Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Keith and Judy

Default dress up

on the formal nights on the enchanment of the seas what do expect a person to have on? will A SUN DRESS BE OK?
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: dress up

Judy,
Yes, a sun dress will be fine for those "casual" dress nights.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Yeoman

I would feel very out of place wearing a sun dress on formal night. Have been on 12 cruises but have never seen a sun dress on formal night. Treat yourself to a lovely gown or a cocktail dress!
Old July 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Admiral

A SUN DRESS NOT good formal NIGHT be on! TAke be a gOWN!

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 15th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: dress up

There are always clothes disagreements. HA

I've been on 7 cruises and I've always worn a regular dress like you'd wear to work and when I cruise in Feb, that is what I'm taking for formal nights. I've never felt out of place. I've seen women in dress slacks. Wear what makes you feel comfortable as long as you look nice.
Old July 15th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Sun dresses are not considered proper wear for formal nights. Just because someone may wear one, doesn't make it proper. FORMAL means either a Tuxedo or dark suit for the men and a gown or formal dress for the ladies.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 15th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Thomas... you're funny!!!
Old July 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
CC

Formal night is really a special occassion. Lucky you... now is a great time to find a bargain with summer sales going on! I just found a beautiful formal on sale at Dillard's marked down to $68, then I went on sale day and got an extra 40% off!
If this is your first cruise and you think you will only wear it once...take heart! You WILL get hooked and want to cruise over and over.... so you will get lots of use out of that formal! Have fun!
Old July 16th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Okay, I can see I'm out numbered on this issue but I still truly believe from my experience that a regular type work dress is appropriate. I never wore a gown or cocktail dress and never plan too. When would I wear it again? A regular dress looks nice and many many others wear the same.
Old July 18th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Pam K

Default Re: Re: Re: dress up

I agree with everyone!!!
You can wear anything that is "dressy", it can be something as simple as that little black dress, formal, or very dressy work dress I have been on about 8 cruises and have seen all kinds of dresses and yes even dress slacks with fancy tops, just be aware that there will be those with snobbish attitudes, but if your comfortable with yourself they won't matter, so wear what you feel is best for you and enjoy yourself.
Pam
Old July 29th, 2002, 08:24 PM
ITCH4

Just got off Grandeur - Mexican Riviera cruise. Formal night was just that - formal. I would say that 85% was tuxes/silk suits for the men and formal gowns or beaded dresses for the women. Flash was the word. Just get a long formal skirt and two formal beaded tops and you'll be all set. The smart casual night is appropriate for fancy short dresses or nice pantsuits. You know, a cocktail dress - certainly not sundresses and the like. The other nights could be all sundresses, but know that lots of people still dressed a little nicer than that. The first night and the last night are "anything goes" except shorts. Never shorts in the dining room. The couple of men that did that got many dirty looks. The rest of us put in the effort to look as suggested in the newsletter and then they show up like that. And for crying out loud, don't run down to your cabin after dinner to change into shorts. You could see these people standing out like a sore thumb later in the evening. Dumb. Have fun and just take the right stuff!
Old July 29th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Yeoman

Thank You for writing such a beautiful review. I tried to tell "SUN DRESS" this was inappropriate attire but don't think I got through to her. Hope she treats herself to a lovely gown or cocktail dress because "we girls are worth it". I always dress to the 9's on formal night!