Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Grace Sadowski

Default Grandeur of the Seas

This message comes to you via Grandeur of the Seas internet.
We have just been to Mexico and are on our way home.
I'll share my experiences and practical advice.
Bring a flashlight, bring a power bar if you need more than one item plugged in, BRING SEA SICKNESS PATCHES you will need them because there is definite pronounced movement throughout the ship, bring your favourite coffee and make your own. (The coffee here is lousy.
The food is very mediocre. I've sailed on the Windstar and will forever be spoiled by great food on board. DO NOT take the Santa Maria snorkeling expedition. We had HUMAN WASTE Products floating in the water and I refused to get in. I did not let my child in either.
Do not go to Deer Island. There is a tiny shady Palapa for 15 people and 60 were trying to cram their poor heads out of the desert to get some shade and did not have room. You leave at 10:30 am and return at 3:30 and do not get lunch. They offer some appalling pastries and a drink.
In fact forget spending your hard earned money on expeditions and hire a driver to take you out for the day to do anything you like. (much cheaper too.) We did that in Puerto Vallarta and had a great day.
The pluses ? Great service by hardworking staff, met some wonderful folks at our table.
Another Big annoyance ...I am travelling with my teenage daughter and my waiter is constantly putting his arm around our shoulders, cutting up and FEEDING US our food even when we say NO !!! We dread going to dinner because of this. He thinks that this is amusing. This is WAY too familiar for us.
Sorry that I can't be more upbeat. This next sailing will be with the Windstar Cruises.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Grandeur of the Seas

Sorry to hear all that. I'm going in February. Hope things turn around.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 10:30 PM
Grace

Default Re: Re: Grandeur of the Seas

You'll be fine. Research the ports of call and plan your own excursions. Meeting great people is half the fun of a cruise so you will have a great time.
cheers
Grace
Old July 26th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Grandeur of the Seas

I think we'll have a blast. I got fed once by a waiter and loved it! I felt like a princess. I guess everyone is different. We are also going to different places than you've gone. I've seen other Grandeur reviews that people loved it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old July 29th, 2002, 12:46 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Grandeur of the Seas

We've sailed l5 times and on the Grandeur twice, once in the caribbean and once in Europe. Had FABULOUS service both times. The BEST waiter we EVER had is/was on that ship (named Gokhan - sp?) and he cracked us up the whole cruise. Even our friends still talk about him and say he is also the best waiter they ever had. If a waiter is doing something that makes you uncomfortable, if you don't want to mention it to him, talk to the head waiter and he will take care of it. That is what he is there for. The type of experience you get on a Windstar cruise is just different from a mainstream cruiseship. Though I haven't sailed Windstar, I have read a LOT about it. I'm sure it's very nice, though it wouldn't be for everybody as maybe a mainstream ship wasn't for the poster above. Don't worry if you are going on the Grandeur. You will most likely love it. One thing the poster did that you will find often pays off: get a cabbie or someone not affilitated with the ship tours to give you a little tour of the location you are visiting. Be friendly and talk to him. People love to show you "their" world. And you'll no doubt save $, too.
Old July 29th, 2002, 08:15 PM
ITCH4

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grandeur of the Seas

I was just on the Grandeur - Mexican Riviera cruise - last week and I find it hard to believe we both sailed on the same itinerary. We had a blast, thought that the food was the best in the world! As far as the electric plugs, there were TWO (not one) that were 120V. I'm sure that is plenty for most people. However, I just took a short extension cord and therefore was able to take the hairdryer and curling iron into the bathroom without waking up the young girl I was traveling with. This is because there are no plugs in the bathroom, only one for electric razors over the sink. The movement on the ship was just fine - there was only one night that was a little rough, but what do you expect when we were going through Hurricane Douglas' trail?!?! It was only a couple of hours during sleeping hours, so upon arriving at Cabo and waiting a couple of hours, all was normal again. I don't understand your comments on the ship's movement. By the way, how did you go snorkeling when those excursions were cancelled that day?!?!?! As far as Deer Island, the description sounded like what you got - that's why we didn't sign up. Lastly, if any of the waiters, especially if it was the head waiter, tried to cut up MY food, it would be the last time he-she was able to use a knife! The only thing they "cut" for us was the lobster tail shell. What in the world was cut for you???? People, don't take one person's bad experience as representing everyone. Two people on the same ship and all I saw was elegance, pampering, smiles, and an extremely clean ship. Every time I used a restroom, it was like as though they had just cleaned it for my arrival. As a side note, the dealers on the craps table were the best. When I was playing, I was the only one that tipped them on a continual basis - never saw anyone else do it. They said that it was unfortunate that most people didn't think they should. TIP THE DEALERS IF YOU ARE WINNING!!!!!!