sights about once a week (cruisedirect.com, bestbuycruises.com, etc). Occasionally the prices will decrease and you can call your travel agent and re-book. RCI gives them a refund and they will pass it along.

3. We havent been to Miami, but be sure to make your air arrangements so that you arrive there at least 1 day early so you can relax about geting to the ship on time. Make your return reservations for mid afternoon at the earliest. With custome, you're never sure. Check out RCI's prices, but you will usually do better yourself.

4. Get your passport now. Prices will be going up in August.